By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Tech Support

The power went out in my area about an hour and a half ago. After it was restored, I turned on my Wii U to find that the internal memory is shot, so the console is essentially bricked at the moment. After a few choice platitudes, I dialed Nintendo's technical support number.

Now, knowing the unfairly bad rep Nintendo's tech support has among the gaming community at large for some reason, I was planning to record my phone call to show you all how quick and simple it is to set up a repair. I have some recording software for my Blackberry that I had yet to use, so I set it up before making the call. However, whenever I attempt to copy it to Windows, it either fails or the file becomes corrupted and won't play in any of my media players.

So I'll just have to describe it for ya. I was on the phone for a grand total of 13 minutes and 37 seconds. It took about 90 seconds for me to go through the menu options and get to an agent on the phone. I gave him my credentials, he saw that I have a call history with NTS, I told hiim the problem and error code, he looked up the error code and verfied that the problem matched up with it, he told me I can send it in for repairs and told me the procedure, I asked about repair costs, he explained that this type of error would be free of charge, I verified my shipping address and information for him. He then placed me on hold to take another couple of minutes to enter and double-check all this information into the system to give me a repair order number and a reference number, and told me that my console would have two-day shipping both ways, and an extra 100 days warranty after the repair. Couldn't argue with that. Oh, and he let me spend a few minutes griping about Oklahoma weather and wondering why any of us still live here. The guy was very friendly and engaged. They always have been. I'm sure we've all talked to agents on the phone from cable/phone/PC/ISP services that we can't quite say the same about.

I've danced this dance before. Tomorrow, I'll print out the shipping label, take it to UPS, ship it off, and I'll likely have my console back in a week (I already know what the tech is going to do is easy-peezy; I'm an IT technician myself). I've sent off my Wii (twice) and my 3DS, both of them chock full of saves and downloaded games. I have never lost any data on them after getting them back. People are so scared of losing their data when sending it to Nintendo, but I don't think I recall ever hearing a testimony of this happening. I'm very confident that I won't lose anything on the Wii U.

TL:DR  = Nintendo's Tech Support is great. Stop hating on it.

Around the Network

People hate nintendo tech support? Thought it was the opposite. They have done a lot of things free of charge, they even have text support, and I never waited more than five minutes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Love them. My first Wii U broke in 2014. They sent me a new one and it took like 2 weeks. Worked flawlessly. But there was this one time i called because I had a problem with the 3DS, and the guy asked me "Do you mean a DS" i was telling him the 3DS and it took him like 5 minutes to figure out what a 3DS was.

13 minutes, 37 seconds.

I see what you did there.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Not really sure what this is supposed to prove, to be honest. One person calls, randomly gets an agent with experience, and is perfectly happy. Next person calls, randomly gets an agent with very little experience, and ends up frustrated. That's how the tech support industry works.

Around the Network

Say goodbye to your save data but you'll be up and going in a week or so. Was pissed I lost all my save data in a system transfer that went semi wrong (Nintendo ID transferred but save file transfer for download games went bye bye. Still had the saves on the 3DS retail games though considering they were saved to the game cartridge.

I personally love their tech support, not cause the people there are nice which they are but good god the "on hold" music is epic. Everytime OoT plays, it brings a tear to my eye

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

axumblade said:
I had a great experience with them earlier this year when I lost my Wii U console after the car accident I was in earlier this year (I didn't realize it was in my car when I had to get my stuff out of it and by the time I realized what had happened it was too late). My boyfriend bought me a new one for my birthday and I called Nintendo and they were excellent about helping me get my profile onto my Wii U.

Perhaps it was a bad idea to put a holder on the end of the Gamecube afterall.  Now everyone seems to be carrying their systems around and some don't even realize it.

burninmylight said:

The power went out in my area about an hour and a half ago. After it was restored, I turned on my Wii U to find that the internal memory is shot, so the console is essentially bricked at the moment. After a few choice platitudes, I dialed Nintendo's technical support number.

Now, knowing the unfairly bad rep Nintendo's tech support has among the gaming community at large for some reason, I was planning to record my phone call to show you all how quick and simple it is to set up a repair. I have some recording software for my Blackberry that I had yet to use, so I set it up before making the call. However, whenever I attempt to copy it to Windows, it either fails or the file becomes corrupted and won't play in any of my media players.

Yeah, and my dog ate my homework. Why even mention that "proof", if it can't be shown? ;)

Besides that, I'm sure Nintendo's tech support is just as good as the tech supports of the competitors. They will have all have many helpful people and a few bad apples.

Conina said:
burninmylight said:

However, whenever I attempt to copy it to Windows, it either fails or the file becomes corrupted and won't play in any of my media players.

Yeah, and my dog ate my homework. Why even mention that "proof", if it can't be shown? ;)

Besides that, I'm sure Nintendo's tech support is just as good as the tech supports of the competitors. They will have all have many helpful people and a few bad apples.

Let me just google bad experiences with Windows 10 and see what comes up.