By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My PS4 Pro Arrived 3 DAYS EARLY! Impressions is up!

Enjoy. The absence of a FF15 bundle blows my mind considering the improvements the pro has on the game.

Around the Network

Wow congrats, If I were you I would exploit your time advantage and begin streaming/making YT videos showing off the differences and giving people a general consumer idea on your overall impression.

Captain_Yuri said:

Congratz on your purchase!

Now, I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if that was already adressed.

But what screen are you playing on?

I purchased a XBR43X800D just in time for the PS4 Pro. It's not the best screen out there, except on the 43 size bracket. The LG OLEDs and the Samsung KS8000 for example, are better performers, but they also cost quite a bit more. And since I bought it cash, I thought 1000 CAD was enough, with the Pro and FF XV UCE coming this month, that's around 2000K in purchases, paid cash, in less than 2 months. Plus, I didn't want to have a screen too big, since it's replacing a good 32" that served as both gaming and PC monitor, which means I often sit quite close to it. I must say that so far, it's exceeding my expectations.

In any case, I was simply curious what your choice for a 4K set was, and if you can share your feedback on 4K and HDR (in particular) with your set.

With HDR now available on the regular PS4, I tried TLOU, Uncharted 4, inFamous Second Son and Ratchet and Clank (all recommendations for you, btw. Especially Ratchet and Clank, since you're coming from Nintendo's side of gaming ^_-), and the games look much more natural and deeper contrast-wise. Although some might dislike the less saturated/more natural colours. 

Congrats. You always talk about flapping so i think you will like dead or alive xtreme 3. Serious though, you should get ratchet and clank.

Hynad said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if that was already adressed.

I purchased a XBR43X800D just in time for the PS4 Pro. It's not the best screen out there, except on the 43 size bracket. The LG OLEDs and the Samsung KS8000 for example, are better performers, but they also cost quite a bit more. And since I bought it cash, I thought 1000 CAD was enough, with the Pro and FF XV UCE coming this month, that's around 2000K in purchases, paid cash, in 2 months. xD

In any case, I was simply curious what your choice for a 4K set was, and if you can share your feedback on 4K and HDR (in particular) with your set.

With HDR now available on the regular PS4, I tried TLOU, Uncharted 4, inFamous Second Son and Ratchet and Clank (all recommendations for you, btw), and the games look much more natural and deeper, contrast-wise. Although some might dislike the less saturated/more natural colours. 

It is a Samsung KU6290. I was thinking about the KS8000 but I was like neh, HDR is all over the place so its better to get something cheaper for now and then later on get something great when HDR gets all sorted out.

I havn't really bought any games that are HDR ready so I am not sure yet. But I will once the black friday deals start coming out.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Get until dawn. Its on sale now for 9.99 on the psn store!

Captain_Yuri said:

It is a Samsung KU6290. I was thinking about the KS8000 but I was like neh, HDR is all over the place so its better to get something cheaper for now and then later on get something great when HDR gets all sorted out.

I havn't really bought any games that are HDR ready so I am not sure yet. But I will once the black friday deals start coming out.

That's still a nice set. It does have HDR, so you won't feel left out. 

I also didn't want to invest too much on this tech right now, since the standards are still in flux, but I also didn't want to feel left out when people start raving about how games and movies look with HDR. I did some research online and I settled on the XBR X800D. Based on my needs, (money vs features) it was a perfect fit. 

The KU6290 seems to be close to the performance of the XBR X800D, so if your expectations are similar to mine, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. 

In any case, my recommendations would be:

- The Last of Us Remastered
- Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection
- Uncharted 4 (do the first 3 games before ^_-)
- Bloodborne
- Driveclub
- inFamous Second Son
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Ratchet & Clank (phenomenal game)
- Batman Arkham Knight (although the batmobile parts can break the pace at times, it's still an awesome game)
- Dragon Quest Builder (it's really not like minecraft, despite the similarities)
- Journey
- Resogun (if you like arcade sh'mups, it's pretty addictive and a good challenge)

But it would help to know the game types you usually play.

Hynad said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Now, I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if that was already adressed.

I purchased a XBR43X800D just in time for the PS4 Pro. It's not the best screen out there, except on the 43 size bracket. The LG OLEDs and the Samsung KS8000 for example, are better performers, but they also cost quite a bit more. And since I bought it cash, I thought 1000 CAD was enough, with the Pro and FF XV UCE coming this month, that's around 2000K in purchases, paid cash, in less than 2 months. Plus, I didn't want to have a screen too big, since it's replacing a good 32" that served as both gaming and PC monitor, which means I often sit quite close to it. I must say that so far, it's exceeding my expectations.

With HDR now available on the regular PS4, I tried TLOU, Uncharted 4, inFamous Second Son and Ratchet and Clank (all recommendations for you, btw. Especially Ratchet and Clank, since you're coming from Nintendo's side of gaming ^_-), and the games look much more natural and deeper contrast-wise. Although some might dislike the less saturated/more natural colours. 

We have the same TV except I got the 49 inch version! Bought it solely for the PS4 Pro. Remote sucks but the TV is fantastic;!!!

Test the upscaling and hdr for us. How does it look

d21lewis said:
Hynad said:

We have the same TV except I got the 49 inch version! Bought it solely for the PS4 Pro. Remote sucks but the TV is fantastic;!!!

I actually like the remote. xD And its voice command/search function is surprisingly good.

I hesitated between the 43 and 49 sizes. But settled for the 43, since it has a VA panel, while the 49 is IPS. VA panels have better blacks and contrast ratio but weaker viewing angles (colours starts to desaturate and contrast weakens at an angle above 25ish degree), while the IPS retains their picture quality at wider angles, but they do so at the expense of deeper blacks and contrast. Since I hardly ever watch my screen from an angle (I do that only when cooking food =P), then the 43 with its better picture quality was the way to go.