By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Switch could be make-or-break for Nintendo.

I think the biggest thing going against it is that it's a handheld (I don't care what Nintendo says -- it's a handheld) that's probably going to sell at a console price -- which is going to turn off a ton of people. The lack of power will also probably turn off core gamers and make the NS miss out on a ton of 3rd party games. Its best shot to me is positioning itself as a companion device but that will only work once the price goes down to around 150-200 dollars.

Around the Network

110% agreed. I really hope Nintendo makes the right decisions this time around because they have to... Not saying they will go out of business if they don't but man it will be a big hit to the moral of the company if it fails.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I think that if the Switch flounders, we'll get a 3DS successor. We might even get one, anyway. I'm not sold on the Swii doing well against mobile devices. As a portable, it's going to be expensive and inconvenient, both of which are negatives in that space.

It has to sell at least 40 million.

Less than that would be crushingly embarrassing to Nintendo's hardware division, that would be a monstrous decline even from the 3DS + Wii U era which already wasn't a great generation.

I think this is the new Wii, in sales I mean. It is just awesome, really amazing. I could not be more excited, it is cool looking, and if Nintendo keep the games coming, it will be a sure winner.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

I hope it breaks them. They are already pretty much a mobile company. Might as well as drop the pretenses and go all out.

WagnerPaiva said:
I think this is the new Wii, in sales I mean. It is just awesome, really amazing. I could not be more excited, it is cool looking, and if Nintendo keep the games coming, it will be a sure winner.

Wii had a completely, mold breaking new control scheme aimed at an audience no one was making games for. 

The two are almost nothing alike, lol. PSVR has more in common with the Wii as far being someting legitimately different from anything on the market. 

Switch's closest hardware equivalent is a Wii U, yes it's considerably better executed thanks to better technology available today, but still. 

Nah, Nintendo still has one more generation and that goes for everyone else as well ...

Whether they will take it or not in the face of it's possible failure is a matter of if ...

We still haven't quite reached the plateau of transistor technology yet so there is still more to come ...

pokoko said:
I think that if the Switch flounders, we'll get a 3DS successor. We might even get one, anyway. I'm not sold on the Swii doing well against mobile devices. As a portable, it's going to be expensive and inconvenient, both of which are negatives in that space.

Man, I already consider the NS the 3DS's successor.  It's basically a Nvidia Shield with video-out capabilities regardless of how much Nintendo insists that it's primarily a home console.

of course Nintendo has something to fall back on, mobile, movies, theme parks, various licensing deals. Nintendo in the last couple years has been making alot of moves to increase the number of revenue streams they have.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.