By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Switch's processing power important to you?

Is it?

Very, I won't buy it if it's weak 171 25.26%

Moderately so 281 41.51%

Not really 127 18.76%

No, power doesn't matter to me 63 9.31%

No, cos I'm not buying one 35 5.17%

Total:677
Miyamotoo said:

You dont need to look years at all, just compare directly Wii hardware with PS3/Xbox360 and Switch with XB1/PS4, and you will see that gap between Switch and XB1/PS4 will be much smaller than Wii was compared to PS3/Xbox360.

Problem is switch is being released in the year where both ps4pro and scorpio are available. People and developers WILL be comparing it to them as well, not only to ps4/xboxone. And then the gap will seem quite dramatic.

Around the Network

Important to me directly? Nope, I only care about games. Important to me indirectly, DEFINITELY, its power determines what games and ports come to it.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

In terms of power, Wii was similar to 2001 hardware, Wii U was about equal to what a 2007 console would have been, and if Switch is around three times as powerful as Wii U, that would put it around par with what a mid range 2011 system could have achieved. So all three are around 5 years behind the curve.

And no, "modern hardware" doesn't change that. If Switch is x3 Wii U, then it is mid range 2011 power.

You dont need to look years at all, just compare directly Wii hardware with PS3/Xbox360 and Switch with XB1/PS4, and you will see that gap between Switch and XB1/PS4 will be much smaller than Wii was compared to PS3/Xbox360.

Modern hardware and tech do not change power gap, but its important from development perspective because supporting modern techs, engings, APIs, tools...make things easier for developers and they can do more with it, compared to some old hardware and tech, and Switch will easily have most modern hardware and tech for any Nintendo hardware from GC.

But the Wii released a single year after the ps3 xbox 360, Switch has released between the 3rd and 4th year of PS4 and Xbone. If it should be compared with anything it should be PS4pro and the Scorpio (released same year as Switch, and for the same price as the OG PS4 and Xbone). The power gap is actually worse comparitively. 

That's not even mentioning it will be on the market for years after PS5 and Xbox Whatever release (approximately for 2 years if we give a 5 year life span for Nintendo with a new console releasing in 2022, and a 7 year span for PS4 and Xbone putting us at 2020 for PS5/Xbox W). 

Even the Wii U released to keep the power gap at a minimum with PS4 and Xbone, it's gonna be flat out sad when 9th gen takes full effect.

Safiir said:
Miyamotoo said:

Problem is switch is being released in the year where both ps4pro and scorpio are available. People and developers WILL be comparing it to them as well, not only to ps4/xboxone. And then the gap will seem quite dramatic.

Regardless, if Switch is popular and actual sales, some developers will do games for Switch also, and despite Pro and Scorpio, PS4 and XB1 will stay much more popular consoles.

bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:

Modern hardware and tech do not change power gap, but its important from development perspective because supporting modern techs, engings, APIs, tools...make things easier for developers and they can do more with it, compared to some old hardware and tech, and Switch will easily have most modern hardware and tech for any Nintendo hardware from GC.

But the Wii released a single year after the ps3 xbox 360, Switch has released between the 3rd and 4th year of PS4 and Xbone. If it should be compared with anything it should be PS4pro and the Scorpio (released same year as Switch, and for the same price as the OG PS4 and Xbone). The power gap is actually worse comparitively. 

That's not even mentioning it will be on the market for years after PS5 and Xbox Whatever release (approximately for 2 years if we give a 5 year life span for Nintendo with a new console releasing in 2022, and a 7 year span for PS4 and Xbone putting us at 2020 for PS5/Xbox W). 

Even the Wii U released to keep the power gap at a minimum with PS4 and Xbone, it's gonna be flat out sad when 9th gen takes full effect.

And Wii still was 15-20x less powerful than PS3/Xbox360, Switch can be compared to PS4Pro/Scorpio but doesn't need because PS4 and Xbox One are staying on market and they will be more popular versions of consoles compared to Pro/Scorpio, and Switch will get ports from XB1/PS4. And no, power gap isn't actually worse even if you compare with Pro and Scorpio, Wii was 15-20x less powerfule than Xbox360/PS3, while Switch will be around 10x less powerful even if Scorpio really ends with power of around 6TFLOPS

Nintendo easily can also release more powerful version of Switch in mid gen, same like MS and Sony are doing.

Wii U released to be Nintendo HD (720p) console not to compete with PS4/XB1, and XB1 is around 5-6 stronger than Wii U not minimum.

Miyamotoo said:
Safiir said:

Regardless, if Switch is popular and actual sales, some developers will do games for Switch also, and despite Pro and Scorpio, PS4 and XB1 will stay much more popular consoles.

bigtakilla said:

And Wii still was 15-20x less powerful than PS3/Xbox360, Switch can be compared to PS4Pro/Scorpio but doesn't need because PS4 and Xbox One are staying on market and they will be more popular versions of consoles compared to Pro/Scorpio, and Switch will get ports from XB1/PS4. And no, power gap isn't actually worse even if you compare with Pro and Scorpio, Wii was 15-20x less powerfule than Xbox360/PS3, while Switch will be around 10x less powerful even if Scorpio really ends with power of around 6TFLOPS

Nintendo easily can also release more powerful version of Switch in mid gen, same like MS and Sony are doing.

Wii U released to be Nintendo HD (720p) console not to compete with PS4/XB1, and XB1 is around 5-6 stronger than Wii U not minimum.

Yes, but you have to look at it from the developer's point of view. Most will start/have started making the games for ps4pro/scorpio. It is very easy and takes little time to just drop the resolution and effects/AA to make them run on ps4/xboxone. Mostly because they are very similar in architecture and are already powerful enough. Switch however will not only be significantly weaker but will also be a vastly different architecture.

The reality is there will not be a lot of ports for the switch. The game has to be made from ground-up for the switch. And I'm sure there will be plenty of games like that if switch proves popular and has good sales. But it has to be that way. They won't be able to just port most games.

Around the Network
Safiir said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, but you have to look at it from the developer's point of view. Most will start/have started making the games for ps4pro/scorpio. It is very easy and takes little time to just drop the resolution and effects/AA to make them run on ps4/xboxone. Mostly because they are very similar in architecture and are already powerful enough. Switch however will not only be significantly weaker but will also be a vastly different architecture.

The reality is there will not be a lot of ports for the switch. The game has to be made from ground-up for the switch. And I'm sure there will be plenty of games like that if switch proves popular and has good sales. But it has to be that way. They won't be able to just port most games.

I am aware of all that, but like I wrote, if iSwitch is popular and actual sales, some developers will do games for Switch also.

Of Course that games don't need to make from ground-up for Switch, 3rd party developers can just port XB1 version of games to Switch.

No, they can't. The original xbox is struggling with games as is. One of the reasons the slim version has become so popular is because it's extra juice actually allows the games to run pretty decently. A console with half the power of the xbox will not be able to run xbox/ps4 games without a significant time and effort on the part of the developers. There's no possible way to straight-up port the graphically demanding xbox/ps4 games to switch.

I'm not saying this to bash the switch. I just want you to have clear expectations. Games have to be made with switch in mind. Obviously indie games and smaller budget games won't have problems being easily ported but the issue with nintendo consoles has always been about big budget third party titles. And switch won't change that.

No only games matter me thats all

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Safiir said:

No, they can't. The original xbox is struggling with games as is. One of the reasons the slim version has become so popular is because it's extra juice actually allows the games to run pretty decently. A console with half the power of the xbox will not be able to run xbox/ps4 games without a significant time and effort on the part of the developers. There's no possible way to straight-up port the graphically demanding xbox/ps4 games to switch.

I'm not saying this to bash the switch. I just want you to have clear expectations. Games have to be made with switch in mind. Obviously indie games and smaller budget games won't have problems being easily ported but the issue with nintendo consoles has always been about big budget third party titles. And switch won't change that.

Offcourse they can. Do you know what exatly "port" means and what means "made from ground-up" game. Almost all Switch multiplatforms games will be ports of XB1/PS4 games, not "made from ground-up" games offcourse. Of Course there will not be straight-up XB1 ports, they will be scaled down XB1 ports, but fact is they are still ports. XB1S is more popular because it has 4k player not because it 5% stronger than older XB1.

I have very clear expectations, evre PS4/XB1 could be ported to Switch, and point if Switch will actually have some 3rd party games depends from 3rd party developers only, and that mostly depend from point if Switch will be popular and have good sales. We actualy have few very trustisble insader from Neogaf saying that "developers will have little to none problems porting XB1/PS4 games to Switch and that if they will port game depends from them". Point is that Switch hardware and tech is are very modern tech and hardware, with help of modern APIs and tools, and that all make thats easy to work with it regardless it's less powerful than XB1/PS4.

The one thing that worries me about Switch is the games they showed in the trailer, specifically things like Splatoon, Mario Kart, etc. looked basically just like Wii U games.

Even the new Mario game looked a bit better than Mario 3D World (considering it only has one character on screen instead of 4) but it didn't look like a PS4-tier game to me. 

There's no guarantee Nintendo will use a fully clocked chip here. Even a Tegra X1 consumes up to 20 watts when pushing full load without an LCD screen to account for, that's pretty hot when you consider all the internal hardware of the Switch has to be inside a very small central space there and then also consider a large chunk of that internal space has to be taken up by a large battery.

My worry is Nintendo basically told Nvidia that something just a little better than a Wii U was good enough and that they focused otherwise on keeping the power consumption low. Seems like a very Nintendo-ish thing to do.

I'm not so sure we're getting like a 20 watt Tegra X2 (docked). It may well be some more akin to a downclocked 10 watt Tegra X2 (docked) and 5 watt (undocked).