By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What can make "Home" an Online revolution.

I have read a few threads of late talking about how "Home" is nothing more then a Second Live clone with no real improvement to gaming. Here is where Home can shine (if done right). Oh, and these are not things that are totally hypothetical. I have heard Sony talk about them as part of the Home vision.

• Virtual gaming conferences. Ever want to go to CES, or one of the high profile gaming conferences? It would be awesome, but you have to fly somewhere, book a hotel, pay entrance fees, and feed yourself for a week. It's not cheap. One of the ideas with Home, is to open up virtual conferences. You pay 5 bucks or something, and enter a conference hall with your aviator. You can walk up to booths of the latest games coming out, and play then with remote play. No need to download the game to your system, just start playing MGS4 months before it's going to come out, or hundreds of other games coming out. While your waiting to try the game, you can chat with the developers. Or, you could head over to a conference room and catch a seminar about the latest thing your favorite developer is working on. You don't get the two suit cases fill with junk that you get from a conference, but you do get to save a few thousand dollars.
  • Launching off points for games. Here is one that I think is being developed.  A Warhawk war-room. Let's say you have your group together that's going to go into battle. First you meet up in a war-room, and see a miniature version of the game map modeled on a table in front of you. Your group can plan out your mission, just like you were in a real war-room. Once your all on the same page, enter the game and play.
  • Much cooler achievements. The options for achievements grows quite a bit with the advent on a virtual world. One of the achievements being made at the moment, is a stand up arcade machine when you finish Uncharted. You get an arcade machine that you put in your home, and you get an entirely new game. It's a contra style game with the uncharted characters.

There are other cool and unique things that home offers, but I just wanted to point out a few things that were not "just run around and dance".

Around the Network

There's something else, like the ability to watch a blu-ray movie with your friend on your HOME, its a great way to share stuff even if oyu live hundreds of miles away,

mM

The Sims is the best sold PC game of all time, Home is a lot like an online socially interactive version of the Sims in many ways. It's free for any PS3 owner, it allows you to meet new people and your friends in public places, there being able to instantly play some pool, chess, checkers, bowling, have conversations. etc with them. Invite people into your Home as a jumpboard to play online games together and after done playing return to your home to discuss, share content, let them admire your Home or trophies, etc.

The core concept holds a lot of potential and looks really sweet so far. I think this can well turn out to be a major PS3 exclusive killer feature. I think many people see this potential as well, it also worries some fans of rival platforms, so many try to downplay its potential or usefulness.

There are many nice walkthrough beta videos at youtube.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Actually getting the thing released would help! lol

leo-j said:
There's something else, like the ability to watch a blu-ray movie with your friend on your HOME, its a great way to share stuff even if oyu live hundreds of miles away,

Oh no....here we go again.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
leo-j said:

Oh no....here we go again.

hahaha, and Leo-J, even if it was posable, I am not sure why I would want to sit and watch a two hour movie that I have most likely seen (if I was the host), just so one friend can watch it too.

It's not really something that even if posable, I could see anyone really doing. 

It will may well be possible to watch Blu-Ray/DVD content with friends, the content (or even Lair gameplay) can be streamed to a PSP as well. But on a PSP or if so within Home the streaming quality won't be of Blu-Ray quality, the PS3 decodes the Blu-Ray content and then probably significantly downgrades the video's audio and resolution so the content can be streamed and viewed by others.

Would still be a great feature to have though (sharing video files stored on the harddrive is confirmed), youtube is very popular despite the sucky quality, producing much better quality than youtube quality should be possible to achieve, gametrailers.com quality perhaps.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
It will may well be possible to watch Blu-Ray/DVD content with friends, the content (or even Lair gameplay) can be streamed to a PSP as well. But on a PSP or if so within Home the streaming quality won't be of Blu-Ray quality, the PS3 decodes the Blu-Ray content and then probably significantly downgrades the video's audio and resolution so the content can be streamed and viewed by others.

Would still be a great feature to have though (sharing video files stored on the harddrive is confirmed), youtube is very popular despite the sucky quality, producing much better quality than youtube quality should be possible to achieve, gametrailers.com quality perhaps.

If they can do it, cool. I just don't see it a feature anyone would use. I could see putting movies clips like youtube in your house for people to watch. But these are typically short clips.

Streaming a two hour movie to watch with one other household just seems like something I couldn't see people doing.

Since when is taking Second Life or The Sims and combining it with achievements and online revolution haha.

I think Home will be good, but I can't think of anything that ill make it a 'revolution'.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions