By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4pro HDD vs SSD test up: DF tests & NXGamer. Final 5-40% perf improvement

So there is no additional gain from SATA 3 to 2?

Around the Network

I'm going to do some tests of my own this weekend--using remote play via PC.

walsufnir said:

There are enough limiting factors in a console to not make a bit more bandwidth count.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
walsufnir said:

There are enough limiting factors in a console to not make a bit more bandwidth count.

Of course. I only just watched the video and yes, like I said from the very beginning in the other thread, you see improvements because an SSD is an SSD but the interface in this case is a non-factor.

walsufnir said:
vivster said:

Of course. I only just watched the video and yes, like I said from the very beginning in the other thread, you see improvements because an SSD is an SSD but the interface in this case is a non-factor.

I said that too but people didn't believe in the one true prophet. Putting SATA3 in a current console is like putting GDDR5X in the Switch.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
walsufnir said:

I said that too but people didn't believe in the one true prophet. Putting SATA3 in a current console is like putting GDDR5X in the Switch.

A switch is fast because of its ASIC - the management plane could sometimes use some more power but yeah, I get what you are saying.

Thanks for naming me a prophet, though! At least one guy appreciates my knowledge.

Radek said:

[...]

Why do they still install 5400 RPM HDD's in consoles? 7200 RPM would surely help with loading.

Because heat.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Radek said:

Hmmm. I'd personally either go with stock 1TB 5400 RPM or upgrade to 2TB 7200RPM. The difference isn't huge and big SSD is expensive. Why do they still install 5400 RPM HDD's in consoles? 7200 RPM would surely help with loading.

There aren't 2TB 7200RPM HDDs that fit in the PS4.

The only 1TB 7200RPM HDDs fitting are the "WD Black Mobile 1TB" and the "HGST TravelStar 7K1000 1TB"

The fastest 2TB HDD fitting into the PS4 is the "Seagate Firecuda Compute 2TB" ... only 5400 RPM but it is a Hybrid with 8GB SSD Cache... that should help loading times within games, f.e. reloading a level, multiplayer maps...

SSHD is the way to go.

5400rpm drives have higher data density, so they can be smaller for the same capacity. 7200rpm drives basically only have faster access times, so random read is better, as the required sector to jump to will pass again faster.
In a console, when loading game assets 5400 to 7200 shouldn't make much of a difference, if any.