By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

JRPGfan said:
Miyamotoo said:

Lower clocks does not effect on price point :)   Rumours saying price point is $249-299.

Actually yes it does.

Its easier to make chips that dont malfunktion, if they are running lower clock speeds.

299$ price might just kill the Switch's sales as a homeconsole.

Im hopeing Nintendo are able to sell this at 199$.

Actually it doesn't, Eurogamer itself that Tegra X1 in Shield console were running at 2000 GHz for CPU and 1000 MHz for GPU, Nintendo chosen lower clocks because battery life and basically safest option. They could easily make those same Switch chip running at higher clocle if they wanted.

You cant know about price point until we see January Switch even and Nintendo games ruing on it, but with all on mind (not just clocs), for now $249 sounds like great price.

New 3DS XL is still selling pretty good at price point of $199, so expecting that Switch that is basically hybrid of home console and handheld will sell for $199 is not realistic.

Around the Network
Mr.GameCrazy said:
Conina said:

Vita = 20 GF? I've seen numbers around 50 - 56 GF for it.

http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

I know this isn't the Vita's power, but man the amount of GF for the 3DS is small (4.8 GF to be exact).

Are the 4.8 GF official? I miss the Kaizar posts where he "proved" that the 3DS is almost as fast (or even faster) than the Vita: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5295250

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Is this bad news? Wouldn't this mean better battery life and a lower price point, closer to $199? It's not like Nintendo needs the extra power to make great games.

If you're looking for "AAA" games and glossy graphics, why care about Switch in the first place?

Honestly, I think it's much more important for Nintendo to sell a cheap system with a lot of accessible games than it is to sell a powerful system and try to recruit big-name third parties. So this makes sense to me.

The hardcore gamers will balk, but who cares. I doubt they were interested to begin with. Reminds me of one of the comments in the NES Classic thread: "I wasn't planning on getting one but this would be enough to put me off doing so."

It would just be nice to see a LoZ, or Xenoblade, or even a Metroid use graphics that are last gen, not technically two gens behind it. It would be VERY possible to see a home console now at a very cheap price point (hell, even xbone and ps4 Vanille edition are going to be $200 very shortly). 

And then knowing for 5 years this is going to be a thing. 5 more years and I have to pay more money to get games I'd rather not pay for hardware for, and get basically the same experience as what I have now (actually less if you consider I could be playing these games with dual screens which while some were a disaster others were very well done).

Conina said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

I know this isn't the Vita's power, but man the amount of GF for the 3DS is small (4.8 GF to be exact).

Are the 4.8 GF official? I miss the Kaizar posts where he "proved" that the 3DS is almost as fast (or even faster) than the Vita: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5295250

To be honest, I have no idea.

iirc Tegra's Shield TV runs really hot for a "mobile" chip, so there was unfortunately no way we'd be seeing that kind of performance if Nintendo simply took the X1 and put it into a handheld. Does this mean that it's safe to assume that the Switch won't be boasting an X2 after all? Those numbers pretty much kill all hope of getting the vast majority of PS4/XB1 titles on Switch. It's a pity, cause there are a couple AAA titles that would work pretty well on handheld, I think.

Anyway, this still isn't a dealbreaker for me. At $250, if the game support is solid, which it should be, it's still worthwhile purchase for me. It's still a massive upgrade from the 3DS, and probably a significant jump from the Wii U as well, gigaflops be damned.

Oh yeah, you guys can also forget about VR with those specs. Get hyped for Switch 2.0!

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Pre-order cancelled, that's just shocking.

I don't see the big deal here.   Its massively more powerful than the 3DS and the CPU alone destroys the VITA.  Stop sucking on the 4k dick. Seriously folks.  Why are we dismissing a gaming platform without even talking about games? Answer that fucking question.  I'm starting to hate gaming forums.   You guys don't even like games do you?  Please admit it so I can just get over it.  

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro

celador said:
so I guess the Skyrim port is from the PS3 version

they better fucking knock it out of the park with software

The fact that we aren't even talking about games anymore is really bothering me.  Like at my core.  Why are we even here? 

CosmicSex said:
Random_Matt said:

I don't see the big deal here.   Its massively more powerful than the 3DS and the CPU alone destroys the VITA.  Stop sucking on the 4k dick. Seriously folks.  Why are we dismissing a gaming platform without even talking about games? Answer that fucking question.  I'm starting to hate gaming forums.   You guys don't even like games do you?  Please admit it so I can just get over it.  

4K? I don't care about 4K, i just wanted this to be the shield TV in HH at the very least. It's not, so i'll move on.

CosmicSex said:
celador said:
so I guess the Skyrim port is from the PS3 version

they better fucking knock it out of the park with software

The fact that we aren't even talking about games anymore is really bothering me.  Like at my core.  Why are we even here? 

You're in a thread that's specifically about a piece of hardwares performance, and wondering why the discussion isn't leaning more towards software? Maybe try a thread more suited to your tastes.

CosmicSex said:
Random_Matt said:

Might have something to do with there only being a single game for it shown so far.... Or that the entire thread topic is on hardware specs.