By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Making PC great again - what hardware should I buy?

WolfpackN64 said:
Trunkin said:
Nvidia cards work way, way, WAY better in Linux than AMD. Like, it's not even close, unless you're using the open source drivers for your GPU, in which case Nvidia is garbage. I'd really like to support AMD, but I'd be basically shooting myself in the foot. Check the benchmarks. Unless something drastic changed with this latest gen, you pretty much have just one option for Linux gaming: Nvidia.

It's not that dramatic. The AMDGPU driver has made leaps and bounds and the difference with Catalyst isn't as big anymore. Nvidia needs closed source drivers to work and that's just silly on Linux. I game on linux with an old R7 265 and it works just fine.

You're right. I may have exaggerated a tad, based on my experience of seeing the gtx960 outperform literally every AMD card in a benchmark a few years back. Still, there is a gap, and in most situations Nvidia performance difference between Linux and Windows is smaller than AMD. Those  recent 480x benchmarks give me some hope, though. It might be worth it jumping ship soon. AMD is much more attractive to me as a company, and their commitment to open standards is commendable.

As for open source, I figured that anyone gaming in Linux had pretty much already resigned themselves to using closed source software in some capacity.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
Raistline said:
I cannot give you an honest suggestion for PC parts until you tell me what your budget is. From there I can give you the best suggestions that will put you as close to you budget as possible.

I can and even suggest a few areas where it would be advisable to upgrade if you can increase your budget by X dollars. For example if your budget puts you at a GTX 1050 range, I would also suggest that if you spen $30 more you could a GTX 1060 or ATI 480 and get 2x performance increase.

I haven't really thought about the budget. I'm not that into PC's to know which components have high value - and can be expected to be easilly upgraded a couple of years in the future.

When it comes to PC's everything is upgradable honestly. 

The thing to know is that Graphics cards are usally the easiest to upgrade and give you the most performance between upgrades. The downside is that they become obsolete much faster than the rest of the PC. Plan on a 2-3 year upgrade schedule depending on how much you intially pay into it.

• Low end price: 150-250
  • Mid Price:         250-400
  • Hi-end Price:    400+

CPU's can be upgraded but often have to be upgraded at the same time as the motherboard as architectures change. The reason behind this is that CPU upgrades are often not worth it unless you buy a really cheap chip with plans to buy a higher end version when you have the money. If you buy at least a mid-grade chip it will last you 5 years before it becoes obsolete. 

• Low end price: CPU: 70-150     Mobo: 50-125
  • Mid Price:         CPU: 150-400   Mobo: 125-200
  • Hi-end Price:    CPU: 400+         Mobo: 200+        

Right now the Memory sweet spot is 16GB but if you are buying now i'd suggest 32GB. Memory is tied for the second longest lasting part in your PC and can last long enough that you can use it with two sets of CPU/Motherboard upgrades. I personally used the same set of DD3 sticks (8GB) for nearly 6 years and with two differnt motherboard/cpu compbos. 

• Low end price: 16GB: 45-75
  • Mid Price:         16GB: 75-125
  • Hi-end Price:    16GB: 125+

The part that is tied with the Memory for longest lasting part is your system storage, aka: SSD or HDD. Best suggstion here is a 512GB SSD and somewhere between 1-3TB's on an HDD. This combo will easily last you years and years. Just make sure you also buy hard drive that is at least the same total size as your SSD and HDD so that you have one for backups. Unless you are running programs like Photoshop all day long you should just stick to decen non-performance based drives. It is a waste of money otherwise.

• Non-performance SSD Price: 256GB: 125-150
  • Non-performance HDD Price: 1TB: 75-125

Finally the longest lasting part for you PC would your Power Supply. Buy a good 650W Silver or higher 80 PLUS rating power supply and it will outlast every other part in your system. Never go cheap on your PSU, if you do and have a failure it can fry the rest of your PC. Go with a strong name brand and 80 PLUS  silver as a minimum.

• 650W 80 PLUS Silver price: 90-125
  • 650W 80PLUS Gold price: 115-200
All prices are US Internet retail pricing.

ktay95 said:
bdbdbd said:

Nah, Apple and gaming would sound hipster.

No that would be retarted 

What's the difference?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

@Jemc: Starting January the earliest. I have to buy components only a couple at a time for few months, as I have my car to fix at the same time (cylinder head cracked and turbo leaks oil, it's likely going to get a minor power upgrade from 130hp to ~200hp as well as I fix it).

@Raistline: Thank you! Very useful information. I was thinking as fast as possible 32/64 or so GB SSD as a root/home and HDD for everything else. That's because how fast the SSD prices are (hopefully) going to drop - though, 32GB is way too small if I have that much RAM (although, planning on swappiness=0 anyway).
It's likely that I upgrade the OS every two years (Ubuntu LTS), and I've liked it clean, so this is where I could change the SSD if I need to.

Basically, parts that I need to upgrade, I can also reuse on another computer, as I have quite a few kids who are likely going to want their own computers too at some point.

The reason I was thinking the upgradeability, is because I learned some time ago that laptops aren't necessarily upgradeable. My netbook (wife's netbook actually) RAM maxes out at 2GB, CPU cannot be changed, and if it could be, the socket wouldn't fit anything even remotedly modern.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Apples and Linuxes..

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
ktay95 said:

No that would be retarted 

What's the difference?

touché

Maybe tell your budget range first?

bdbdbd said:
@Jemc: Starting January the earliest. I have to buy components only a couple at a time for few months, as I have my car to fix at the same time (cylinder head cracked and turbo leaks oil, it's likely going to get a minor power upgrade from 130hp to ~200hp as well as I fix it).

Basically, parts that I need to upgrade, I can also reuse on another computer, as I have quite a few kids who are likely going to want their own computers too at some point.

The reason I was thinking the upgradeability, is because I learned some time ago that laptops aren't necessarily upgradeable. My netbook (wife's netbook actually) RAM maxes out at 2GB, CPU cannot be changed, and if it could be, the socket wouldn't fit anything even remotedly modern.

If you're going to buy it in parts, I would start with the components with stable prices first, like the case, PSU and RAM, then the ones that don't change too fast like SSD/HDDs, motherboard and CPU and lastly the GPU.

That should allow you to see the impact of the new Intel and AMD processors and the launch of AMD's Vega GPUs in the market.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Here

By him a Macbook instead. He'll be the coolest kid on the block. lol