By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WSJ: Switch Fails To Turn On Investors

Soundwave said:b
If it does run Android apps, I think Nintendo needs to communicate that, that will make investors happy.

Well this is the question, and if it does, it certainly is going to have a touch-screen, even if Nintedo doesn't emphasize that for games
(which is a good idea IMHO, it is more useful for general purpose type apps, although obviously Android games would also work.)
Really, I don't see why they shouldn't go with Android, this will be about the strongest small-form-factor ARM tablet you can get.
EDIT: Only issue might be relatively low resolution screen.  Not a reason to exclude Android compatabilty as side-feature IMHO.

People can vaguely understand that the underlying tech is largely similar to what Android tablets give you.
So excluding that functionality means people are like "Oh, I have to buy this AND a tablet, and carry them both around?"
Never mind that Nintendo can roll up a custom Android that only works with it's own app store, so they get 30% cut of regular apps too.
I also think it is a good idea because all of the Switch games would be basically developed for a specific variant of Android.
Meaning they can later be trivially "ported" to vanilla Android (when generic hardware equals/surpasses Tegra 2) for mass sales.

Around the Network

I don't think investors care about quality games and awesome gaming experiences, they just care about making money. They can go shove it.