By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Clarifying the 1.5TFLOPS of the SWITCH for those who just see the numbers.

BlkPaladin said:
vivster said:

This often quoted number relates to the Parker performance for FP16. In layman's terms FP16 stands for "half precision" which means that the GPU will process certain information less reliable. In games, as in contrast to graphic programs, precision is not important in all tasks. That means it's possible to use only half the precision and will still gain a good enough result.

Just a correction you are not entirely correct about this. Percision is not how accuratly the chip does the calculation but how big the instruction is, that is when you are dealing with programming. FP16, floating point 16, are floating point instructions that are only 16-bits big maximum. And FP32 are 32 bit max instructions. For some procedures you only need FP16 and if you optimize correctly you can run two instruction concurently depending on the chip, from how nVidia is advertising this chip it seems to be the case. So in some cases and if you don't need 32-bit instructions you can process instructions faster this way.

This is one of the reasons why you don't want to look at just FLOPS, or anything else as is. I seen a person saying that the Xbox One runs at twice the speed if you do it in FP16 which may not be the case since the chip might not be able to do two FP16 instructions at the same time, though it may allow them.

Well, the length of a floating point number IS its precision. Like 3.14159265359 is more precise than 3.14. It's used like that in physics where precision is important and as such you will use the most precise number possible. You can use smaller numbers but the end product while correct will not be as precise.

Precision is just a fancy word for longer numbers.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Latest things i read were pointing to 1TFLOP/s half precision and Switch being a 'Tegra X1 with Pascal'. Again, half precision for Switch has been mixed with SP performance for Xbone and PS4.

Volterra_90 said:
I don't really know anything about hardware specs tbh. I know about good games, and that's what I really want... Switch will succeed with a good catalogue. Imo it has to be also cheap to suceed, so I really don't mind if the console is underpowered in the end.

I think so too. 750GFLOPS for the Switch is plenty for the kinds of games it will run. It doesn't seem to strive for parity with the bigger twins.

I just can't stand when people claim it's close to their performance.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I feel enlightened. Vivster fills me with determination.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

captain carot said:
Latest things i read were pointing to 1TFLOP/s half precision and Switch being a 'Tegra X1 with Pascal'. Again, half precision for Switch has been mixed with SP performance for Xbone and PS4.

We don't know yet what kind of custom chip the Switch will have so we're just gonna go by the max specs, which are at 750GFLOPS. Of course it could be severely under or overclocked depending on the mode.

Around the Network

Great. People are aleady putting the words Switch and FLOPS into the same sentence.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

walsufnir said:
What's up with these clarification threads lately? Do we need a sticky post for technical things we can refer to?
I would gladly help in providing explanations.

It's an "I have no agenda" war. To make something look better/worse than how it actually looks, but it's usually an exageration from either party.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

When it comes to gaming, Teraflops are nothing more than a buzzword, FP16 or not. Just stop caring about that shit so much. It's getting worse than those MHz wars back in the days when AMD ran circles around Intel despite having less of dem MHz. Or how about the famous bit wars. What matters at the end of the day is what's on the screen. Even the Wii U with its 3.5 Nanoflops did some very impressive graphics after all. And then you have a game like Mafia 3 that looks like horseshit but will friggin' destroy your 10 Terfalop Titan X for no appearent reason.

Seriously, just stop it.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Slarvax said:
walsufnir said:
What's up with these clarification threads lately? Do we need a sticky post for technical things we can refer to?
I would gladly help in providing explanations.

It's an "I have no agenda" war. To make something look better/worse than how it actually looks, but it's usually an exageration from either party.

The thing is that we often have discussions about technical things but hardly there is good information in them. And the same or similar topics arise every now and then...

amp316 said:
Great. People are aleady putting the words Switch and FLOPS into the same sentence.

It's a natural evolution of the Wii U gigaFlops.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile