By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Clarifying the 4GB of RAM of the SWITCH for those who just see the numbers.

understood 53 61.63%

I don't want to understand 32 37.21%

Total:85
sabvre42 said:
onionberry said:

Here we go again with the same shit

I'm serious. You truly act like a brand marketer.

Any time any news perceived as negative towards Nintendo occurs you create a NEW thread in an attempt to draw attention to your specific argument.

If you simply argued  within already existing thread...

I don't understand what your problem or situation is, mister. If I have content to make a new thread with real information or with a good chance of discussions then I will post a new thread. If i'm a nintendo whatever then I'm a nintendo whatever, so what? are you going to add something to the discussion, are you going to refute my info? if you just want to attack or talk about your nonsense opinion towards me then you can send me a private message. 

Around the Network
onionberry said:
sabvre42 said:

I'm serious. You truly act like a brand marketer.

Any time any news perceived as negative towards Nintendo occurs you create a NEW thread in an attempt to draw attention to your specific argument.

If you simply argued  within already existing thread...

I don't understand what your problem or situation is, mister. If I have content to make a new thread with real information or with a good chance of discussions then I will post a new thread. If i'm a nintendo whatever then I'm a nintendo whatever, so what? are you going to add something to the discussion, are you going to refute my info? if you just want to attack or talk about your nonsense opinion towards me then you can send me a private message. 

But it's not new content.  It's the same freaking conversation duplicated to another thread. It's one more thread spamming my feed.

Your post did not merit a new thread.

onionberry said:

Ps4. 4.5 gb of ram

xbox one. 5 gb of ram

switch 3 to 3.5 gb of ram, or guess what? 4gb of ram for games

PS4 can used 5gb of ram for games, PS4 PRO can use 5.5gb of ram for games.

Using the entirety of the ram for games is never going to happen, 3.5gb for switch is more likely.

sabvre42 said:
onionberry said:

But it's not new content.  It's the same freaking conversation duplicated to another thread. It's one more thread spamming my feed.

Your post did not merit a new thread.

We have shitposts everywhere but my post did not merit a new thread, okay, if you don't agree with the thread then report the thread, It's simple buddy. Mods are going to decide if my thread has 0 content, not you with your childish arguments about me being a Nintendo worker. Or you know, just move on, not every thread is for you.

Barkley said:
onionberry said:

Ps4. 4.5 gb of ram

xbox one. 5 gb of ram

switch 3 to 3.5 gb of ram, or guess what? 4gb of ram for games

Using the entirety of the ram for games is never going to happen, 3.5gb for switch is more likely.

the info is very conflictive, some reports say 4, other 4.5 others 5gb. I guess that some updates were made.

Around the Network

Hopefully Switch will be backwards compatible.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

setsunatenshi said:
onionberry said:

Once again, I see reports and I see people jumping on the  ignorance bandwagon.

The PS4 reserves 3.5 of ram for the os, what does it means? the ps4 has 4.5 gb of ram for games, and it's a "powerful" home console. If the switch has a simplistic and not demanding os, they could use less ram for the os, and 3 to 3.5 gb of ram for games. For contex, xbox uses 3gb of 8gb, so in paper the xbox has more ram than the ps4, but guess what? does not matter, not one bit. Ram is not going to be a problem for western developers like some are saying? why? because game engines are scalable and if your game can run with 5 gb of ram, optimization can make a game run with 3 gb of ram.

so let's say the rumor is true.

Ps4. 4.5 gb of ram

xbox one. 5 gb of ram

switch 3 to 3.5 gb of ram, or guess what? 4gb of ram for games if  they could use the wholeee 4 gb of ram if the os doesn't interfiere when playing games, something like the gamecube. But what about other functions? just like the wii u gamepad, a quick launch menu for apps while playing games. Nintendo does stuff like this, even the os of the wii u uses just 1gb of ram and that was made as a home console, not as a hybrid.

it's not just about numbers friends, we have to wait for the details.

not all RAM is created equal. it's also important to know what type of RAM it is... Is it DDR3? DDR4? GDDR5? My phone has 4GB of RAM as well

In any case, 4GB is plenty of RAM for a handheld to render games at 720p, so I'm not seeing the issue here really

I am no expert but even I know RAM is related with loading, world building and doing other tasks for the game. It's not related with resolution. Such threads makes me laugh to see desperate attempts by people.

onionberry said:
Barkley said:

the info is very conflictive, some reports say 4, other 4.5 others 5gb. I guess that some updates were made.

Who's saying 4.5 and 5?

I could imagine it's pretty much about numbers for a developer who already had to shrink the content to fit on 4.5GB of RAM that's already shared between RAM and VRAM and now he has to go and make it 30% smaller again.

No one is arguing that it isn't enough to run games on it. People are just concerned about what this means for 3rd party ports and if 3rd party developers are even going to bother.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Maybe they are going with a 32-bit cpu and are limited to 4GB ram >:)

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)