By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV's Sales In Japan: It Is Time For Japanese Devs To Support Switch?

FF is fine where it is. It's largely a western game by now, and in the specific case of XV, no port will make sense anymore as the engine has been deprecated and deemed unworthy of future projects during development. It might be the only FF game not to release on PC.

Around the Network
Safiir said:
Soundwave said:

You mean outside of like the 10-15 million selling third party titles on the 3DS? 

Maybe developers are the ones who are in the wrong here. 

The 3DS will outsell the every Sony system in Japan, even the PS2. It will outsell the Famicom, Super Famicom, and Wii. 

And that is right in the middle of the smartphone storm. 

And yet it still gets treated like a red headed step child in many instances when it comes to Japanese support. It's ridiculous really. 

If the Switch is treated the same way, fuck Japanese developers, they deserve the fate that's waiting for them which is their own greedy board of directors and investors turning on them and forcing them to work on smartphone games exclusively, because there is going to be no market left in Japan and the West is not going to be a savior for Japanese games with its weird art styles and effeminate characters and quirks either. 

Dude, seriously, make up your mind. Are you going to count western sales or not?

I've made my point pretty clear in this thread. 

If there are deficiencies in the Switch market reach ... third parties should HELP Nintendo. You know like kinda how they announce 10 games for the PS or XBox before they even sell 1 system.

Yeah that might be nice for Nintendo to have some help for a change and that might actually broaden the audience base, don't you think? 

You think there would be wide genre support on Sony or MS platforms if Sony and MS were left alone to support said systems with their own 1st/2nd party titles? 

If Japanese developers don't think they should invest in the Switch and they just want to keep on with business (bad business) as usual, then you know really, you can't stop someone from shooting themselves in the head I guess. Nintendo is trying to save the Japanese game market with Switch if the developers are too stupid to not to be able to see that, welp, they deserve what they're going to get. And I will be the first to laugh at Final Fantasy XVII ... for iOS/Android, because that will be the platform they deserve to work on. 

BraLoD said:
Hynad said:

Here's some very easy piece of factoid for you: Japanese developers don't sell their games only in Japan. They're not "supposed to sell a AAA Japanese game on an anemic userbase", because Japan gamers are not the entirety of that userbase. So spare us your ridiculous and disingenuous 3.4M userbase number.

You actually touched a fine point there.
Games with huge investments behind them, will hardly aim for a specific region, but to the whole world, and specifically in Japan, they have being dropping in interest, while minor games are still keeping up, but in the rest of the world, interest for high profile games is much, much greater.
FFXV sales are also a nice point to that.

What AAA games from Japan are even left?

Betcha the FFXVI team is being told they're not going to be given the budget/time for XV team got. Not with these sell through numbers and not with likely S-E having poisoned the brand with retailers by overshipping out their ass. 

There's not going to be anyone left in Japan willing to finance Japanese games that have any kind of large budget the way things are going now. 

You think S-E is going to greenlight a Final Fantasy game for say the PS5 which has an even higher budget due to increasing graphics demands the way this shit show is shaking out? Noooooope.

Soundwave said:
Safiir said:

Dude, seriously, make up your mind. Are you going to count western sales or not?

If there are deficiencies in the Switch market reach ... third parties should HELP Nintendo. You know like kinda how they announce 10 games for the PS or XBox before they even sell 1 system.

Yeah that might be nice for Nintendo to have some help for a change and that might actually broaden the audience base, don't you think? 

You think there would be wide genre support on Sony or MS platforms if Sony and MS were left alone to support said systems with their own 1st/2nd party titles? 

If Japanese developers don't think they should invest in the Switch and they just want to keep on with business (bad business) as usual, then you know really, you can't stop someone from shooting themselves in the head I guess. Nintendo is trying to save the Japanese game market with Switch if the developers are too stupid to not to be able to see that, welp, they deserve what they're going to get. And I will be the first to laugh at Final Fantasy XVII ... for iOS/Android, because that will be the platform they deserve to work on. 

No, you haven't made your point clear. You're using WW numbers when citing sales for the 3ds and japan-only numbers when talking about ps4. Why?

Safiir said:
Soundwave said:

No, you haven't made your point clear. You're using WW numbers when citing sales for the 3ds and japan-only numbers when talking about ps4. Why?

The only numbers internationally we have for FFXV are from the UK, and those are lower than FFXIII was. 

Beyond that Final Fantasy has always been a crown jewel franchise in Japan, that's always been it's driving base, you can't just hand wave away the collapse we're seeing here. 

How many IP in general start off hot in one market, lose that market, and then get bailed out in other markets? That just isn't a sensible business policy, I can't even think of many franchises that have worked that way. 

Around the Network

What kind of thread is this?

Soundwave said:
Safiir said:

The only numbers internationally we have for FFXV are from the UK, and those are lower than FFXIII was. 

Beyond that Final Fantasy has always been a crown jewel franchise in Japan, that's always been it's driving base, you can't just hand wave away the collapse we're seeing here. 

How many IP in general start off hot in one market, lose that market, and then get bailed out in other markets? That just isn't a sensible business policy, I can't even think of many franchises that have worked that way. 

FF XIII sold 1.87M on PS3 during its entire run in Japan. Final Fantasy X did 2.73M for the PS2 during its entire run in Japan. How is FF XV doing nearly 700k during its first week remotely bad?

BraLoD said:
Soundwave said:

What AAA games from Japan are even left?

Betcha the FFXVI team is being told they're not going to be given the budget/time for XV team got. Not with these sell through numbers and not with likely S-E having poisoned the brand with retailers by overshipping out their ass. 

There's not going to be anyone left in Japan willing to finance Japanese games that have any kind of large budget the way things are going now. 

You think S-E is going to greenlight a Final Fantasy game for say the PS5 which has an even higher budget due to increasing graphics demands the way this shit show is shaking out? Noooooope.

What does this question have to do with anything I've posted? Seriously?
I'm pointing AAA games sell better elsewhere, which is the truth, if Japan lacks AAA games being developed there nowdays, and the only one, as you are implying with this question, is also selling better elsewhere, your question is also supporting my post, even not being related to anything I've actually said.
AAA games aren't focused on the Japan audience primarly anymore, even a Japanese AAA game.

Thanks for agreeing.

Nothing is selling up to par in Japan at all, but Nintendo and Monster Hunter stuff basically at this point. 

This isn't even just about AAA games, this is about Japanese games period. A lot of these developers are going to be forced into making iOS/Android games because there is no foundation for traditional gaming in Japan left outside of Nintendo and they're too damn stubborn to support Nintendo I guess. I hope that changes with the Switch, but who knows. 

When they go to pitch their next project and ask for money from the business suits at their company, they are not going to get it because the business suits are not fucking stupid. They don't give a crap about gaming, this is just cold, hard dollars and cents (and yen) to them. Without a plausible large scale Japanese user base to point and say "this is a audience we feel we can sell to", Japanese developers are screwed for traditional gaming. 

The West is not going to be a messiah for Japanese gamers either the "dudebros" here don't give a poop about some game with some feminine looking boy band reject on the cover. If Square-Enix wanted to make a fantasy game for the Western audience, they should watch some freaking Game Of Thrones. That's the shit people in the West want to see, not some road trip bromance with Korean J-Pop Stars. But "selling out" to Western interests isn't really the answer either. If people want a Western game ... they're gonna play like one of the 10383838 Western games, a Japanese "take" on that will always come off like a cheap imitation. 

Soundwave said:
BraLoD said:

What does this question have to do with anything I've posted? Seriously?
I'm pointing AAA games sell better elsewhere, which is the truth, if Japan lacks AAA games being developed there nowdays, and the only one, as you are implying with this question, is also selling better elsewhere, your question is also supporting my post, even not being related to anything I've actually said.
AAA games aren't focused on the Japan audience primarly anymore, even a Japanese AAA game.

Thanks for agreeing.

Nothing is selling up to par in Japan at all, but Nintendo and Monster Hunter stuff basically at this point. 

This isn't even just about AAA games, this is about Japanese games period. A lot of these developers are going to be forced into making iOS/Android games because there is no foundation for traditional gaming in Japan left outside of Nintendo and they're too damn stubborn to support Nintendo I guess. I hope that changes with the Switch, but who knows. 

The West is not going to be a messiah for Japanese gamers either the "dudebros" here don't give a poop about some game with some feminine looking boy band reject on the cover. If Square-Enix wanted to make a fantasy game for the Western audience, they should watch some freaking Game Of Thrones. That's the shit people in the West want to see, not some road trip bromance with Korean J-Pop Stars. 

Until we have actual numbers showing how well the game sold in the west, it would be nice if you'd tone down the trolling and generalizations. They don't help your semblance of argument one bit, and they make my eyes bleed.

BraLoD said:
Soundwave said:

The West is not going to be a messiah for Japanese gamers either the "dudebros" here don't give a poop about some game with some feminine looking boy band reject on the cover. If Square-Enix wanted to make a fantasy game for the Western audience, they should watch some freaking Game Of Thrones. That's the shit people in the West want to see, not some road trip bromance with Korean J-Pop Stars. 

Yeah... it's the developers fault for not supporting Nintendo... *sigh*

And then there comes more nonsense, about FFXV, when we are watching it sells the best on UK ever, and shipments as the highest ever as well, even while underperforming strongly in Japan compared to the past...

Well, you should just say you want it so much on your desired platform just 'cause, and let it go, really, no need to keep this sad act going on.

It isn't underperforming in Japan. We don't have the data for digital sales. And people jump to conclusions based on what they know of western buying habits. Which obviously don't apply to Japan.