By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is college worth it?

In my country Latvia college costs peanuts compared to USA but still expensive for most local people. Worth or not depends on the field. My program (business and IT) was a complete joke, a waste of 4 years and a few thousand $. They filled it with mostly highschool stuff and some courses were literally made up crap. For example there was a course called Logic which had absolutely no logic to it, I am certain it was made up by a schizophrenic in 19th century and when my course mate asked the lecturer where this 'knowledge' is used in the real life the lecturer became really nervous and didn't answer the question. By the way most course mates including myself didn't pass this Logic crap and had to go to the lecturer's native uni for individual extra lessons to earn low score and pass this nonsense course.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

I think the traditional education system is over.

Why do we need lectures? they are inefficient and a lot of what's presented can be self-taught. It's 2016 god damn, there is no excuse for crappy education.

I have read that up to 80% do not work in the field that they studied (USA), so really any low cost community college is all you need.

Also consider opportunity costs, you are losing 5 years of income sitting in a university.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg

The Fury said:
Snoopy said:
Also, parents need to stop telling their kids if they work hard they will be successful. Not true at all. Only a few can succeed in life I am afraid.

Rather pessimistic view. It's rather subjective too, what is success to one person might not be for the next. Depends on their upbringing and social standing.

Sorry, I was referring to financial success.

Snoopy said:
The Fury said:

Rather pessimistic view. It's rather subjective too, what is success to one person might not be for the next. Depends on their upbringing and social standing.

Ah okay, you mean like millions right? I mean, no debt other than mortgage might be 'success' to some. (Don't worry, I get ya, we can't all be the Bill Gates of the world).

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Snoopy said:

Ah okay, you mean like millions right? I mean, no debt other than mortgage might be 'success' to some. (Don't worry, I get ya, we can't all be the Bill Gates of the world).

True, in terms of success for me is to have a decent job, no debt, paid off house (doesn't have to be big) and back up plan. Thats why I want to also be a landlord to have a back up plan.

Snoopy said:

True, in terms of success for me is to have a decent job, no debt, paid off house (doesn't have to be big) and back up plan. Thats why I want to also be a landlord to have a back up plan.

I'm the same, my job doesn't really do well for pension so wanted some backup for when I'm older. That backup is saving as much as I can and if and when I can, invest in another property or more to rent, so later in life I can sell up or rent for income. It's a good plan in the long run.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Snoopy said:

I'm the same, my job doesn't really do well for pension so wanted some backup for when I'm older. That backup is saving as much as I can and if and when I can, invest in another property or more to rent, so later in life I can sell up or rent for income. It's a good plan in the long run.

It's a good plan in the short run. You can make $10,000+ dollars a year by doing that.

Its definitely more worth it than hanging around in a video game forum

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

LurkerJ said:
I think the traditional education system is over.

Why do we need lectures? they are inefficient and a lot of what's presented can be self-taught. It's 2016 god damn, there is no excuse for crappy education.

Couldn't agree more. But hey, Professors need food on their tables too.