By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Final Fantasy XV Metacritic Thread: 82 with 90 reviews. (Final score?)

So, are you hyped?

Absolutely, this'll be an amazing game! 256 30.33%

Yeah, I hope this turns out great! 193 22.87%

Sure, it'll be good. 78 9.24%

Meh, no strong feelings about it. 85 10.07%

Nah, looks bland. 40 4.74%

Eww, not really. Looks stupid. 22 2.61%

Nope. This shit is destroying Final Fantasy. 68 8.06%

I just want Noctis x Prom... 16 1.90%

No female members = no buy. 42 4.98%

Jpop emo band, unite! 44 5.21%

Total:844
starcraft said:
Great.

So the review embargo drops at 2am on the day of release in Australia.

Can people please stop pre-ordering games until reviews start coming out a few days in advance?

This is such an anti-consumer crock of bullshit.

maybe because reviews are irrelevant these days? espacialy if it is a japanese game to be reviewed by a bunch of western sites

Around the Network
Ruler said:
starcraft said:
Great.

Can people please stop pre-ordering games until reviews start coming out a few days in advance?

maybe because reviews are irrelevant these days? espacialy if it is a japanese game to be reviewed by a bunch of western sites

I disagree entirely.

I recognize that some views are tarnished by a commercially-inspired bias, but by and large professional reviews remain a key element of information-gathering for consumers wanting to know if a game is worth their money.

Pre-order bonuses were once a reasonable tool to bring forward revenue and cement an idea of sales. Now when combined with last minute (or even post-launch) review embargoes, they are nothing more than a scam!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Ruler said:

I disagree entirely.

I recognize that some views are tarnished by a commercially-inspired bias, but by and large professional reviews remain a key element of information-gathering for consumers wanting to know if a game is worth their money.

Pre-order bonuses were once a reasonable tool to bring forward revenue and cement an idea of sales. Now when combined with last minute (or even post-launch) review embargoes, they are nothing more than a scam!

Not to mention preorders are supposed to be a sign of trust and  90% of companies out there have done everything they can to destroy any trust and good will they had - western or Japanese - with obscenely priced season passes,  and special ultimate collectors editions, and microtransations, and overrsized preorder bonuses.  The movement ofreview embargoes to day-of or post launch is just the latest and most blatant middle finger to consumers.  

Also, plenty of Japanese games get fair shakes from western reviewers, I would say most do.  It's just that goofs or negative criticism gets blown out of proportion by whining fans.   

weaveworld said:
Hynad said:

The concensus so far, from people who got the game early and the media posting pre-reviews is that the gameplay is really fun, especially the battle system, but it's the way the story it told that some people have issues with. But most everywhere I read, people say the game is really good and the story of Noctis is intriguing and interesting.

I think a lot of the complaints so far come off as nitpicks, because of the nature of the game, its history and the unrealistic expectations that come with that as a result.

I sure hope that those people went through the delightful trouble of watching Brotherhood and Kingsglaive first. Gives so much more depth when starting playing this game.

Why should they their job is to review the game , now if the game  featured both the Brotherhood and Kingsglaive  as a package you might have a point , otherwise when the next Halo or Elderscrolls comes out are the reviewers  meant to have read all the books associated with those universes.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

xl-klaudkil said:
17 hours into the game.
It has a slow and boring start.
After the blockade (chap3) holy shit.
Welcome back final fantasy king of jrpgs, welcome back.

This is why I feel some games can't be judged based on only a few hours into them.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Ruler said:
starcraft said:
Great.

That might have been valid once but a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since FF was seen as a purely Japanese game , now it's largest audience is in the west and has been for around twenty years, we aren't talking about some niche jrpg only understandable by it's japanese audience and  a hard core Western audience.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

BasilZero said:
vivster said:

Considering if this game really gets high reviews it will be come a future direction of the series it affects me, yes. If this game gets a high score it will just validate my fears. The FFs I hated most in the series are the ones that scored highest. Since I don't like this one, the only conclusion is that it will get great reviews.

At least I have my SSD installed so I won't suffer as long.

Dont worry, there will be plenty of waifu and harem games from Japan coming out in the future.

There was a time when FF games were those games. Good times.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

golfgt170 said:
vivster said:

The FFs I hated most in the series are the ones that scored highest.

FF X (which is my all time favorite) has 92% meta. You did not like X?

The games of FF I did not like were mostly due to a boring story with bland characters and a lifeless world. That includes FFVI, FFVII and FFX. To FFX's merit though, the gameplay and amount of content were pretty nice. It was the only FF after FF3 that did not use an ATB system which made it 100% round based combat. The ability system allowed for a lot of creativity, the monster quests were actually hard and there were so many different secrets and side activities. Blitzball was great until you got good players.

But for me gameplay is only second rate in FF. If I'm not interested in the characters or the world, then it failed. That's why FFXV already failed for me.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm incredibly hyped! I'm expecting it to get a 76 meta average. Lots of irrelevant talk about development times, gender of main characters, etc. Few arbitrary things to really bring down the score.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
I'm incredibly hyped! I'm expecting it to get a 76 meta average. Lots of irrelevant talk about development times, gender of main characters, etc. Few arbitrary things to really bring down the score.

They already did that with FFXIII and it got to 83.