By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Opinions on ps pro so far?

I've messed around with the settings on ffxv judgement demo, you can definitely tell there is a framerate increase specially if you are turning the camera it is much smoother on the pro.

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:
SvennoJ said:

I checked the difference between unlocked and locked 30fps on tlou at 1080p on the pro, no difference. The game looks pretty much the same as on the ps4.

The whole of The Last of Us Remastered, meanwhile, can be played at 30 FPS in 2160p or a smoother 60 FPS in 1800p. Players of either game without a 4K TV also benefit from the higher resolution rendering, just downscaled to 1080p.

I can't spot the difference. It runs a bit smoother on pro, that's it.

Yeah it looks like unless the game is sub 1080p, the Pro offers small gains, if noticable. Looks like the console is worth it if you have the 4K TV.

Check this out (watch atleast in 1440p):

That has not been my experience at all. The Last of Us isn't a particularly great example, as that is one of the least significant upgrades, but Titanfall 2, Shadow of Mordor, Uncharted, Infinite Warfare + Modern Warfare Remastered, Battlefield 1, Bound, Firewatch and Ratchet all have much better image quality, in my experience. Granted, not everyone is as sensitive to aliasing and sharpness, but there is a definite boost in most patched titles. 

It seems they haven't figured the pseudo-4K stuff out, 1440p, 1800p, checkerboard...? Will be interesting to see how they will settle eventually.

Ariakon said:
Solid-Stark said:

Yeah it looks like unless the game is sub 1080p, the Pro offers small gains, if noticable. Looks like the console is worth it if you have the 4K TV.

Check this out (watch atleast in 1440p):

That has not been my experience at all. The Last of Us isn't a particularly great example, as that is one of the least significant upgrades, but Titanfall 2, Shadow of Mordor, Uncharted, Infinite Warfare + Modern Warfare Remastered, Battlefield 1, Bound, Firewatch and Ratchet all have much better image quality, in my experience. Granted, not everyone is as sensitive to aliasing and sharpness, but there is a definite boost in most patched titles. 

I can't see much of a difference in the screenshots I made of Ratchet. The gains come more from temporal stability. The image looks more stable as the anti aliasing works better accross multiple frames, less flicker from fences appearing for example. You can't really capture that in screenshots or compressed video. Yet although my screenshots of The last of Us are pretty much identical, there is a noticeable although slight boost while playing it.

The gains for PSVR are much bigger though. See my post of page 9. Even in the lossy compressed 720p social screen screenshots you can already see a clear difference. Plus I think the upscaling/warping method is better on the pro since even titles without a pro patch look cleaner already. I guess most early psvr titles run at lower resolutions than what the glasses are capable of.

For 1080p the gains are so small I would rather have other improvements, 60fps or higher lod with improved shadows etc. Perfectly anti aliased stair stepped shadows are still ugly.

KBG29 said:
d21lewis said:
If that splitter works, I'll buy one today. Keep us posted

No luck with the splitter. The screen keeps flashing on and off. I was able to get it to stablize, but with both plugged in it locks it to the limits of HDMI 1.4. I hooked up just the Z9D, and it worked fine, but then when I unpluged it, and plugged in the PSVR, the sceen went back to flickering, and I couldn't get it to stop. I am using brand new HDMI 2.0 cables for every connection, so I don't know if the switch is defective, or what, but I gave up for now. After swapping cables for about an hour today, I am actually getting really good at doing it,so I may just live with it and hope a PS4 with PSVR built in comes out in the next year or two. Or maybe Sony will licences an official splitter/switch to patch their fumble.

You probably need a hdmi source duplicator, if that exists. Perhaps amps with dual hdmi will work, if each hdmi port can run with independent settings since one has to render in 1.4 and the other in 2.0a. Yet that will introduce lag to psvr depending on the amp.

Perhaps you can use the splitter if you turn the psvr unit off when you want to use 4K HDR. Kinda pointless I know, you'll still need to uplug the power cable to the processing unit.

Btw, do you still have your old ps4? Can you confirm that HDR actually works on the base ps4 and in what mode? The options are ofcourse simply grayed out on my system, but I'm curious how it is supposed to work. Does a 4K HDR tv accept 1080p HDR, or does the base ps4 somehow output a 1.4 2160p HDR signal? And how does it compare to HDR on the pro?

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Ariakon said:

I can't see much of a difference in the screenshots I made of Ratchet. The gains come more from temporal stability. The image looks more stable as the anti aliasing works better accross multiple frames, less flicker from fences appearing for example. You can't really capture that in screenshots or compressed video. Yet although my screenshots of The last of Us are pretty much identical, there is a noticeable although slight boost while playing it.

The gains for PSVR are much bigger though. See my post of page 9. Even in the lossy compressed 720p social screen screenshots you can already see a clear difference. Plus I think the upscaling/warping method is better on the pro since even titles without a pro patch look cleaner already. I guess most early psvr titles run at lower resolutions than what the glasses are capable of.

For 1080p the gains are so small I would rather have other improvements, 60fps or higher lod with improved shadows etc. Perfectly anti aliased stair stepped shadows are still ugly.

I've seen bigger improvements to Ratchet, I have to admit. The image quality has seen a definite increase on my TV even over the latest patch on OG ps4. Of course, it's just a case of an already gorgeous game becoming even more gorgeous :) Granted, there is certainly more of an "increase" in games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider or the Infamous games, as the high frame rates make a huge difference. Games that used to run in sub-1080p, such as Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1, look much, much cleaner as well on the Pro. I certainly don't mean to deny your opinion, I just hope to express my own, and so far I am quite pleased with the gains on my 1080p TV and digital projector. 

Also, did you set your screenshots to 1080p instead of 4k? You most likely did, but I found that the 4k shots were rather blurry in comparison. 

EDIT: I'll try to post a few images here, though I don't have comparison pics at the moment. Plus, my laptop only does 720p, so I can't tell if they're uncompressed or not (pasted them on imgur). 

Double EDIT: Hmm, they don't look as good on the forum as they do even on my 720p laptop. I must be doing something wrong. Kind of frustrating, a lot of people on neogaf are posting much better shots. 

Finished downloading everything to both PS4s. I finally decided I'm just going to keep my PSVR connected. I only tried HDR on The Last of Us. The game already looked great in 4K so I'm just going to accept that.... for now.

Noticed a slight improvement in a couple of VR titles. Nothing life changing. I'll have to test it out more. I like the Pro and don't regret the purchase but I think most gamers will be totally fine with the Vanilla PS4 experience. I'll be jumping between both 1080p regular PlayStation and 4K Pro and it should be painless.

PlayStation's handling of cloud storage is a generation behind Xbox, btw. It's perfectly acceptable if you only have one console but, as an owner of two of each? Nope. Xbox--walk out of one room and into another. Boot up the game. The saves will sync for a couple of seconds. You continue where you left off.

On PlayStation, you have to go out of your way to save your game to the cloud (though it's done automatically, once a day, I think...). Then, if you go to another console, you have to go back to the menu and download the save to the second PS4. Then, begin your game. Much more complicated and cumbersome.

I'm curious as to why current ps4 users would feel that the investment into a pro would be so worthwhile. If one doesn't have a ps4 and is in the market for that machine, then of course it would make sense to get the pro model. But for those that paid msrp on the original, are now paying basically new box $ that is a half gen step up, and will undoubtedly pay full msrp on the next gen ps when it releases in the not so distant future....what is the allure? I guess if ya got the cash a plenty, why not?...but seems like quite the investment for a half step. So, for those people, I'd like to hear your thoughts once you've had a chance to play the machine for a bit and get a feel for if the upgrade was worth the expense. Perhaps it will be some real quality time with the games before the answer becomes clear? Looking fwd to your critique D21! Edit - you beat me by 12 min D21. I started the post and had to walk away for customers and to close up shop and came back to your answer. =p

Kwaidd said:
I'm curious as to why current ps4 users would feel that the investment into a pro would be so worthwhile. If one doesn't have a ps4 and is in the market for that machine, then of course it would make sense to get the pro model. But for those that paid msrp on the original, are now paying basically new box $ that is a half gen step up, and will undoubtedly pay full msrp on the next gen ps when it releases in the not so distant future....what is the allure? I guess if ya got the cash a plenty, why not?...but seems like quite the investment for a half step. So, for those people, I'd like to hear your thoughts once you've had a chance to play the machine for a bit and get a feel for if the upgrade was worth the expense. Perhaps it will be some real quality time with the games before the answer becomes clear? Looking fwd to your critique D21! Edit - you beat me by 12 min D21. I started the post and had to walk away for customers and to close up shop and came back to your answer. =p

I feel the upgrade was worth it. It's been 3 years since I bought my original ps4 and I plan on using the pro for at least another 3 years. Now, if the iterations start coming every one or two years, then no, I won't buy into every upgrade, but the option to play games at their best for the next 3+ years was a worthwhile investment on my end, especially since I can now gift my other ps4 to my brother. 

I like the PSQuad Pro a lot, especially the new controller, the battery life is so much longer, and the machine itself is quieter. Waiting on FFXV to experience what that's like on the Pro, but so far I'm very pleased with the Pro.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5