By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I see no sense in Nintendo Switch, it`s a terrible idea

squibbfire said:
SpokenTruth said:

Wii Switch?   The hell is that?

You should probably stop listening to these tons of people.   They just lied to to you twice in that one statement.  

well they mentioned that it will be just powerful enough to support skyrim...and thats pretty much last gen

First, nobody said that, that quote is a fantasy. Second, skyrim special edition can't run on a last gen console nor portable console, the engine has new stuff that are impossible on the 360 or the ps3. Third, we don't have the special specs or how efficient the specs are.

If you want quotes, a bethesda executive said that they are going to support the switch if the console is capable, that was before when it was the NX. The director of elder scroll and fallout todd howard said that he loves the switch, also said "it's the best demo I have ever tried at e3"

Around the Network
ihh said:
I just hate the hybrid thing so much.
It seems they only did that to sell the "switch" gimmick.
2 skus playing the same games would be much better to my taste. I don´t play on the go. I´d avoid the portable part and wouldn´t have that useless screen 100% of the time sitting on the dock unused.
As is, I´m not buying a Switch anytime soon.

You underestimate the value of playing in portable mode within your home. This is one of those things WiiU owners clamour about with the gamepad. Best feature it has honestly.

onionberry said:
squibbfire said:

well they mentioned that it will be just powerful enough to support skyrim...and thats pretty much last gen

First, nobody said that, that quote is a fantasy. Second, skyrim special edition can't run on a last gen console nor portable console, the engine has new stuff that are impossible on the 360 or the ps3. Third, we don't have the special specs or how efficient the specs are.

If you want quotes, a bethesda executive said that they are going to support the switch if the console is capable, that was before when it was the NX. The director of elder scroll and fallout todd howard said that he loves the switch, also said "it's the best demo I have ever tried at e3"

I don't think he is able to understand that.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

onionberry said:
squibbfire said:

And to support your point, there's already that game Seasons of Heavens running on Unreal Engine 4, which looks very nice indeed especially for a small dev team. Furthermore, you have to take into account that Nvidia is the one behind the hardware

But yeah, it's best to wait until official info comes out on exactly how powerful the Switch actually is.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

I'm just going to repost this here with a few tweaks because the last thread was closed, and I like to make controversial predictions based on nothing:

---

I think that, as a platform, it'll blow up on a similar scale as the Wii and the DS. Combined. I also think it'll debut at $250 if the rumors are to be believed.

If this is the case, then I think that the Switch will be symbolic of a much bigger paradigm shift where Nintendo elevates itself next to Apple and Disney as one of the most powerful companies in the world. This is Nintendo's "The Little Mermaid," and it will symbolize the start of a Nintendo Renaissance (which involves way more than just dedicated gaming).

This cannot be stressed enough, but the mainstream audience are not going to expect PS4/PS4 Pro-level performance from the Switch because of it's form factor. In fact, they'll be supremely impressed because the Switch will undoubtably be the most sophisticated piece of portable technology for years. It's going to look like a technical marvel because of what it'll do in such a small form factor, and that will resonate with a LOT of people. And it IS well powerful enough to get current gen multiplats, which is all that matters because it's value proposition shining depends on them.

All that will matter is if it will play most of the AAA blockbuster games untethered to your TV. If the next GTA, for example, is out on the Switch, it's over, because GTA on the Switch will be a far more valuable proposition than a prettier game that is limited to your TV. Switch symbolized freedom and flexibility of play, and people seriously underestimate how valuable that will end up being. Switch, as a piece of technology, is the most mass market product I've seen since the PS2. It's that kind of device. That's why I keep saying it needs normal apps. This thing can effortlessly replace the tablet, because it can do what most tablets can't and won't try to do, which is serious dedicated gaming. They won't get the support that Nintendo will, which makes Switch instantly more valuable if all else becomes equal. If it gets a robust App Store with Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Google Chrome, Kindle, etc, it will make all of those tablet devices virtually obsolete. Apple will always have the best App Store, but for a luxury device instead of a necessity like with smart phones or computers, the Switch would be obviously more compelling than an iPad because there games library can't, and has never had to, compete with dedicated gaming.

Plus this thing is going to dominate Japan like none before it. I'm talking DS numbers over there at the very least, no doubt. Currently, that's 33m-ish, in Japan alone. I think Switch likely will eclipse that with maybe 40m, because again, it's fulfilling both a portable and a home market, and it will get both types of games. People aren't appreciating that. Consolidating software ecosystem means consolidating both audiences onto one platform. Wii and DS combined did 250m WW. There's obviously going to be a drop from people who typically bought both, but that isn't most consumers. Seeing the entire Switch platform do around 200m WW over the next 10 years wouldn't surprise me at all. Doing less than 150m would.

Of course, this is all IF expensive cart sizes and general storage limitations (the 16/32/128 issue) don't euthanize it, that is. And I think it will, rendering everything I said above moot. Fun to dream, though!

Around the Network

Another one of these threads huh? Well, we all do it sometimes, so here's my two cents.

I don't this this solution is all around the best one we could have gotten, that said I think it's a very nice cheap solution that will make handheld gamers very happy. It's smart from a business perspective.

Me personally, I wish they would have had a seperate home console and hendheld and the same cartridges/account system games could be used in both. But I've come to grips that this just isn't the case.

I am excited to see the handheld games I know and love debut or make a return to the big screen. Having a procontroller and Unreal Engine 4 graphics will be amazing. That said, developers said they could make Unreal Engine 4 work with Wii U, so not sure how much more powerful the console actually is, and by the looks of every video we have seen so far, I wouldn't say it's by much.

That said, I don't think it matters. So we won't have a crazy amount of particles filling every inch of our screens making George Lucas want to cream his pants. It'll be fine, the graphics will be good enough, the resolution should stay HD even if only 720 in some cases, and third party multiplats are going to run like peanut butter in a dogs mouth in handheld mode. There should be enough exclusives to enjoy.

All and all, it's gonna be a fun machine with some great experiences, and that's what a gamer should want.

invetedlotus123 said:
BuckStud said:

With the Wii U we got the use of touch screen in our console games (Scribblenauts was big in my house) and the ablitly to play our console games off TV.  We also got to play many of our local two play games without the use of split screen (which I loved).  The PS4/Box One (which I've owned or still own) gave better graphics and little else.  In the past year, I've played multiple times more on my gaming computer and Wii U than the PS4/Xbox One combined.  There's just nothing much new there.

Like FF XIV, No Man`s Sky, The Witcher III and Final Fantasy XV only were possible because of a strong hardware. Hardware brings graphics, but it also bring AI, Physics, Real Time Weather, Massive Multiplayer, Virtual Reality, Procedural Generation...

Most of those it didn't bring, it improved on sure, but it didn't bring.

spemanig said:
I'm just going to repost this here with a few tweaks because the last thread was closed, and I like to make controversial predictions based on nothing:

---

I think that, as a platform, it'll blow up on a similar scale as the Wii and the DS. Combined. I also think it'll debut at $250 if the rumors are to be believed.

If this is the case, then I think that the Switch will be symbolic of a much bigger paradigm shift where Nintendo elevates itself next to Apple and Disney as one of the most powerful companies in the world. This is Nintendo's "The Little Mermaid," and it will symbolize the start of a Nintendo Renaissance (which involves way more than just dedicated gaming).

This cannot be stressed enough, but the mainstream audience are not going to expect PS4/PS4 Pro-level performance from the Switch because of it's form factor. In fact, they'll be supremely impressed because the Switch will undoubtably be the most sophisticated piece of portable technology for years. It's going to look like a technical marvel because of what it'll do in such a small form factor, and that will resonate with a LOT of people. And it IS well powerful enough to get current gen multiplats, which is all that matters because it's value proposition shining depends on them.

All that will matter is if it will play most of the AAA blockbuster games untethered to your TV. If the next GTA, for example, is out on the Switch, it's over, because GTA on the Switch will be a far more valuable proposition than a prettier game that is limited to your TV. Switch symbolized freedom and flexibility of play, and people seriously underestimate how valuable that will end up being. Switch, as a piece of technology, is the most mass market product I've seen since the PS2. It's that kind of device. That's why I keep saying it needs normal apps. This thing can effortlessly replace the tablet, because it can do what most tablets can't and won't try to do, which is serious dedicated gaming. They won't get the support that Nintendo will, which makes Switch instantly more valuable if all else becomes equal. If it gets a robust App Store with Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Google Chrome, Kindle, etc, it will make all of those tablet devices virtually obsolete. Apple will always have the best App Store, but for a luxury device instead of a necessity like with smart phones or computers, the Switch would be obviously more compelling than an iPad because there games library can't, and has never had to, compete with dedicated gaming.

Plus this thing is going to dominate Japan like none before it. I'm talking DS numbers over there at the very least, no doubt. Currently, that's 33m-ish, in Japan alone. I think Switch likely will eclipse that with maybe 40m, because again, it's fulfilling both a portable and a home market, and it will get both types of games. People aren't appreciating that. Consolidating software ecosystem means consolidating both audiences onto one platform. Wii and DS combined did 250m WW. There's obviously going to be a drop from people who typically bought both, but that isn't most consumers. Seeing the entire Switch platform do around 200m WW over the next 10 years wouldn't surprise me at all. Doing less than 150m would.

Of course, this is all IF expensive cart sizes and general storage limitations (the 16/32/128 issue) don't euthanize it, that is. And I think it will, rendering everything I said above moot. Fun to dream, though!

The only thing I will disagree with you on is that DS and Wii owners were mostly seperate consumers. 

bigtakilla said:
spemanig said:

---

The only thing I will disagree with you on is that DS and Wii owners were mostly seperate consumers. 

There was not a lot of overlap in people interested in casual motion gaming vs people interested in casual touch gaming. Those were the biggest audiences for both. AKA Wii Sports gamers vs Brain Age gamers. I don't think that most people with a Wii had a DS, especially since there was no advertising overlap. If you didn't know they were both Nintendo, there wasn't a lot of visual evidence supporting that. Their branding didn't converge at all.

I agree with this big time. 

It could change but this is something that i think people don't understand.