By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is college worth it?

Speaking with different people, it seems a lot of people go to college but they get degrees in fields that are pretty much useless. It helps to major in something useful

I admit that I'm lucky. I'm probably as dumb as a brick. I've worked several jobs that a trained monkey could do but i always gave 100% and I guess the right people paid attention.

Around the Network

I went to university for a semester until I realized it's not for me. I then did a standard 3 year job training and now a have a comfortable Job that's fun and pays well.
Meanwhile a friend of mine currently working on her doctorate has trouble finding an enjoyable and well paying job.

It really depends on what you want to do with your life. If you have no clear idea or aspirations I doubt there is much of a difference between university and a long term internship.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

superchunk said:
I have a Master's, I love my job and make over six figures in US. I hire people right out college with their Bachelor's and offer six figure salaries.

Yes, college is most definitely worth it if you don't waste your time and don't act like your still in highschool.

Was the old job similarly good to you?

Not to sound like an a-hole, but you used to be on VGC all the time and I even remember how you once complained about not being able to be on VGC if you are at work thanks to the sexual avatars. It's almost as if you had too much time on your hands lol

maverick40 said:
superchunk said:
I have a Master's, I love my job and make over six figures in US. I hire people right out college with their Bachelor's and offer six figure salaries.

Yes, college is most definitely worth it if you don't waste your time and don't act like your still in highschool.

Any jobs for an over educated Irish man?

Saw your post above, seems like you're too niche. I work in high-tech - software engineering. Do you have that as part of your skill set?

LurkerJ said:

Not to sound like an a-hole, but you used to be on VGC all the time and I even remember how you once complained about not being able to be on VGC if you are at work thanks to the sexual avatars. It's almost as if you had too much time on your hands lol

I would still complain about sexual avatars as that's just NSFW in the US in pretty much any career and I don't know why you'd consider that as a factor of good/bad job.

I made $60k right out of college, then went to $80k within 3 years, then to $200k within 9 years of graduation and will continue to increase for the foreseable future. Current job is best I've ever had post-graduation, but none were "bad"; I've enjoyed each.

Sure, you can be happy and do very well for yourself without college. However, that path to success has a far lower percentage of happening and generally a lot harder than spending 4 to 6 years in college. (of course money isn't everything and if you're happy with $30 to $40k salary, then be happy)

I have a friend who struggled for 20 years post-highschool and now owns his own Heating/Cooling company making six figures and I'm sure he can continue growing it to match/beat my own salary at some point. He doesn't necessarily work harder or easier than me but he is in heat and other elements all day while I sit here now in my office looking out the window to a lake. Hopefully, he will continue to grow so he can sit in his home office while others work soon.

I also have a much larger group of friends who continue to struggle and every single friend I know who has earned a university degree is doing very well for themselves. Yes, most are in the tech industry, but that is just smart for understanding the job market trends and tech being in perpetual demand.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
LurkerJ said:

I would still complain about sexual avatars as that's just NSFW in the US in pretty much any career and I don't know why you'd consider that as a factor of good/bad job.

I made $60k right out of college, then went to $80k within 3 years, then to $200k within 9 years of graduation and will continue to increase for the foreseable future. Current job is best I've ever had post-graduation, but none were "bad"; I've enjoyed each.

Sure, you can be happy and do very well for yourself without college. However, that path to success has a far lower percentage of happening and generally a lot harder than spending 4 to 6 years in college. (of course money isn't everything and if you're happy with $30 to $40k salary, then be happy)

I have a friend who struggled for 20 years post-highschool and now owns his own Heating/Cooling company making six figures and I'm sure he can continue growing it to match/beat my own salary at some point. He doesn't necessarily work harder or easier than me but he is in heat and other elements all day while I sit here now in my office looking out the window to a lake. Hopefully, he will continue to grow so he can sit in his home office while others work soon.

I also have a much larger group of friends who continue to struggle and every single friend I know who has earned a university degree is doing very well for themselves. Yes, most are in the tech industry, but that is just smart for understanding the job market trends and tech being in perpetual demand.

Sorry If I sounded rude. I am happy one of VGC veterans has figured life out :)

My family is just having this conversation now. Yes, if you are in America and you don't want to settle for mediocre warehouse, fast food, and customer service, a degree is minimal to securing a decent living. Now, a degree isn't as useful as it was even 10 years ago, but it's better to have one than to not have one.

And, to play devil's advocate, if you have a passion that where going to school hinders you passion, drop out and pursue your ambitions and dreams. Like Bill Gates who dropped out of Harvard. Maybe not to that extent, but you get what I'm saying. For certain fields, it's not really necessary but it helps to go to college for like people in digital media. It helps to go to college but it isn't necessary. You just need to get better, and build your portfolio, and apply yourself.

College is important, please go. I'm a 3rd year student. It has helped me a great deal.

d21lewis said:

I didn't go to college. I graduated, joined the air force, broke my leg, and just went from job to job. Now, I work at a nuclear power plant. No credit card bills. No loans. No car payments. I own my own land. I can put away over a grand in the bank every month and still do whatever I want to do ( just got back from Disney World on Saturday morning).

My wife also didn't go to college. She manages apartment complexes and she makes great money. She doesn't even have to help me pay bills.

My friend went to college to become a lawyer. He worked at Wal Mart until he was almost thirty until he finally graduated. Now, be works at a bank. Wtf!?!

Meanwhile my ex's son graduated Clemson college to become a chemical engineer. He's traveled waaaaaaaaaaay more than me and makes as much, if not more than I do--but he's got a lot of debt, too.

So what's your story? Did you go to college? Did it help or hurt you? Was the experience and knowledge worth the price of admission?

I went to college for free. I work for the state, doing administration work with a powerful union. It's easy money, but I feel like I probably could've done better going into a trade.

d21lewis said:

I didn't go to college. I graduated, joined the air force, broke my leg, and just went from job to job. Now, I work at a nuclear power plant. No credit card bills. No loans. No car payments. I own my own land. I can put away over a grand in the bank every month and still do whatever I want to do ( just got back from Disney World on Saturday morning).

My wife also didn't go to college. She manages apartment complexes and she makes great money. She doesn't even have to help me pay bills.

My friend went to college to become a lawyer. He worked at Wal Mart until he was almost thirty until he finally graduated. Now, be works at a bank. Wtf!?!

Meanwhile my ex's son graduated Clemson college to become a chemical engineer. He's traveled waaaaaaaaaaay more than me and makes as much, if not more than I do--but he's got a lot of debt, too.

So what's your story? Did you go to college? Did it help or hurt you? Was the experience and knowledge worth the price of admission?

(Coming from an underprivileged American who was out of high school in 2010, right in the middle of our economic crisis)

I opted out of going to college and immediately joined the work force - started at Jamba Juice, saved up enough for a car and landed my first real "job" as a lube tech at Lithia Subaru. Climbed my way up through the rankings there, gained a ton of mechanical knowledge, and packed my shit and took another step up; this time as an oil refinery operator (which is very similar to your line of work according to one of my coworkers from the Navy). I've been there about two years and just gave them my two week notice like... Last week. I've been able to wipe out my debt in the time here and am prepared to move forward with a different career in mind - high voltage line man for PGE but it will require a 4 year stint at IBEW to become a journeyman electrician. 

College is definitely not for everyone and you don't need it for success, it just boils down to how self motivated you are. Too many of my friends will end up stuck with their job because they're afraid to make any leap in order to better their standard of living, but not me. I'm excited for my debt free future and feel deep down that I have no regrets about skipping out on school loans.

Agree that it depends. I was unable to reasonable afford college and due to medical condition had to have employment and health insurance as soon as possible. I use to feel like I missed out, but I got a job and after several promotions over ten years I make good money with amazing benefits at a large company.

My best friends (a married couple) both went to college. He got a an engineering degree and makes great money and has been able to pay off his massive debt within 10 years. Meanwhile her degree didn't give her the same employment opportunity so she struggles under her debt and won't be debt free until she is 47.

I think people who imagine a degree as this golden ticket to prosperity often get a rude awakening that often in the real world it is your skills, hard work, and frankly a considerable amount of good fortune or timing that lead to how well you manage in life.