By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: Pokemon Sun/Moon look made for 8 year olds... WTF

pound

growl

water sports gun

.... sounds like it should've been Rated M

Around the Network

So by helping people become better competitively they're making it kiddy?

No offense but not everyone is a nerd like me and is capable of knowing about STAB, what moves are strong or weak, and other shit about the meta.

Do people just find anything to complain about? Most of the people I've talked to with early copies say the game is a bit more difficult than the previous generation and forces you to train again like the previous games.

Also, if it's so childish, why does shin megami tensei, one of the hardest role playing games, feature the same thing?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

ps3-sales! said:

Wow 930 am eastern time and already on my second rant of the day lol. 

*Disclaimer* I believe the classic Pokemon games are some of the best and most difficult RPGs of all time. To include yellow, blue, red, gold, silver, crystal, ruby and sapphire. 

"most difficult" is a very generous title. there are tons of RPGs way harder than pokemon, and in the realm of RPGs, pokemon is lacking. its a great series on its own, not as an RPG though.

So I've been disinterested in Pokemon for a long while. Probably Diamond/Pearl were the last decent Pokemon games for me. And no I don't count anything other than the handheld classic RPG poke games. All other game styles are garbage poke rip offs. 

so you dropped out right before Gen V, which is regarded as the best one so far. and you disregarded all the spinoffs which are praised for their unique mechanics and often amazing story telling. im starting to think this is a joke thread.

Anyway. So I was kind of interested in sun and Moon leading up. Until now. What the fuck has this franchise become. No gyms is actually a decent change. I don't love or hate it. I'm cool with innovation as long as it's good. 

okay, but what didnt you like? that was a very bare-bones remark.

Now for the bad. Two main things really. 

More mandatory non-battle activities. And for the battle system.... IT TELLS YOU WHAT MOVES ARE EFFECTIVE. The latter of these two things is absolutely a game killer for me. Half of the fun and difficulty of the classic Pokemon games is not memorizing all 100% move effectiveness and trying it out mid battle for success or failure. You get better that way! 

it was intended to help new fans of the series, but okay.

They have been baby-ing this franchise for years but this was the final nail in the coffin. Nintendo has successfully alienated all of their original Pokemon fans that have stuck with them since the beginning. 

not really. i have loved all new generations, regardless of their pros and cons. and a large amount of pokemon fans have felt this way since the original days. and in case you forgot, the original games are now on VC, both for new and old fans to relive the old days.

If you have stuck with them since like the yellow days, and are okay with this... Then that's just wack. I feel like the majority of the old school fans don't want this baby styled gameplay. 

you do realize that your in-game character is 10 years old right? and these games are meant to appeal to everyone right? and that game series have to evolve in order to stay relevant right?

Something like the battle system should AT LEAST have an option to turn off. And it's 2016 where is the difficulty option!!

they experimented with difficulty before, but seeing as pokemon's trainer AI's are hard to mess with all they could really do is up the levels of enemy pokemon a bit. also plenty of games still have a singular experience without difficulty settings.

I can literally best these Pokemon games without ever dying. Not once. Easy. That's not how it should be. 

i played through the original Blue on VC without losing a battle once. it can also depend on the person playing the game, you know.

I get that with new year's and games come younger and newer fans. But it's completely unfair to the original fans that stuck with Nintendo.

i dont have any problems with Sun and Moon.

Honestly quite unacceptable where Pokemon has gone. I'm disappointed as well as sad for this new release. 

youre a member of the silent minority then.

Sun and Moon might still be great 3ds games, but they aren't good Pokemon games. 

If you want my advice. try actually playing the new games. try actually plaing the spin offs. if you only played up to Gen IV and only played the main series games, that makes up for about 10% of everything pokemon has to offer. from what you said in this, it doesnt seem like you are a pokemon fan at all. picture it like this-- many people loved the original seasons of Family Guy, hate all the other shows related to it, and dont watch the new stuff. those people no longer consider themselves fans of the series because it no longer caters to their taste. when you dont like something anymore, you need to move on. the only difference is, people who deciced they dont like family guy anymore are a majority. people who dont like pokemon anymore are a minority. when a large percentage of the fanbase hates the material, then its a problem. when only a small amount do, its only a problem for that small amount of people.

It's true that the game tells you what moves are effective against Pokemon you're facing, but that only occurs after facing each one once.

I'm with you on this; Pokemon games have become so easy throughout the years that I don't enjoy them anymore. I bought X/Y mostly because of nostalgia and the only time I have a few Pokemon die on me was on the Elite 4...not a single time before that; and on the Elite 4 it was like 2 Pokemon.

Is ok to have easy games, but in RPGs easy = bad in my opinion; there's barely any strategy in Pokemon games anymore; the old ones were extremely hard for me as a kid, and playing them as an adult they are still challenging, not hard by any means but some gym battles and the Elite 4 in particular post a real threat.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

"IT TELLS YOU WHAT MOVES ARE EFFECTIVE"

So does Shin Megami Tensei.

There's nothing challenging about remembering weaknesses. It's just more convenient this way.

Also, Pokemon is for kids, so getting mad that it's for kids is silly. It never catered to adults, like ever. Just because you like something as an adult doesn't mean it caters to you. Pokemon was always easy, too. You're being silly.

osed125 said:

I'm with you on this; Pokemon games have become so easy throughout the years that I don't enjoy them anymore. I bought X/Y mostly because of nostalgia and the only time I have a few Pokemon die on me was on the Elite 4...not a single time before that; and on the Elite 4 it was like 2 Pokemon.

Is ok to have easy games, but in RPGs easy = bad in my opinion; there's barely any strategy in Pokemon games anymore; the old ones were extremely hard for me as a kid, and playing them as an adult they are still challenging, not hard by any means but some gym battles and the Elite 4 in particular post a real threat.

I honestly thing Pokemon games were always easy to beat, since gen 1. I never had any problems with them, and I stil can beat them easily. They were always made with children in mind, and trying to be accesible for everyone, and deep for whoever wants to bother about competitive Pokemon, and wants to know about Pokemon lore. That's actually the beauty of this franchise, and part of its sucess is that it attracts a wide ramge of ages, and a wide range of gamers. Can't find any examples of RPGs that manage to do the same, and that's why I think it's the best RPG franchise, by miles. And the more consistent.

makes no difference, i already know which types are strong to others. and all old fans also.

I 100% with you on difficulty. haven't fainted in a pokemon game since GBA sapphire when i was 14

osed125 said:

i think that's the problem.

the old fans on here always say how the old games were difficult for them as kids. Well, the kids from each generation will realize that as they grow up, the games were always meant to be played by people of all ages.

If they wanted pokemon to be hard, they would've made it where a dead pokemon is gone forever or something else along those lines.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.