By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Switch doesn't get its own MK/Smash?

Tagged games:

How would feel if the teams moved onto other titles after the ports

Switch Cancelled. 19 24.68%

Meh, I'd have to see wor... 15 19.48%

I wouldn't mind. 37 48.05%

I don't even like Mario Kart/Smash Bros 6 7.79%

Total:77

How would you feel?

I don't feel like these games need frequent sequels. I'm completely bias because I don't have a Wii U so even a vanilla port would essentially act as fresh game experience for me, but I'm personally thinking back to the the 7 year gap between Smash Bros Melee and Brawl. Melee kept me very entertained for most of these years (even without DLC) and Brawl came at the perfect time. Both Smash and MK are 2014 titles, I don't think sequels should be a priority. Its not like they've aged poorly. 

They're not campaign focused games so new characters, modes and levels/Cups should refresh the experience in a way that satisfies the majority of people. 

Most importantly it frees up both teams to work on brand new IPs or visit other Nintendo franchises. Hal developed Pokemon Stadium 1/2 & Snap. Maybe they could help a AAA Pokemon RPG release in a timely fashion.

Around the Network

Forgot to put this in Nintendo discussion, if a Mod could move it that'd be great! :)

Unless the MK8 Directors cut has significant features then I would potentially skip the Switch.

Of course it depends on the other games it offers, Mario Kart is a huge one for me, it's the only reason I have a WiiU. Though that doesn't mean Nintendo couldn't give me a reason to own a Console that didn't have Mario Kart.

For me to be happy with MK8 Directors Cut being the only Mario Kart on the Switch it would have to have at least 16 new tracks.

I want a Mario Kart build from the ground up squishing everything out of the NX. Not Mario Kart 8 running at a higher resolution with two new cups.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

RolStoppable said:
If there were no sequels to these games, then that would surely mean DLC updates every 6-9 months to compensate for the lack of sequels. If Mario Kart 8 got an update to its core gameplay with its re-release on Switch (more levels for the miniboost, say five instead of two), then I'd be fine with that.

Yes and Nintendo could easily outsource this to a third party.

Around the Network

I don't own a WiiU. MK8 and Smash4 (console version) are new games to me. Plus, those two games have reached a size that they could easily just support them for another 5-6 years before a new installment and people would probably be happy about it. Just add a decent battle mode for MK8.2 and a couple more fighters for Smash, and people will be happy.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Anyone not owning a Wii U (that's a pretty big group of people) wouldn't care that these games also exist on Wii U.

A lot of Wii U owners would be okay with it. They either sell their old versions or "double dip"... like they have done time and time again for other remade/remastered/ported/newplaycontrolled Nintendo games.

Some Wii U owners won't double dip these games, but will probably find other games worth switching from Wii U to Switch.

A few Wii U owners will be unhappy for many years, no matter what Nintendo does or does not.

spurgeonryan said:
I do not see why they would not. I say they out out a Wii U remastered edition just to fill in any gaps.

First year needs to see 5-6 big Nintendo games that are not remasters. Then we do not need 30 3rd party games the first month. We need maybe 5 a month to spread it out.

Because they believe the additional content will satisify fans of the franchises (for now) and alongside other original Switch/Nintendo games & Switches Portability, core Nintendo fans will easily be converted into Switch owners and this in turn will free up resources for Smash/Kart teams to work on other projects.

Also...Hal Labratories never moves from one Smash Bros to another, they normally do an alternative project(s) in between (Kirby/Kid icarus) and Smash typically takes 3years to develop. Since the last Smash Bros game came out relatively recently (2 years) they still haven't release their alternative project game, going along their usual trajectory we shouldn't see a new Smash Bros til 2020 at the earliest (2021 is more likely imo). Since the Switch already will have a Smash Bros on it, Nintendo may just move it to the Switch 2 or make it cross gen with Switch 2.

As a hypothetical situation where Hal could possibly be working on a new big Pokemon RPG with gamefreak since 2015. Nintendo required help to jump to the HD era for Smash (assisted by Namco) and Pokemon will be an even bigger task. Hals assistance could make a 2017/18 release date possible whereas otherwise Pokemon Switch may have be a 2019/2020 title. Alternatively Hal Labratories go for a whole new IP and try to replicate the success of Splatoon/create another phenomenom

Lots of potential reasons :)

3ds users who only played mk7 would love it. Like how you can play mk8 graphics on the go.

For me...... I would like to get a sequel. BUT! Im not a huge fan on the mk series, sooooo I would rather for Nintendo to make new ips or focus on other franchises than make another mario kart.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Conina said:

Anyone not owning a Wii U (that's a pretty big group of people) wouldn't care that these games also exist on Wii U.

A lot of Wii U owners would be okay with it. They either sell their old versions or "double dip"... like they have done time and time again for other remade/remastered/ported/newplaycontrolled Nintendo games.

Some Wii U owners won't double dip these games, but will probably find other games worth switching from Wii U to Switch.

A few Wii U owners will be unhappy for many years, no matter what Nintendo does or does not.

Kind of my feeling.