By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Switch's processing power important to you?

Is it?

Very, I won't buy it if it's weak 171 25.26%

Moderately so 281 41.51%

Not really 127 18.76%

No, power doesn't matter to me 63 9.31%

No, cos I'm not buying one 35 5.17%

Total:677

I wouldn't mind if Nintendo sold a Supplemental Dock that has a second Tegra processor in there which doubles+ the horsepower so that 1080p is doable for play at home. I would be OK with that.

Around the Network

Its a Nintendo system so no. I dont expect much processing power, especially this being a hybrid. Its not like Ninty even pushes the systems themselves anyway. Maybe a game or 2. Dont care about it getting 3rd party games as I have a system for that. Just needs a good price and games

Soundwave said:
I wouldn't mind if Nintendo sold a Supplemental Dock that has a second Tegra processor in there which doubles+ the horsepower so that 1080p is doable for play at home. I would be OK with that.

thats not gonna happen

oniyide said:
Soundwave said:

thats not gonna happen

Maybe, maybe not. I'm prepared for it to basically just be literally a portable Wii U or perhaps something better. 

bigtakilla said:
JWeinCom said:

I can't really answer that cause I don't know what games are coming out, or what the switch's price an such will be.  O_o... Of what we know so far though, Sonic 2017 has a chance.  

Games don't necessarily need to sell a million.  They need to make enough to cover the price of porting and make a reasonable profit.  One million sales equals about 16 million dollars in revenue.  Odds are that a port will cost waaaay less than that, so sales of 500-750K may be enough to make it worth it in a lot of cases.  Especially when you factor in potential revenue from DLC.  And, Nintendo could waive part or all of the platform fee to make porting more enticing.

Then I could see the issues with exclusives, but ports should take relatively little cost comparitively. Saying they made no money off million sellers on games bult for 3 to 4 poeces of hardware is insane.

Well, that really depends.  The budgets for some games are absolutely insane.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
oniyide said:

thats not gonna happen

Maybe, maybe not. I'm prepared for it to basically just be literally a portable Wii U or perhaps something better. 

Same. I wouldnt even be mad at that, portables is one thing Ninty does real well, so Its good IMHO

Soundwave said:

If that multiple chip scenario is doable, not only would it be a cheaper upgrade/add on solution...it also opens up the possibility for Xavier tegra coming out in '17, just so happens to be x2 (double the gpu cores in) Switch.  So if the handheld is "switch", then this could be the Fuse box lol sell it with a pro controller and done.  After that, take the same xavier chip and put that into a new 1080p tablet etc.

se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:

If that multiple chip scenario is doable, not only would it be a cheaper upgrade/add on solution...it also opens up the possibility for Xavier tegra coming out in '17, just so happens to be x2 (double the gpu cores in) Switch.  So if the handheld is "switch", then this could be the Fuse box lol sell it with a pro controller and done.  After that, take the same xavier chip and put that into a new 1080p tablet etc.

Before this talk gets too crazy, I don't think Nintendo will go that far with it. 

Fundamentally they're going to want the same experience on mobile, that will be the main focus, everything has to work well on mobile, so having a dock that is like something ridiculous like 5x more powerful isn't going to fly. 

I was just saying *maybe* there could be an option where you have the portable version of a game that can run at home at 1080p instead of 540p-720p, but not much changes otherwise. 

I don't think Nintendo wants situation either where you are playing a game at home and then "Switch" to portable mode and the game freezes/locks and then suddenly the graphics are waaaaaay worse and your frame rate is miles worse. 

I'd guess right now graphics maybe 2x better than a PS3/360 at 720p, all I was saying is I wouldn't mind that same graphic fidelity but at 1080p as an optional cheap dock. Getting into wholly different graphics architectures/generational leaps in performance though ... that is whole other can of worms. 

A little, but if it's weaker than I expect that won't be a deal breaker.

4 ≈ One

Soundwave said:
se7en7thre3 said:

Before this talk gets too crazy, I don't think Nintendo will go that far with it. 

Fundamentally they're going to want the same experience on mobile, that will be the main focus, everything has to work well on mobile, so having a dock that is like something ridiculous like 5x more powerful isn't going to fly. 

I was just saying *maybe* there could be an option where you have the portable version of a game that can run at home at 1080p instead of 540p-720p, but not much changes otherwise. 

I don't think Nintendo wants situation either where you are playing a game at home and then "Switch" to portable mode and the game freezes/locks and then suddenly the graphics are waaaaaay worse and your frame rate is miles worse. 

I'd guess right now graphics maybe 2x better than a PS3/360 at 720p, all I was saying is I wouldn't mind that same graphic fidelity but at 1080p as an optional cheap dock. Getting into wholly different graphics architectures/generational leaps in performance though ... that is whole other can of worms. 

I think for the moment thats right on, but what I'm  alluding to is the Nvidia partership + mobile tech focus which opens up new possibilities and smoother/quicker upgrading process.