By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Prediction: Switch will have Pro version that includes dock with extra processing power

spemanig said:
Zkuq said:
I don't think so. It might be technically doable, but I doubt it's a magical solution to the supposed lack of power. It'll also probably be quite expensive. I also don't think Nintendo wants to segment the userbase like that right away. Besides, they've already stated the dock won't contain any extra processing power (I don't remember the exact words, but that's the impression I got). I think that's pretty conclusive and doesn't leave much room for adding extra processing power to the dock.

That's not what they said, though. What they said is this:

"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch."

Which is true and obvious, and this:

"The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

Nothing about power, what the dock won't do, or what the dock will only do. Just the main function, which leaves room for secondary functions, like providing extra power when docked.

Hmm, I suppose that does leave some room for interpretation. Still, I don't think it's going to provide any extra processing power. I imagine they couldn't just bypass it as a 'secondary function' because extra processing power is huge.

Ouroboros24 said:
Zkuq said:
I don't think so. It might be technically doable, but I doubt it's a magical solution to the supposed lack of power. It'll also probably be quite expensive. I also don't think Nintendo wants to segment the userbase like that right away. Besides, they've already stated the dock won't contain any extra processing power (I don't remember the exact words, but that's the impression I got). I think that's pretty conclusive and doesn't leave much room for adding extra processing power to the dock.

The dock in the basic would just be a dock that connects to the TV.  Im talking about a different dock for the pro Switch.  Normal dock is for entry level, a pro dock would be a SPD for those willing to pay for it.  But yeah, the dock you see at the trailer is not a supplimental computing device.  I'm just saying that maybe when they truly announce the Switch, that could be a surprise.

Yeah, you're talking about two different docks, but Nintendo seems to be talking about the dock in general. They didn't make any distinction, to me it seemed like they spoke at a general level.

Around the Network

They are not stupid enough to segment their userbase on day 1, not going to happen

Zkuq said:

Hmm, I suppose that does leave some room for interpretation. Still, I don't think it's going to provide any extra processing power. I imagine they couldn't just bypass it as a 'secondary function' because extra processing power is huge.

They could say it's secondary if its not a lot of power being added.

And I'm actually someone who hopes this doesn't happen, as it would drive up the price for what I think is not a good enough reason. Keep the dock as cheap as possible. I'm just saying that Nintendo never ruled it out. People are just misinterpreting what was said.

spemanig said:
Zkuq said:

And I'm actually someone who hopes this doesn't happen, as it would drive up the price for what I think is not a good enough reason. Keep the dock as cheap as possible. I'm just saying that Nintendo never ruled it out. People are just misinterpreting what was said.

If it's not a lot of power added, it's probably not even worth adding, considering the costs. I'm sure Nintendo sees that too, unless I'm wrong of course.

I think it could happen, but not in the sense of the Pro or Scorpio. It'll probably be a lighter model or something that offers it at a cheaper price.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Zkuq said:

But it would impact every single game directly. That would not be a secondary function. 

Zkuq said:
spemanig said:

If it's not a lot of power added, it's probably not even worth adding, considering the costs. I'm sure Nintendo sees that too, unless I'm wrong of course.

This. Spem even mentioned such in vgchat, if Nintendo were to add extra parts for processing it would simply be too expensive for a $299 or $250 launch, where NX needs to be to get in the most peoples hands. If it isn't going to be a significant boost to power, there is NO reason to put anything in the dock. I think 3 years down the line or so, we will see something come out that attaches to the dock, but day 1 just really doesn't make since to anyone.

If you add significant power to the box you may just create a standalone device with a newer SOC (like a 1060 equivalent) purely for the premium home gamer that renders all games at 4K. 399$ for that could be a winner.

Zkuq said:

If it's enough power to boost the games from 720p to 1080p, I wouldn't say that's a lot of power, and I do think Nintendo could see that being worth it. 1080p is a marketable buzz word.

bigtakilla said:

But it would impact every single game directly. That would not be a secondary function. 

Not by much, so I think it would be.

bigtakilla said:

This. Spem even mentioned such in vgchat, if Nintendo were to add extra parts for processing it would simply be too expensive for a $299 or $250 launch, where NX needs to be to get in the most peoples hands. If it isn't going to be a significant boost to power, there is NO reason to put anything in the dock. I think 3 years down the line or so, we will see something come out that attaches to the dock, but day 1 just really doesn't make since to anyone.

No, I think they could absolutely ad extra processing power to the dock for $300. I just don't think they should. If it's between $300 and extra power, or $250 and vanilla, they should get it down to $250. I agree that they shouldn't do it, but I don't agree that they wouldn't or that they've even suggested that they wouldn't.