By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Calls Scorpio “The Only Console” Capable Of “True 4K” and “Hi-Fidelity VR”

Timing is crucial in video gaming industry, Sony seems to be always one step ahead of Microsoft. By the time Scorpio is launched, it all will be all set and done. MS cant compete with Sony due to price level, you would need a significant investment in MS technology to get 4k and VR. Sony would have an advantage of price and market share at that point of time. In addition, Sony would be miles ahead of MS in planning for next console while MS would just start selling Scorpio.

Around the Network

True! It's also annoying that Sony try's to market their PS4 Pro as a true 4K Console because this is not true, upscaling to 4K is NOT native 4K SONY! The PS4 Pro doesen't even have a 4K Blu-Ray Player :D

TH-Work said:
True! It's also annoying that Sony try's to market their PS4 Pro as a true 4K Console because this is not true, upscaling to 4K is NOT native 4K SONY! The PS4 Pro doesen't even have a 4K Blu-Ray Player :D

I'm updating the list regularly. Look forward to more:

- Bound (Native 4K@60FPS)
- forma.8 (Native 4K@60FPS + 8xMSAA )
- Futuridium EP Deluxe (Native 4K@60FPS)
- Hustle Kings (Native 4K@60?FPS)
- Mantis Burn Racing (Native 4K@60FPS)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Native 4K 80-90% of the time/Dynamic Resolution)
- NBA 2K17 (Native 4K@60FPS + HDR)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (Native 4K@60FPS)
- Rez Infinite (Native 4K@60FPS)
- Skyrim Special Edition (Native 4K@30FPS)
- Smite (Native 4K@60FPS)
- The Elder Scroll Online (Native 4K@30FPS with enhanced details over PS4 version)
- The Last Of Us Remastered (Native 4K@30FPS with the best shadows)
- Thumper (Native 4K@60FPS) Not sure about this one.
- Viking Squad (Native 4K@60FPS).
- VizionEck (Native 4K@60FPS0
- Wheels of Aurelia (Native 4K)

And checkerboard rendering creates an image so close to native 4K that from a few feet away you can't see the difference.

Engadget:

The native game was slightly more saturated and the textures in the grass were clearly resolved while the checkerboard grass shimmered slightly in the breeze. However, from three or four feet away, it was nigh impossible to see a difference.

The PS5 Exists. 

hershel_layton said:
SvennoJ said:

Indeed just as it's true with the same power difference between xbox one and ps4, all games on ps4 are true 1080p while not a single game on xbox one is native 1080p. WiiU doesn't have a single 1080p game either, nor the ps3 or xbox 360!

It's going to be a fun year. By the time the Scorpio comes out that 6tf will look even less impressive than 4.2tf does now. A GT 1080 already does 9tf.

What are their plans for hi-fidelity VR? What the heck is hi-fidelity VR. So many words, so little to actually show. While Nintendo says nothing, finally shows a video without any concrete details only to further stoke the rumors lol.

Back to my low-fi VR fun, getting closer to the platinum in Rez Infinite :)

uhhh...pretty sure smash bros runs at 1080p and 60 fps...

That was my point ;)

I just cleared Direct assault trance mode with first person camera in Rez Infite, low-fi, sub 1080p, frigging awesome.
The old 1.84tf ps4 can do wonders already with psvr, can't wait to see what the pro can do with the render optimizations for vr.
I've completely lost appetite for a 4K tv.

Wow, just when the Pro is near to launch? Classy, MS.

Around the Network

Isn't that statement like Sony coming out and saying the Ps5 is going to be the most powerful console....I guess until then Ps4 will be the most powerful console until the Ps4Pro haha p.s let the PC guys argue over this shit.

Also why do people keep saying the Ps4Pro can't do native 4k, there is a confirmed list that is building seriously go look it up. Just because its not the latest triple A title (which a lot have said they can at 30fps) don't mean it cant do it. Last gen can probably do 4k if the optimised for it just cut down the graphical fidelity.

As for checker board rendering everyone who has seen it is praising it since you can only tell the difference from 2-3ft away. People have even be saying it could get used for more stuff to help save on power (Graphics)

PSVR has come out first and is good for the VR industry and occulus is better and will be on Scorpio but it costs more and the next PSVR 2.0 will probably be better or the same quality at the least for lower price.

Food for thought but Playstation gonna take a hit due to the delays on games and Xbox coming out with big hitters this year, but Playstation in a really good position they got PSVR, Ps4Pro (hit or miss still more mind share) and then next year a bunch of big titles as well as a potential price drop to under cut Scorpio. Fuck man I'm a Sony guy at heart but I hope Xbox will stay strong Phil has been doing a great job but those higher up might be sweating

what was the post again haha sorry for the long post I'm new to this.

walsufnir said:
Wow, just when the Pro is near to launch? Classy, MS.

Yeah, the timing is pretty funny:  Right after the PSVR, right before PS4PRO and right after the Switch announcement.  Not saying all of those are direct competition to the Scorpio, but MS is probably becoming very concerned with being burried under all this and the Scorpio just being too late to the party.  Personally, I'm not sure how good Scorpio will do.  Yeah, it's the strongest upcoming device.  But PSVR will scoop up the majority of console VR enthusiasts in that time, Pro is going to eat right into their market, and while Switch is competing indirectly, consumers only have so much money.  And what's worse, Scorpio launching a year later means the "highend modes" of nearly all games will be based on the PS4 Pro, not the Scorpio, for all of next year and probably most of 2018.  Which means it will be months before 3rd party games take full advantage of the Scorpio.  Which means MS is going to have to sell that thing on a 4k bluray player and a very modest performance difference compared to the Pro all while being more expensive than the Pro and the Switch and having the most costly VR solution on consoles..  So yeah, I can'tblame them for trying to steal some spotlight :P

Nuvendil said:

Yeah, the timing is pretty funny:  Right after the PSVR, right before PS4PRO and right after the Switch announcement.  Not saying all of those are direct competition to the Scorpio, but MS is probably becoming very concerned with being burried under all this and the Scorpio just being too late to the party.  Personally, I'm not sure how good Scorpio will do.  Yeah, it's the strongest upcoming device.  But PSVR will scoop up the majority of console VR enthusiasts in that time, Pro is going to eat right into their market, and while Switch is competing indirectly, consumers only have so much money.  And what's worse, Scorpio launching a year later means the "highend modes" of nearly all games will be based on the PS4 Pro, not the Scorpio, for all of next year and probably most of 2018.  Which means it will be months before 3rd party games take full advantage of the Scorpio.  Which means MS is going to have to sell that thing on a 4k bluray player and a very modest performance difference compared to the Pro all while being more expensive than the Pro and the Switch and having the most costly VR solution on consoles..  So yeah, I can'tblame them for trying to steal some spotlight :P

And let's not forget Sony will be able to boast about having more native 4K games too.

The PS5 Exists. 

I would like MS to include a PC compatibility mode where the Scorpio behaves like a normal PC using the normal PC APIs etc, but I guess that would open it up to be cracked pretty easily and the way MS wants to offer interoperability of PC and Xbox is through the UWP and their own shop instead of giving the console a PC-mode.

GribbleGrunger said:
TH-Work said:

I'm updating the list regularly. Look forward to more:

- Bound (Native 4K@60FPS)
- forma.8 (Native 4K@60FPS + 8xMSAA )
- Futuridium EP Deluxe (Native 4K@60FPS)
- Hustle Kings (Native 4K@60?FPS)
- Mantis Burn Racing (Native 4K@60FPS)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Native 4K 80-90% of the time/Dynamic Resolution)
- NBA 2K17 (Native 4K@60FPS + HDR)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (Native 4K@60FPS)
- Rez Infinite (Native 4K@60FPS)
- Skyrim Special Edition (Native 4K@30FPS)
- Smite (Native 4K@60FPS)
- The Elder Scroll Online (Native 4K@30FPS with enhanced details over PS4 version)
- The Last Of Us Remastered (Native 4K@30FPS with the best shadows)
- Thumper (Native 4K@60FPS) Not sure about this one.
- Viking Squad (Native 4K@60FPS).
- VizionEck (Native 4K@60FPS0
- Wheels of Aurelia (Native 4K)

And checkerboard rendering creates an image so close to native 4K that from a few feet away you can't see the difference.

Engadget:

The native game was slightly more saturated and the textures in the grass were clearly resolved while the checkerboard grass shimmered slightly in the breeze. However, from three or four feet away, it was nigh impossible to see a difference.

Tetris and Remasters of old PS3 Games are not the games in 4K what people expects now from the PS4 Pro! Mayor AAA Titles will only be upscaled to 4K. But Sony markets the PS4 Pro like every game will be in native 4K which is in my opinion false advertising!