By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch: Will we see a VitaTV like device as well?

Will we see it?

Yes, it will be there on launch 1 4.00%

Yes, but it will be released post launch 10 40.00%

Nope, Nintendo will never release this 8 32.00%

Results 6 24.00%

Total:25

So basically a TV box that included the tegra chip, comes with one pro controller and doesnt have a screen or battery, a bigger case (better cooling) to safe costs? If Nintendo screw the screen, battery, and small case and replace the detachable controllers with a pro controller they might be able to sell this system 100$ off.
It will obviously have a card drive to play all switch games, just wont be mobile.

So probl 250-300$ switch, 150-200$ TVConsole. So people that arnt interested in the portable aspect might be interested in this? Or cant afford the switch.

Bigger player => better third party support.

On the other hand this would basically kill the main purpose of the switch

Around the Network

Maybe? But it won't be till the middle of the Switch's life if we do.

If the Switch concept tanks for a large part, then maybe. Very maybe.

I don't think Nintendo will put non-portable versions out there if the core concept sells well. Such a version would undermine selling the concept in a whole.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I highly doubt it. If you want to play the Switch mainly as a console, just leave it docked.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

If they can save on costs and make it cheaper that way.... and sell it at a lower price.
I could see a budget Switch, thats only a home console.

Around the Network

Not the worst idea ever, considering that it's a perfectly possible thing to do with the system, this is far better than years of people suggesting that Nintendo sell a Wii-U without a tablet considering the switch permadocked would actually be a fully functional system.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I think Nintendo will release a variety of Switch hardware.

Nintendo Switch Lite-a 5", portable only variant

Nintendo Switch XL-an 8", 1080p screen variant

Nintendo Switch TV-a console only variant

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
I think Nintendo will release a variety of Switch hardware.

Nintendo Switch XL-an 8", 1080p screen variant

Nintendo Switch TV-a console only variant

I think the difference in resolution is not just down to the screen though, see not only would you require the extra battery power to power the far larger and higher resolution screen but also then you have the fact that you would need to dial up the processing power of the device to where it would be at full docked mode power while in a portable mode I think the impact on battery life to have your 8" version would just be far too steep.

Also would that not be rather unwieldy? 8" with controls at the side, it would be lovely to look at, but definitely loses a lot of it's portability at that size when you factor in the added controls.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

zorg1000 said:

I don't see a point in a portable only version, the home console only version would be cheaper because no screen, but there really isn't any reason to create a model that can't integrate with a dock.

Sell one without a dock bundled sure, but it should still be compatible with a dock, there's really no reason to remove it's dockability!

Half way through the Switch's life I think Nintendo will release a home only mini console similar to a Ouya but with a cartridge slot. I will come with the Joy-Con controller though because of all the custom Joy-Cons that will come packaged with games. You will still be "switching" your Joy-Cons so the name still holds merit.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969