By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware estimates in the OP!

JRPGfan said:

Supposedly the PSVR numbers (from the neogaf thread):

PSVR October - 155,000
PSVR November - >70,000

So more than 225k americans own a PSVR headset.

Thats pretty good numbers there. Most likely over 500k now WW. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

its nice to see that the ps4 only took a 100k lead with ps4pro release

If those numbers are true then those are bad numbers in the US for both. The one who needs to worry the most is definitely MS cause US is their biggest market by far. I haven't made the math but Sony seems to be Up YoY worldwide for the year while being big time down YoY in the US for the year. Next year will be interesting.

Aura7541 said:
jason1637 said:

Link to the PR for the late november numbers pls. 50m is nice but if they were up for Nov WW they would have said so.

Here's the late November 2015 PR and here's the end of 2015 PR. Also, Sony didn't say the PS4 was up YOY when they released its late November 2015 PR, but it was up YOY over 2014.

My advice to you is to abstain from looking into things way too much. Just wait for all the numbers to come in and then access the situation. Yeah, I know. We are all eager for the numbers, but we need to be patient.

Try saying that to the Switch followers XD Nearly Every rumor get over 100 replies. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Nuvendil said:
Soundwave said:
That's a "win" for the XBox then in my books. They had no business even being close with Sony having a new PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro models for the month.

Congrats to them.  Burning all those mountains of money has got to be its own reward to some degree but I imagine it's gotta be nice to at least come close to having it achieve something :P

Although I saw the closer race coming.  I knew PS would win, but Sony basically pulled a Nintendo from 2014:  they had an arsenal at hand they didn't properly use.  They had the Pro, but it had no note worthy discounts or sales and had NO bundles in the season where sales and bundles are what just what sell.  They had a bundle for the Slim...one.  They didn't agressively price.  Their marketing was not nearly as ubiquitous as it should have been, especially with a new console launching.  

When companies choose to more or less coast, they get coasting results.  Nintendo coasted in 2014 and their numbers came in under expectations, Sony coasted this year and came in under expectations.  

Meanwhile, Microsoft marketed agressively, bundled like mad, slashed prices.  I mean, it's the same "let's set fire to a mountain of money to 'improve' our business" strategy they've been throwing around for a long while but it's still working well enough, especially since Sony did not counter with agressive marketing like they have previously.  

I already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I need to say it again. It's mind boggling how different SIEA and SIEE function. In the EU and UK, SIEE offered a plethora of PS4 deals and bundles at attractive prices. That was how the PS4 managed to be up 3% YOY on Black Friday week in the UK. In contrast, SIEA seems to be prioritizing revenue. Rely on one bundle that includes a 1st party game, sell as many Pros at the $399 pricetag, and let the retailers do the wheel-and-dealing.

Jranation said:
Aura7541 said:

Here's the late November 2015 PR and here's the end of 2015 PR. Also, Sony didn't say the PS4 was up YOY when they released its late November 2015 PR, but it was up YOY over 2014.

My advice to you is to abstain from looking into things way too much. Just wait for all the numbers to come in and then access the situation. Yeah, I know. We are all eager for the numbers, but we need to be patient.

Try saying that to the Switch followers XD Nearly Every rumor get over 100 replies. 

Oh dear, that was pretty crazy. I always avoided those threads. I'm still pretty excited for the Switch though and I really want Pokemon Star on it >_<

Around the Network
3sexty said:
Insidb said:

Who you calling, "buddies," pal!?

Ur LAMO Buddy...or is that LMAO Buddy/Pal thingy !  I'm terrible with all that lingo stuff :)

I know it's really dumb, but I can't recall what movie it's from: "I'm not your 'buddy,' pal!"

3sexty said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I have given up. I never known anybody predict the end of consoles on one NPD. I told him why I think it's not the end of consoles but apparently he only wants me to use US NPD numbers to prove it isn't... Like wtf! Lmao! 

O and according to him if you say lmao you are really mad and angry. I guess this guy is full of presumptions. Lmao!

Come on man..I think you are being a tad dramatic here – These are only my opinions and it really does not matter that much in the bigger scheme of things. Moving on, rather than predicting the end of consoles right now, I merely stated that if Nov NPD is a sign of a declining trend then that would not be good for Sony with 3 huge selling factors all lined up that month. And yet hardware was down for them,- even with all the aforementioned 3 factors. That is the main point I am focussing on and hence my question to you was why do you think Nov turned out like this? –(and honestly you have not specifically answered this). I would be interested to hear how and why such an anomaly occurred in the NPD month of Nov. Look and I could be wrong about an immediate trend developing (and I am happy to be as I have in the past) and Dec and thereafter will provide a clearer picture as I have said to another poster on this very thread.. Also I have always stated consoles will transition to an online service eventually and expect this to occur within 10 years as tvs and devices run an app like gaming service which we are seeing now on pcs and convertibles – so yes indeed, longer term, I think console hardware as an industry will diminish moving forward (even though I prefer them).  To this end I simply think MS have done more homework in this regard and are better positioned for such a transition to an actual gaming service.  Anyhoo... As for the lmao comment, I'm not a guy that spends a lot of time on social media or even posting a great deal on these kind of sites - as you will see my score is significantly less  (since 2007)than someone like yourself who posts a great deal more here.  I'm not accustomed to such acronyms being used in response to someone 's genuine opinion - when a well considered and courteous reply would more than suffice. Cheers

You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to laugh at it if I think it's stupid. You opinion that the console market is dying from one NPD that covers only the US is hilariously stupid. I really think it is and that's my opinion. Hense the LMAO.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you, the PS4 is trending on par or more than last year worlwide. That almost an entire years worth of data for the whole market against the data you used (1 month and 1 market). But you want to completely ignore this and then use the "it's a NPD thread" excuse to avoid talking about it. If you want to talk about an issue that is a worldwide thing, guess what? You have to talk about worldwide figures.

As for the console market dying, no it's not going to dies anytime soon. Shrink maybe but with Switch around the corner and Scorpio at the end of the year, I can't see that happening in the next few years.

Now about MS being prepared more that Sony, maybe, but I only see MS moving from consoles hardware to PC hardware. Do you think it's only gaming consoles that are going to die or all gaming hardware like gaming PCs, gaming PCs in a box (Steam box possible Scorpio) and consoles (handheld and home)? What do you think to Sony having PS Now, a service that can stream games? As far as I'm aware MS do not have anything like that (despite your claims that they do). PS Now is something that doesn't really on consoles and can be ran on any cheap laptop and smart TV. Isn't that not more prepared than anything that MS for a future without gaming hardware?

SWORDF1SH said:
3sexty said:

Come on man..I think you are being a tad dramatic here – These are only my opinions and it really does not matter that much in the bigger scheme of things. Moving on, rather than predicting the end of consoles right now, I merely stated that if Nov NPD is a sign of a declining trend then that would not be good for Sony with 3 huge selling factors all lined up that month. And yet hardware was down for them,- even with all the aforementioned 3 factors. That is the main point I am focussing on and hence my question to you was why do you think Nov turned out like this? –(and honestly you have not specifically answered this). I would be interested to hear how and why such an anomaly occurred in the NPD month of Nov. Look and I could be wrong about an immediate trend developing (and I am happy to be as I have in the past) and Dec and thereafter will provide a clearer picture as I have said to another poster on this very thread.. Also I have always stated consoles will transition to an online service eventually and expect this to occur within 10 years as tvs and devices run an app like gaming service which we are seeing now on pcs and convertibles – so yes indeed, longer term, I think console hardware as an industry will diminish moving forward (even though I prefer them).  To this end I simply think MS have done more homework in this regard and are better positioned for such a transition to an actual gaming service.  Anyhoo... As for the lmao comment, I'm not a guy that spends a lot of time on social media or even posting a great deal on these kind of sites - as you will see my score is significantly less  (since 2007)than someone like yourself who posts a great deal more here.  I'm not accustomed to such acronyms being used in response to someone 's genuine opinion - when a well considered and courteous reply would more than suffice. Cheers

You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to laugh at it if I think it's stupid. You opinion that the console market is dying from one NPD that covers only the US is hilariously stupid. I really think it is and that's my opinion. Hense the LMAO.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you, the PS4 is trending on par or more than last year worlwide. That almost an entire years worth of data for the whole market against the data you used (1 month and 1 market). But you want to completely ignore this and then use the "it's a NPD thread" excuse to avoid talking about it. If you want to talk about an issue that is a worldwide thing, guess what? You have to talk about worldwide figures.

As for the console market dying, no it's not going to dies anytime soon. Shrink maybe but with Switch around the corner and Scorpio at the end of the year, I can't see that happening in the next few years.

Now about MS being prepared more that Sony, maybe, but I only see MS moving from consoles hardware to PC hardware. Do you think it's only gaming consoles that are going to die or all gaming hardware like gaming PCs, gaming PCs in a box (Steam box possible Scorpio) and consoles (handheld and home)? What do you think to Sony having PS Now, a service that can stream games? As far as I'm aware MS do not have anything like that (despite your claims that they do). PS Now is something that doesn't really on consoles and can be ran on any cheap laptop and smart TV. Isn't that not more prepared than anything that MS for a future without gaming hardware?

Ok that's heaps better. My opinion based theories were contingent on ifs and buts, and beginning signs of a gradual decline rather than a fall of a cliff so to speak - yeh so not quite as dramatic.  Then it appears that neither of us can explain the November NPD anomaly - falling short of any far fetched or stupid theories as you would like to put them. Maybe that was just a freak month for unknown reasons? Who knows and Dec may see a reverse trend? Regarding PS Now I did make a comment about that previously - up a couple of posts.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

3sexty said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Ok that's heaps better. My opinion based theories were contingent on ifs and buts, and beginning signs of a gradual decline rather than a fall of a cliff so to speak - yeh so not quite as dramatic.  Then it appears that neither of us can explain the November NPD anomaly - falling short of any far fetched or stupid theories as you would like to put them. Maybe that was just a freak month for unknown reasons? Who knows and Dec may see a reverse trend? Regarding PS Now I did make a comment about that previously - up a couple of posts.

Its very possible that December might be down also and that 2017 reverses the trend, just due to the amount of games coming out next year, which will definately push hardware. Interesting to watch, not great for my wallet though :(

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

JRPGfan said:

Supposedly the PSVR numbers (from the neogaf thread):

PSVR October - 155,000
PSVR November - >70,000

So more than 225k americans own a PSVR headset.

Windows Central also said PSVR was 68,000 and John Harker said around 225K, so October was probably 155K - 160K.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287