By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do gamers suck so bad?

hershel_layton said:
why do people care so much about trophies? just enjoy the game...

Trophies/Achievmennts/Steam...bits? can safely considered part of the game now. Ignore or dive into at your leisure. I do both. I played Rocket League for the first time in 7-8 months last night. Got The Trifecta trophy in my first match. Had a blast overall. Trophy was a nice touch tho. 

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
why do people care so much about trophies? just enjoy the game...

This isn't so much about trophies as "why are so many people willing to install and start a game yet not complete the first brief and very easy mission? The mystery deepens when freebie trophies pop just for playing through mandatory tutorials in some games, yet trophy stats show 2% didn't make it that far...

Knitemare said:
Yeah, I only cared once for trophies and was because Killzone 2 Multiplayer. After that, never again. Just play the games for the story and fun... nothing more.

Trophies can be fun.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Intrinsic said:
Games these days are no longer about skill, but rather systems.

At some point, the best selling and most sought after games were usually the ones that were hard to beat. A gsme could have just 7 levels and literally take you days to beat it. and in truth if done right those levels probably weren't more than 40mins a piece.

If games like the witcher or any 12-20hr game you can think of today were made with that kinda difficulty less than 5% of gamers today will best them and all those games would end up being called niche titles.

It's a fact that games these days are a lot easier. Which unfortunately means that devs have to come up with creative ways to give the game more depth and value (fetch quests).

I miss the hard games. I miss when difficulty settings actually meant something. Now. I default to the hard difficulty before playing any game just to get a decent challenge.

if I were to make a game, say like the order 1886, if you are really really really good you may finish it in 4hrs.... but when playing it for the first time no one will beat it in under 40hrs. they will die a lot. a lot.

but why should a game suddenly be inferior for not being difficult? Would that mean a game like Mario Galaxy 2 is worse than Duck Hunt or any other old game which(most likely) was more difficult?

I love the megaman series for its wide variety of gameplay methods and difficulty. However, I prefer the newer starforce series over the old ones. Yes, the originals are amazing, but the newer games we see today gain much more depth and content to it. That isn't to say that either gens deserve bashing- they both sacrifice something in exchange for an advantage they can boast. 

Thankfully, we don't always need to give one up for the other. There are a lot of hard games made in the past two generations. Cave Story, mutant mudds, shovel knight, dark souls, etc. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

It's not gamers that "suck".I don't care about trophies at all. Never did and never will. I never needed a meaningless digital trophy to help me enjoy a game or get more out of it,I make up my own fun even when I done everything in a game.

Around the Network

I'm not into trophy thing myself.
But the "20% don't get 1st trophy" isn't really related to trophies in general, nor to few finishing a game they started.

IMHO the low stat of completing 1st "automatic" trophy probably reflects rentals/borrowing never played.
And if we consider that these "non-players" are skewing overall trophy figures, it's clear the # should be adjusted.
If we remove the 20% "non-player players", then trophy stats of ACTUAL PLAYERS should increase by 25%.
So a 50% trophy completion stat is actually more like 63% of people who actually played.  20% is more like 25%. 

I haven't played TW in particular but you know, most people just plays casually and doesn't care about trophies. They just want to enjoy the game. Then there's that group of people that put the disc and never actually start the game, mainly because they bought it on sale and weren't really interested.

I remember neptunia rebirth 1 where all you had to do was actually start a playthrough and almost 3% didn't have that trophy, after that every chapter had less % of people completing it lol

It's been like that for a while, probably longer .

http://kotaku.com/5832450/nine-out-of-10-will-not-finish-the-game-they-are-playing

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/08/pillars-of-eternity-does-it-matter-if-people-dont-finish-games-any-more

New adventure Pillars of Eternity has received huge critical adulation. So why have just 6.4% of players finished it? Apparently only 15% finished Alien Isolation. Deus Ex: Human revolution stands at about 25%, while Bioshock manages a more respectable 35.9%. With Bungie’s online shooter Destiny, there’s a large percentage who have never actually played the game co-operatively, or seen the end game content – and only 15% have completed a raid.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/17/finishing.videogames.snow/

"Just 10 years ago, I recall some standard that only 20% of gamers ever finish a game," says John Lee, VP of marketing at Raptr and former executive at Capcom, THQ and Sega.
And it's not just dull games that go unfinished. Critically acclaimed ones do, too. Take last year's "Red Dead Redemption." You might think Rockstar's gritty Western would be played more than others, given the praise it enjoyed, but you'd be wrong.
Only 10% of avid gamers completed the final mission, according to Raptr, which tracks more than 23 million gaming sessions.

I have installed games, patched them, started them, then put them away for later. Too busy. I just counted, I have 12 physical games on the shelf I have not really made time to play yet. Games are simply too long nowadays. RPGs are a huge time commitment and hard to pick back up later. So I better have a quiet month or more to start one, it's not looking good for Bloodborne and DA: Inquisition.

A lot of these huge games get boring a lot faster too nowadays. So much busy work. It's not skill to finish these games, it's an endurance test. I finished TW3 and Fallout 4 last year, I'm taking a break from these time hogs this year. Sorry FF15. I actually recently returned Xenoblade X without getting further than the tutorial. No time or will to go on with it. I'm sure it's great, it's just too much work. VR is more fun than another grind.

Jpcc86 said:
My guess is most haven't even started playing the game yet. Many people buy games when they are on sale, like just now with black friday/cyber monday, but not necesarrily play them right away.

That's my story. Installed it, saw a butt and said I can't wait to play this.  Then, I commenced to playing 10 other games.

It happens.

d21lewis said:
Jpcc86 said:
My guess is most haven't even started playing the game yet. Many people buy games when they are on sale, like just now with black friday/cyber monday, but not necesarrily play them right away.

That's my story. Installed it, saw a butt and said I can't wait to play this.  Then, I commenced to playing 10 other games.

It happens.

Story of my life after I started working... 

See a trailer of a new game.

get amazed.

wait for it to come out.

buy it.

try it a few minutes (sometimes 1 or 2 hours).

See a trailer of a new game...

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.