By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch v Scorpio v PS5. Who's going to win the generation?

Who wins next gen?

Switch 11 30.56%

Scorpio 3 8.33%

PS5 22 61.11%

Total:36

Switch is obviously going to win but what do you think?

Maybe superduper graphics power and 100GB installs will be what the market chooses. Personally I think portability and local multiplayer will win out. I also think most of the younger crowd will upgrade to a $250 game/media playing Switch over the latest $500 iPad.

The 'inevitable' destruction of mobile games at the hand of smartphones/tablets hasn't occurred. It's the opposite. Nintendo has shown that smartphone/tablets can be exploited to boost dedicated handheld games to heights never seen before.

I think Switch is going to be the laptop to the personal organiser (smartphone/tablet) and the desktop pc (Scorpio/PS5/PC).

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

no

New Switch v Xbox Two v PS5

who's winner ?  

PS5  

The PS5? I think you're thinking way ahead. We're at the halfway mark of the current gen. Also, Nintendo does not make or break generations. They march to the beat of their own drummer. They are the only brand that is walking into next gen.

Well, PS5 and Switch are gen 9 systems so, it's not right to compare 8th and 9th gen. It should be Xbox Two vs PS4 and Switch. And between those three, it's between Switch and PS4 worldwide. It's impossible to pick a winner because we don't know if Switch is going to take off with casuals. If it does, Sony can forget about it.

I think Xbox Two takes the US though... easily. This generation is starting to resemble the 6th generation where at the last 2 years, Xbox is starting to gain on Playstation in the US. I remember back in 2004 how the first Xbox coupled with Halo 2 really became the "it" thing here and it allowed the 360 to take the US. 

Bandorr said:
The ps5.

More powerful, more games, better graphics.

Oh and I also think it will shoot bunnies out of its ports.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

no

who's winner ?  

PS5  

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

no

who's winner ?  

PS5  

You should understand that Sony only enetered the gaming market to sell CDs, DVDs, BluRay. They've used these to leverage console sales and used the console to leverage media sales. Sony can't do that anymore. MS knows the physical format wars are over. They're retreating to PC and struggling to tackle Steam/GOG whilst losing to Sony on the console front.

Sony hasn't made any breakout IPs for a long while, Sony lives and dies by 3rd parties. Nintendo handhelds don't have 3rd party issues.

Around the Network

Scorpio isn't going to compete against PS5. Xbox Two (or whatever MS ends up calling it) will compete with PS5.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The PS5? I think you're thinking way ahead. We're at the halfway mark of the current gen. Also, Nintendo does not make or break generations. They march to the beat of their own drummer. They are the only brand that is walking into next gen.

You wish it was the halfway mark. Sony has already started the gen but is pretending they haven't. Sega-fail.

WiiU/XBO/PS4 is current gen.

Switch/Scorpio(12months?)/PS4.5-5.0 is the next gen.

Upgraded hardware is a new gen.

Marketing tricks don't decide the new gen.

Pyro as Bill said:
Bandorr said:
The ps5.

More powerful, more games, better graphics.

Oh and I also think it will shoot bunnies out of its ports.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

no

who's winner ?  

PS5  

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

no

who's winner ?  

PS5  

You should understand that Sony only enetered the gaming market to sell CDs, DVDs, BluRay. They've used these to leverage console sales and used the console to leverage media sales. Sony can't do that anymore. MS knows the physical format wars are over. They're retreating to PC and struggling to tackle Steam/GOG whilst losing to Sony on the console front.

Sony hasn't made any breakout IPs for a long while, Sony lives and dies by 3rd parties. Nintendo handhelds don't have 3rd party issues.

Wrong. Nintendo brought Sony into the gaming industry and walked out on them after using Sony's developers under their nose. Sony and them worked together and when Sonys lawyers wrote up the contract Nintendo left them high and dry at CES. Nintendo NEEDED Sony for their formats, not the other way around. Sony got into the industry to get even and realized that the gaming industry was second nature for them. They dominated the second they started because they made formats and affected the way the quality of storage and formats are made.  The gaming industry killed two birds with one stone because they could push formats on both fronts. 

The only company who tried to get into the industry because outsider interest is Microsoft who was threatened by Sony and Nintendos lack of need to partner with them like Sega had. Microsoft has been Sonys shadow ever since.

Scorpio is still an Xbox One last I checked. It's mid gen upgrade, just because it's a more powerful upgrade than the PS4 Pro doesn't mean it wasn't made to compete with it.