By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-ray killing hddvd in Europe.

vizunary said:
nathantay said:

The reason bluray will not win is because bluray fans don't buy the amount of movies as the hddvd fans do. Hddvd owners have an average of 30+ movies compared to bluray 10+ movies, also sales of actual hddvd  players outsell bluray players 3 to 1 in America. Sony forced millions of gamers into bluray with the PS3 and they buy more games than movies that is why they only have around 55% of the hd market. People that have hddvd players are movie buffs and bought hddvd because it offers the same audio & video capabilities of bluray at about half the price. The only advantage the bluray technology has is that it holds 50gb to hddvd 30gb. Within a year hddvd will have a disk that holds 51gb so they will be more or less equal except in price where hddvd is the clear winner. I'm sure bluray will come out with a new disk that holds more but really why would you need more than 50gb for a movie. People that have or want a PS3 need to stop posting on the hd format war because they don't really know what they are talking about they just want to say Sony is winning at something.

Your a DUMBASS, sorry this had to be pointed out. 1st you are using bias figures that try to say that PS3 sales don't count as blu ray sales and that's BS, in fact i wouldn't mind a poll on here of PS3 owners that have at least 1 BD and probably more. I would guess the only ones who don't probably do not have an HDTV, so it wouldn't make sense to invest in BDs yet.  They were actually MANY movie buffs, as you put it, that held out on getting a Blu-ray player because the first generation hardware generally sucks and they knew they could get a PS3 cheaper than any other player. As for your second stupid comment, learn how the this tecnology works or expect to get reamed by someone that does. A 51 GB HD-DVD is going to be just as expensive to produce as a dual layer BD, plus there are octal, that's eight, layer BD that, number 1, works on my machine, and number 2, is already made, just not needed or affordable to produce. Plus the new tri-layer HDDVD discs from Toshiba WILL NOT play in todays HDDVD players, so you are in point in fact royally F#CKED if toshiba gets their way and this disc becomes the standard by which all HD DVD will be made.

quote from reghardware

"The snag, of course, is that today's HD DVD players will be incapable of reading the new disc, which is something of a problem for early adopters, who will presumably have to buy new kit. Toshiba last week positioned the new disc as an "extended capacity, high-end option". ®

Don't worry, I'm sure these new players will be at half the price of a BD player ;)

I said actual players DUMBASS the PS3 is a videogame machine with a bluray drive in it. And if you count the PS3 as a bluray player than you have like 15 bluray players to 1 hddvd player. Why do they only have 55% of the market share and why does the bluray technology have alot more technical problems with the players and the movies yet you still favor it over hddvd when it's more reliable, cheaper, and the same quality.

Around the Network
nathantay said:

The reason bluray will not win is because bluray fans don't buy the amount of movies as the hddvd fans do. Hddvd owners have an average of 30+ movies compared to bluray 10+ movies, also sales of actual hddvd  players outsell bluray players 3 to 1 in America. Sony forced millions of gamers into bluray with the PS3 and they buy more games than movies that is why they only have around 55% of the hd market. People that have hddvd players are movie buffs and bought hddvd because it offers the same audio & video capabilities of bluray at about half the price. The only advantage the bluray technology has is that it holds 50gb to hddvd 30gb. Within a year hddvd will have a disk that holds 51gb so they will be more or less equal except in price where hddvd is the clear winner. I'm sure bluray will come out with a new disk that holds more but really why would you need more than 50gb for a movie. People that have or want a PS3 need to stop posting on the hd format war because they don't really know what they are talking about they just want to say Sony is winning at something.

I agree to the first part of your first sentence. HD DVD was launched before BD, as always... Sony ensure they are set on the format before releasing something to fark their supporters. That is why, most videophile has already got their hands on the HD DVD player and are buying HD movies. Well, these videophiles are a small group of the global market. IF 10% of the consumer(HD) buys 30+ movies, and the rest (BD) 5+ movies. BD is still the winner. You dun use movies/customer to compare, but you use total sales.

"Sony forced millions of gamers into bluray with the PS3 and they buy more games than movies that is why they only have around 55% of the hd market."

Forced?? I feel that it is a necessity! How many people wanna be swapping 5 disc while playing some huge content game? Do you know that there is a relation between content/graphics and capacity?

Even if HD DVD can release a 100TB Disc media.... What are you gonna have on it?? 10 years of Universal Studio movies all in 1 disc? HD DVD do not have enough studio to back em up. they need content! Just like PS3 needs more games(contents), if it wants to win the console race. I do agree that format war has no direct relation to PS3. But! indirectly, if BD is the favourite, PS3 sales would move(as a BD player). By then, it may be the hottest selling consoles, but is it the best gaming console? We are still too early to conclude. As of now, Wii has the highest sales, but I find the games are better on the PS3. Wii has lots of games, but each game has very little content(20-30hrs). it takes a few days to finish the entire 4.7gb of game.

who gives a damn how many plastic discs are being sold, geez. the machines the discs are on are not selling so why don't we discuss that shall we? Diss.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Blue Dragon is a 3 disc game???

had it been graphically enhanced like FF13 you would have had well over 5 discs.

now do you still wanna argue that you dont need Blue Ray.

HD DVD is 15 gig per side so still its not good for a game like FF13 which might take up 50gig space

kber81 said:
FishyJoe said:
Funny thing is the same people claiming that Blu-ray is owning the market are the same people who say the PSP are PS3 are in good shape, even though the PSP and PS3 have much lower market shares respectively.

There is an explanation for these. First of all PSP and PS3 have more or less full software support. Almost every third party developer provide games for these systems. Despite lower sales situation is still good. HDDVD has no such privilege. It's obviously inferior to Blu-Ray AND has no support in Hollywood. Everyone can spin it off but that's the fact. Blu-Ray is winning and it's good for customers. Bigger potential means less change in near future.

It gives you the same picture and sound quality so how is hddvd inferior. Last time I checked hddvd has over 200 titles in the U.S. only about 30 behind bluray so how does it not have support in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Neos said:
who gives a damn how many plastic discs are being sold, geez. the machines the discs are on are not selling so why don't we discuss that shall we? Diss.

It's similar situation to X360. Console itself doesn't sell spectaculary. Software does. It's exaggerated but the deal is real money comes from soft and movies not hardware.

Plastic discs.... LOL. 

larry said:

Blue Dragon is a 3 disc game???

had it been graphically enhanced like FF13 you would have had well over 5 discs.

now do you still wanna argue that you dont need Blue Ray.

HD DVD is 15 gig per side so still its not good for a game like FF13 which might take up 50gig space

Blue Dragon is a 3 disc game because it's on a dvd not an Hddvd. Hddvd gives you 30 gb per side and no game will ever come close to using 50gb much less 30gb that hddvd gives you.

nathantay said:

It gives you the same picture and sound quality so how is hddvd inferior. Last time I checked hddvd has over 200 titles in the U.S. only about 30 behind bluray so how does it not have support in Hollywood.

It's all about space. Only one major studio support HDDVD exclusively - Universal Pictures - this is 6.5% not so impressive.

Sony-Columbia alone has 22.8 % marketshare. Add Fox, Buena Vista etc. the difference is huge.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/

Silver_Z said:

How many people wanna be swapping 5 disc while playing some huge content game? Do you know that there is a relation between content/graphics and capacity?

Even if HD DVD can release a 100TB Disc media.... What are you gonna have on it?? 10 years of Universal Studio movies all in 1 disc? HD DVD do not have enough studio to back em up. they need content! Just like PS3 needs more games(contents), if it wants to win the console race. I do agree that format war has no direct relation to PS3. But! indirectly, if BD is the favourite, PS3 sales would move(as a BD player). By then, it may be the hottest selling consoles, but is it the best gaming console? We are still too early to conclude. As of now, Wii has the highest sales, but I find the games are better on the PS3. Wii has lots of games, but each game has very little content(20-30hrs). it takes a few days to finish the entire 4.7gb of game.

It's a stopgap solution.  This has happened before, and it will happen again:

Floppy disk  < CD-ROM < DVD-ROM < HD-DVD < Blu-Ray < ?

There will be something to fill in the space reserved by the ?, that's for sure! In time, something will replace ? as well.

However, it's not like you are going to constantly swap discs - you'd probably swap a disc every few hours of gameplay, and in that sense I don't see the problem. Even LOTR (the movie) required you to swap discs due to the extremely long movies they were, but people still bought them in droves.

Very good point: Content is king. For this matter alone, due to the lack of backing by studios, I can see HD-DVD losing the war, regardless of which format is technically superior, which for me is completely irrelevant.

nathantay said:

no game will ever come close to using 50gb much less 30gb that hddvd gives you.

Kojima has already said he NEEDS a 50gig Br disk for MGS4, and even that might not be enouth.

SE needs Br space for FF13

ND needs BR for Uncharted

they only happen to be the best developers in the world , but sure dude sure.  You know better.