By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Pro: The Worlds Most Powerful Console

GribbleGrunger said:
Rafie said:

I definitely see that happening. They won't be able to make that claim with the "most powerful" console in existence any longer. It will certainly be about the games then. I'm excited for the Scorpio and the Pro. I think it's gonna be like how vanilla PS4 and Xbox 1 is to each other, concerning the power thing...when Scorpio and Pro drops.

What people are overlooking because of this whole 'power' narrative is the exclusive games coming in Q1/Q2 2017. It would be easy to change the narrative to 'it's all about the games' when you have games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Nier, Nioh, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, Dreams, What remains of Edith Finch, Detroit: Become Human, Gravity Rush 2 and GT5 hitting early on in the year. There are many others too but not a shoe in for 2017.

Damn that's a lot of heat coming next year. Hopefully no painful delays to 2018. I hope we get Ni No Kuni 2 next year as well. I agree about Sony forseeing this and is prepared to switch the narrative to games versus power seeing as they will lose on that front come November of next year. Those games though. DAMN!!! Hope Xbox gives us that Crackdown 3 and other noteworthy games outside of CupHead as well.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network

Its a fine add, much better then some i've seen from all gaming companies, who have all messed up at some point xD

This features: gaming, a game and a promotion for a gaming console. I don't really like the 80's part but im sure manu will, but at least its clear what its about and what the system is, which is the most important

Twitter @CyberMalistix

d21lewis said:
I'm on board. Hope they release more details about what exactly it can do. I'm kinda jumping in blind, here. Mostly just hoping it does what I think it should do.

Do you mean what new it can do versus the standard model? If so, here's a run-down:

The primary hardware changes:
GPU: 1.83tf (18 Radeon GCN units at 800MHz) is now 4.2tf (36 "improved" GCN units at 911Mhz).
CPU: 8 cores at 1.6Ghz is now 8 cores at 2.1Ghz
Memory: 8GB GDDR5 at 176GB/s is now 8GB GDDR5 at 218GB/s + 1GB DDR3 (the 1GB DDR3 is used for non-gaming tasks to free up some GDDR5 for games)

The primary purpose of the Pro (so where the above upgrades will usually be focused) is offering better image quality. The Pro doesn't have the power to run most AAA titles at a native 4k (because of when it's releasing, and Sony's focus on price), so they're relying on a 'checkerboard' process to make up for the difference between where they're hitting, and a native image. The general idea is you render part of the image (2x1080p, appears to be the minimum), then use various techniques that we'll simply refer to as 'wizardy shit' to essentially predict the missing pixels, creating a final 4k image. The end result (based on DF's reports) offers superior IQ to if you simply stretched out the native render (traditional up-scaling), though it's not a perfect 4k image. How close it gets depends on the size of the native image, and a few variables with the games themselves. If you want more details, i'm happy to explain the 'wizardy shit' :p

If you have a 4k TV/monitor (which you'll need anyway to get the most out of the Pro), you can try watching this in full-screen to get a general idea of the image quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwI6-jKlsO0

It's not a perfect 4k (doubly so because of youtube compression), but it's remarkably close. If i remember correctly, Horizon's checkerboard 4k is built with an 1800p image.

In instances where image quality isn't the focus, you should be able to expect linear graphics improvements (more effects, better render distances, etc). Major frame-rate bumps probably won't be common (so 30fps games becoming 60fps), the GPU can handle it but the CPU will likely be a bottleneck on that front, but in general you should be able to expect better stability. 

Anyway, if you have any questions, fire away! If this wasn't what you were wondering about at all, i guess now you know anyway :p 

Greatness Awaits!!!

Sony hired the marketing guy from the wii u launch.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
d21lewis said:
I'm on board. Hope they release more details about what exactly it can do. I'm kinda jumping in blind, here. Mostly just hoping it does what I think it should do.

Do you mean what new it can do versus the standard model? If so, here's a run-down:

The primary hardware changes:
GPU: 1.83tf (18 Radeon GCN units at 800MHz) is now 4.2tf (36 "improved" GCN units at 911Mhz).
CPU: 8 cores at 1.6Ghz is now 8 cores at 2.1Ghz
Memory: 8GB GDDR5 at 176GB/s is now 8GB GDDR5 at 218GB/s + 1GB DDR3 (the 1GB DDR3 is used for non-gaming tasks to free up some GDDR5 for games)

The primary purpose of the Pro (so where the above upgrades will usually be focused) is offering better image quality. The Pro doesn't have the power to run most AAA titles at a native 4k (because of when it's releasing, and Sony's focus on price), so they're relying on a 'checkerboard' process to make up for the difference between where they're hitting, and a native image. The general idea is you render part of the image (2x1080p, appears to be the minimum), then use various techniques that we'll simply refer to as 'wizardy shit' to essentially predict the missing pixels, creating a final 4k image. The end result (based on DF's reports) offers superior IQ to if you simply stretched out the native render (traditional up-scaling), though it's not a perfect 4k image. How close it gets depends on the size of the native image, and a few variables with the games themselves. If you want more details, i'm happy to explain the 'wizardy shit' :p

If you have a 4k TV/monitor (which you'll need anyway to get the most out of the Pro), you can try watching this in full-screen to get a general idea of the image quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwI6-jKlsO0

It's not a perfect 4k (doubly so because of youtube compression), but it's remarkably close. If i remember correctly, Horizon's checkerboard 4k is built with an 1800p image.

In instances where image quality isn't the focus, you should be able to expect linear graphics improvements (more effects, better render distances, etc). Major frame-rate bumps probably won't be common (so 30fps games becoming 60fps), the GPU can handle it but the CPU will likely be a bottleneck on that front, but in general you should be able to expect better stability. 

Anyway, if you have any questions, fire away! If this wasn't what you were wondering about at all, i guess now you know anyway :p 

Will it greatly improve my PSVR experience? And if so, how? Will streaming video be clearer? Will games be less pixelated? Currently, everything viewed via PSVR looks like it's running in Wii resolution (480p). Still awesome and highly recommended but I want more!

PSVR is actually the main reason I preordered the Pro. I keep seeing "PSVR will run better" but no definite statement on exactly how.

--I'm also planning on preordering a 4k TV in a couple of days. Just can't figure out which one.

shikamaru317 said:

Disclaimer: "For one year" xD

I'm going to try to get a PS4 Pro on Black Friday, assuming I can find one that is. Hopefully Sony has some kind of Black Friday deal on PS4 Pro this year, a free game deal, free 12 months of PS+, a free headset, something. 

Yeah, did they forget Scorpio is eventually coming out? I guess they wouldn't be incorrect...for now. 

Ljink96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Disclaimer: "For one year" xD

I'm going to try to get a PS4 Pro on Black Friday, assuming I can find one that is. Hopefully Sony has some kind of Black Friday deal on PS4 Pro this year, a free game deal, free 12 months of PS+, a free headset, something. 

Yeah, did they forget Scorpio is eventually coming out? I guess they wouldn't be incorrect...for now. 

ps5 is eventually comming out, does that mean MS can't advertise scorpio as the most powerful console next year?

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

d21lewis said:

Will it greatly improve my PSVR experience? And if so, how? Will video be clearer? Will games be less pixelated? Currently, everything viewed via PSVR looks like it's running in Wii resolution (480p). Still awesome but I want more!

PSVR is actually the main reason I preordered. I keep seeing "PSVR will run better" but no definite statement on exactly how.

I believe you're right that they haven't specified details on that front, but we can make some fairly firm assumptions based on the PSVR itself, and the design focus of the Pro. 

PSVR's screen is limited to 1080p (2x960x1080), so anything not currently hitting that target should be able to with the Pro. The upgrades to games already hitting a 1080p target will have to be limited to graphics, and performance when possible. On the graphics end, how dramatic the improvement will be will probably depend on the game. If it's made with the Pro (or PC) as the lead platform, there's room for some fairly significant improvements. In stuff built specifically for the standard PS4, the upgrades will probably be limited to stuff that can be improved just by changing a variable in the base version (render distance, etc).

Zekkyou said:
d21lewis said:

Will it greatly improve my PSVR experience? And if so, how? Will video be clearer? Will games be less pixelated? Currently, everything viewed via PSVR looks like it's running in Wii resolution (480p). Still awesome but I want more!

PSVR is actually the main reason I preordered. I keep seeing "PSVR will run better" but no definite statement on exactly how.

I believe you're right that they haven't specified details on that front, but we can make some fairly firm assumptions based on the PSVR itself, and the design focus of the Pro. 

PSVR's screen is limited to 1080p (2x960x1080), so anything not currently hitting that target should be able to with the Pro. The upgrades to games already hitting a 1080p target will have to be limited to graphics, and performance when possible. On the graphics end, how dramatic the improvement will be will probably depend on the game. If it's made with the Pro (or PC) as the lead platform, there's room for some fairly significant improvements. In stuff built specifically for the standard PS4, the upgrades will probably be limited to stuff that can be improved just by changing a variable in the base version (render distance, etc).

Thanks, man. And whether it boosts PSVR the way I hope it does or not, I'm already excited. Now, if only I could decide which 4K TV I should get....