By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Veknoid's Top 50 FPS Project

COD BO3.

Around the Network

Heya, it's been a while and tagged.

jason1637 said:

COD BO3.

I didn't really like BO or BO2, so I think I'm going to stay away from Treyarch's work moving forward.

But I appreciate the recommendation!

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Leadified said:
I wouldn't consider Metroid Prime or Portal to be FPS games because the overall structure of the games are different from other FPSes.

Portal at its core is a puzzle platform game, your "weapon" is only used to solve puzzles and it cannot directly actually harm enemies. The main purpose of the game is to solve puzzles and escape the facility.

Metroid Prime is more like Zelda in Space with guns, if you ask me. The overall structure is to explore the planet, collect items and artifacts or keys or whatever, solve puzzles and defeat bosses. Except for a few circumstances you are not required to kill most enemies and most enemies do not much require much strategy to actually defeat. Combat is mostly secondary to exploration, puzzle solving and item collecting. Samus in the games after collecting some powerups is an absolute beast compared to for example Master Chief in Halo, I do not think that anything in Metroid Prime can instantly kill Samus (except for Phazon overload in Prime 3) this is because the health system in Prime is built towards exploration while in Halo is build towards combat.

tl;dr Portal and Metroid Prime do not feel like other shooters to me so I wouldn't consider them to be FPS games.

Yeah, I feel the same way. What about Deus Ex or something like Peter Jackson's King Kong?

I agree about Portal, but I'm not so sure about Metroid Prime.  It is certainly true that it is very different from "traditional" FPSes, what with its puzzle elements and power-ups, but you are in fact in first person perspective and you do in fact shoot enemies.  I would understand if you felt it was so radically different that it is not as able to be directly compared as the rest of the list is, but in that case I think you would want to clarify that in the description of the list that you will be making. 

Sort of like Super Mario Strikers and FIFA 2005 were both soccer games. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Oh yeah, by the way, i was playing Nosferatu Wrath of Malachi. It's a survival horror fps game and with inspiration from F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu and John William Polidori's The Vampyre.

You can find this game on gog or steam, however there's widescreen resolution issue, so, here's a fix. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Nosferatu:_The_Wrath_of_Malachi

Around the Network
QUAKECore89 said:

Oh yeah, by the way, i was playing Nosferatu Wrath of Malachi. It's a survival horror fps game and with inspiration from F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu and John William Polidori's The Vampyre.

You can find this game on gog or steam, however there's widescreen resolution issue, so, here's a fix. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Nosferatu:_The_Wrath_of_Malachi

Never heard of this before! Just added to my GOG wishlist :)

Why is there something on Hot Topics that's not about the NinSwi? Reported.

Also, what was your final definition of "FPS"? What makes a game exempt?

I tried to play STALKER but I could not get it to work on Windows 7.

Does Descent qualify as a FPS?

Player2 said:

I'm not sure. Forsaken should count too, if Descent qualifies. What do you think?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Player2 said:

I'm not sure. Forsaken should count too, if Descent qualifies. What do you think?

They're still first person games, you still shoot at enemies and the structure of the games isn't that different from FPSs of their era, I don't think anybody will complain. So it's up to you how much do you want to stretch things.