By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Marvel Movie Boss Responds to Diversity Criticism

Marvel Movie Boss Responds to Diversity Criticism

Marvel Studios has come under fire for its lack of diversity in its films' casts, most notably for this year's Doctor StrangeIn an interview with Vulture, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige responded to the diversity criticisms, stating that diverse casts are important to the company.

"I think that in the movies we've already made, and certainly in the movies that are coming up, it will be as inclusive a group of characters as one could want," Feige explained. "For us, it's important that we don't feel like a completely white, European cast.

The Ancient One in Doctor Strange

Vulture points out that while a role like Doctor Strange's Ancient One has gone to a white actor--which Feige and director Scott Derrickson said they did to avoid a stereotype--Marvel has cast several actors of color in prominent roles. Chiwetel Eijofor (12 Years a Slave) plays the traditionally white Mordo in Doctor Strange, while Zoe Saldana (Star Trek Beyond) appears in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2Zendaya (K.C. Undercover) co-stars in Spider-Man: Homecoming, Tessa Thompson (Creed) features in Thor: Ragnarok, and Lupita Nyong'o (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) appears in Black Panther. Feige added that next year's Spider-Man: Homecoming is a big step forward for the studio in regards to a bigger push for diversity.

"[Homecoming director Jon Watts] came in and had pictures of real high schools, and they are as diverse as you could imagine," he said. "That was something that was important to us, to set it apart from other Spidey films that have been made--to carve that niche--and to have it represent the world today."

Spider-Man: Homecoming opens in theaters on July 7, 2017. In addition to Zendaya, it stars Tom Holland (Captain America: Civil War), Donald Glover (Atlanta), Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler), Michael Keaton (Spotlight), Tony Revolori (The Grand Budapest Hotel), and Bokeem Woodbine (Fargo).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/marvel-movie-boss-responds-to-diversity-criticism/1100-6445047/

Around the Network

Make a SJW movie with all the boring stuff this people want. Just make sure it is low budget. Remember SJW Ghostbusters...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

I think insinuating that there can't be diversity within a white cast is pretty racist.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

lol. Why is it just race and gender and sexual orientation?

What about physical traits?

"My nose is very big. The lack of big nosed actors and actresses has been very unhealthy for my own personal development"

I think they've nailed the diversity thing. They've bad crappy movies, pedestrian movies, good movies, and a couple great ones. The entire spectrum is represented.

Around the Network
vivster said:
I think insinuating that there can't be diversity within a white cast is pretty racist.

Psh, diversity only matters if you can visually see it. Nobody cares if you're English, Irish, Scottish, German, French, Austrian, Russian, Czech, or anything else. If you're white, you aren't diverse. Welcome to PC culture.

I honestly never got the criticism. The Ancient One is traditionally tibetan so you have to get an actor that fits a stereotype? Either way I get the washwashing criticism but the film has a very diverse cast. Saw it yesterday, its better than I thought I'd be.

The SJW strike again! Enough with this garbage already.

LivingMetal said:

Vulture points out that while a role like Doctor Strange's Ancient One has gone to a white actor--which Feige and director Scott Derrickson said they did to avoid a stereotype--Marvel has cast several actors of color in prominent roles. Chiwetel Eijofor (12 Years a Slave) plays the traditionally white Mordo in Doctor Strange, while Zoe Saldana (Star Trek Beyond) appears in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2Zendaya (K.C. Undercover) co-stars in Spider-Man: Homecoming, Tessa Thompson (Creed) features in Thor: Ragnarok, and Lupita Nyong'o (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) appears in Black Panther. Feige added that next year's Spider-Man: Homecoming is a big step forward for the studio in regards to a bigger push for diversity.

Let me rephrase that:

"Vulture points out that while a role like Doctor Strange's Ancient One has gone to a white actor--which Feige and director Scott Derrickson said they did to avoid a stereotype--Marvel has cast several actors of color in prominent roles....to just black people." lol.  (Seriously google the cast they just mentioned, they're all predominately black..and a half lol)

If anybody notice the pattern, here's Hollywood's rule (and seeing these in comic books lately too) of casting for a role based off things: (ie comic books, anime, novels etc..) 
1) Since the dawn of time, white actors are always allowed to replace any race.
2) If the role is orginally a white person then Black is the only acceptable race that's allow to replace. (Probably thanks to Obama for making it easier)
3) Characters that were originally a male is ok to change to a female.
4) Characters that were orginally straight is ok to change to gay/lesbian.

Hope nobody gets offended by this but that's what I've noticed.

Miguel_Zorro said:
I find it interesting that they're complaining that they switched the race of the ancient one, but not complaining that they switched the gender.

It's a trap.