By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV's gameplay feels more like FFXII than Kingdom hearts

Tagged games:

playing the game on a launch ps4, the drops in frames have been really anoying, the graphics seem good, the story so far wel, its just a bunch of guys tracking the country having fun, so thats good, it reminds me a lot of FF12 indeed, but less strategy, more rolling around like an idiot.

Anyway need to play more to really form a good opinion, im sure the story will pick up and it does look very final fantasy like in the characters and the artstyle, so thats all good.

Cant wait to get my first summons and stuff

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network
vivster said:

I say it's a lot closer to Dark Souls than any FF game. It also sucks that you have no control over your mates, which is a worse situation than in FFXII or FFXIII. But I guess people will just gloss over it even though it was one major gripe in FFXIII.

That is not true though. "Party commands" is a big deal. You give your party members direct commands that you unlock and upgrade. As I said, some commands like regrouping or attacking one enemy at once are very important and could save you. That and I'm still at chapter 2.

bunchanumbers said:
actually it sounds more to me like Dragon Age Inquisition without the tactical aspect.

Hmm... no. Not at all. In DA you have several attacks you can learn and use that need manual activation with various effects. I haven't seen anything of the sort on this game. Theres no hud for it so i don't expect it to. 

I haven't played The witcher 3 yet, but i would say the witcher 2 is probably similar. Instead of traps you got grenades and the rest is an auto attack and dodge fest. There was only one tree with one skill you activate on W2, so we must ignore that.

Kyuu said:
Nem said:

It is a very weak system, i already knew that. I'm going in because of the story, not the combat system.

Here is how i understand combat goes if you dont just auto-attack everything:

Move around and back attack mosters > teleport away if you need to regen health > teleport back in and resume. Do dodges as possible and throw a grenade or link attack if you feel like it or to avoid big hits with invincibility.

Thats it. I expect it to get very boring very fast. Hope i'm wrong though. I guess one can change weapons for flavor.

Square's "easy-gameplay" philosophy is disgusting to say the least. Thankfully, I'm not considering buying this game, because apart from the fairly impressive world and animations, everything feels rather messed up, simple and uninspired. I don't even see this suprassing Type-0 in overall enjoyment.

What I'm worried about though is NieR Automata, that game has a ridiculous potential but it could all be wasted due to the easy difficulty approach Square is going for.

Of course I would love to be proven wrong when both games are out.. I'm just keeping my expectations as low as I can.

I'm not worried at all about Nier. It's not in-house developed by square. Its platinum developed and i have full confidence on them beeing able to make very fun action combat.

Ka-pi96 said:

So instead of being compared with a game I`ve never played it`s now being compared with what I consider to be the worst battle system to ever appear in FF (yes, even worse than 13), just great.

FF12 has one of the most awesome battle systems ever! 

Around the Network
VXIII said:

It feels nothing like XII to me. And thank god for that. XII is the least favorite FF and XV is shaping up to be my favorite.

The directional input is a key part of the combat, unlocking the airsteps through the Ascension adds ton of dynamism, mixing both aerial and ground combat is a joy. Absolutely nothing like XII static system.

Also, the party command upgrades unlocks some strategics commands like regrouping and healing. Such commands are done in real time as well.

You will be also unlocking weapons that mix stuff up like warping / attacking but at a cost, also diffirent kinds of ranged weapons and so on.  Way too early for you :)

I really enjoyed that when I unlocked the first.

I still feel it's a natural evolution of XII, with gambits being replaced by an awesome AI. Simple movement evolved into complex, fluid commands giving it a KH:DDD feel and micro level strategy being moved from menus to controls. Of course it feels very different, and for the best as FFXII gameplay wasn't exactly enjoyable to me (I still love the game for its awesome geopolitics and great plot twists).

Wouldn't it be more like Crisis Core?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Derp

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Hopefully you aren't lying OP. I just got the game in the mail a few minutes ago. So excited.

Nem said:
bunchanumbers said:
actually it sounds more to me like Dragon Age Inquisition without the tactical aspect.

Hmm... no. Not at all. In DA you have several attacks you can learn and use that need manual activation with various effects. I haven't seen anything of the sort on this game. Theres no hud for it so i don't expect it to. 

There is one: pressing L1 brings up the party link menu. You also have to switch weapons on the fly to adjust to what enemies you are fighting against. And if you only hold the attack or defend button, you will get to the gameover screen sooner rather than later. 

Your mind seems to already be made up about the game. And even if I fully expect you to stick to your bad faith, you should still watch this: