By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Pro Wrasslin' Thread (WWE, WWF, WCW, TNA, ROH, NWA, NJPW, etc)

Tagged games:

What match are you excited for at WWE Payback 2017?

Neville vs. Austin Aries ... 1 5.88%

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyat... 3 17.65%

The Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro... 3 17.65%

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jer... 4 23.53%

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title) 3 17.65%

Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe 1 5.88%

Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman 2 11.76%

Total:17

Even though I often wind up disappointed, I always get hyped for the rumble.

Predicting Big E for the men's, and Asuka for the women's. Although, maybe more wishful thinking than anything.

Around the Network

Same with me. For all of the "road to Wrestlemania" season.

Wwe is simply not a wrestling company anymore. The core adult audience has all but been abandoned.

I kinda feel bad for the older talent that still work there and have had to watch the business become something completely different than the one we and they fell in love with.

Vince is happy... Still making insane amounts of money.

ironmanDX said:

Wwe is simply not a wrestling company anymore. The core adult audience has all but been abandoned.

I kinda feel bad for the older talent that still work there and have had to watch the business become something completely different than the one we and they fell in love with.

Dunno if I'd agree with that. More often than not when I watch a WWE PPV ... errrr... premium live event, I'm reasonably entertained for 3-4 hours. I usually don't feel the way I did when I was in my teens, but that's the way it is with many things in life. 

BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:

Predicting Big E for the men's, and Asuka for the women's. Although, maybe more wishful thinking than anything.

Didnt Asuka win the first Women's RR?

She would be the first to get two wins if that is the case. I cant really think of who I would want to win the Women's RR.

Maybe Bayley will win since she's rumored to return.

I dont think Big E's gonna win but wouldnt mind.

They'll probably pull a Brock Lesnar win (if he loses to Bobby Lashley in their main event). (Wouldnt mind the other way either).

Personally I know its not gonna happen but I wouldnt mind a AJ Styles win.

ironmanDX said:

I'm sure older talent like Orton are happy as it is. 

Sami Zayn and KO resigned literally recently so the $$$$ talks lol.

Yup. Asuka did. If Bayley comes back that's definitely possible, but with 2 heel champs atm not sure how well that would work. 

BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:

Didnt Asuka win the first Women's RR?

She would be the first to get two wins if that is the case. I cant really think of who I would want to win the Women's RR.

Maybe Bayley will win since she's rumored to return.

I dont think Big E's gonna win but wouldnt mind.

They'll probably pull a Brock Lesnar win (if he loses to Bobby Lashley in their main event). (Wouldnt mind the other way either).

Personally I know its not gonna happen but I wouldnt mind a AJ Styles win.

ironmanDX said:

I'm sure older talent like Orton are happy as it is.

Sami Zayn and KO resigned literally recently so the $$$$ talks lol.

I meant older talent like triple h, undertaker, batista and hbk. Undertaker specifically has had some unflattering things to say as has batista in the past. Probably harder for hbk and hhh to talk as they're still on the books. 

I was to harsh, the stuff wwe have been putting out of late has actually been getting better. I am cautiously optimistic about WrestleMania season. 

Around the Network

Well, didn't take them too long to disappoint me XD Spoilers ahead.

Rollins and Reigns were on there way to a great match, but it ended in a DQ. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but when WWE has so many non-finishes on TV, sucks when they do it on a PPV.

Women's Rumble was ok. A lot of nostalgia, and it was fun that they actually built on past feuds and had a lot of easter eggs for for long term fans. Ie Michelle attacking Mickie James or Alicia trying to team up with the Bellas. But, why bring back people like Melina, if they're going to get eliminated in like five seconds. Ivory's cameo was excellent though. And holy shit that woman has aged like fine wine. Pretty sure she's like 60, but looked great.If she's had work done, then a lot of the younger girls need to get that surgeon's number.

Rousey winning was... meh. Ok I guess. I'd rather see someone else get a chance to main event Mania. I guess the plan is to get the fans back on her decide by virtue of how much they hate Charlotte. It worked for the night at least. We'll see how it works out long term.

Becky vs Doudrop was fine. Hard to get invested when the winner is never in doubt. But Duodrop looked good, and Becky looked better for overcoming a larger opponent. No complaints. Wouldn't watch it again.

Another title match with no clean finish -_-... If they were going to not do a clean finish for Brock and Lashley, then they should have at least had one for the other match. This one also wasn't as good before the interference.

Mixed tag match was fun. Very sports entertainment. Beth seems a bit better than last we saw her. The personalities and characters are good here, and there were some neat spots. Very soap opera-ish feud, but there's a place for that. Hope it's over though.

Been a mediocre night of wrestling so far. We'll see if the men's rumble can save it.

Well, spoilers, doesn't look like the Men's rumble will save it. Whoever of the remaining guys (probably Brock) wins it, I will leave disappointed.

Edit: Well, good thing they're giving that young up and comer Brock Lesnar a chance. -_-...

BasilZero said:

Glad Lashley won - a win is a win, regardless of whether it was clean or dirty.

Reigns winning is great too.

Edge/Beth vs Miz/Maryse was actually enjoyable

Doudrop vs Becky was a bathroom break.

Lesnar winning the RR is eh....okay I guess.

Ronda winning the Women's RR was predictable but okay too.

Honestly the women's RR was more enjoyable than the men's because of all the uncommon people who appeared in the match - the men's RR felt like pretty much the last 3 years of rumbles - no actual surprises.

I wonder who will face Lashley at WM (or if they make him lose the title at the "Elimination chamber".

Overall pretty average.

I'd say average is being generous. I care more about seeing a good match than the person I like more winning. Neither of the title matches were good, even if the results were right. Brock Lesnar could have had a rematch without winning the Rumble. Especially having him eliminate the one guy who has actually beaten him over the past few years. Ronda Rousey winning was fine on its own. If they had one predictable finish where a top guy/girl won and one where someone new got a big moment, that would have been ok. Having two people now going to Wrestlemania to face people they've already faced at Wrestlemania... well, kind of hard to get excited for that.

Maryse and Miz vs Beth Phoenix and Edge was the match of the night, which kind of says it all.

Great ppv until the men's Rumble. There was just no excitement. No stars. It felt like nothing. Brock didn't even need to win because he never got his match with Roman. They could have booked it so much better!

BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:

I'd say average is being generous. I care more about seeing a good match than the person I like more winning. Neither of the title matches were good, even if the results were right. Brock Lesnar could have had a rematch without winning the Rumble. Especially having him eliminate the one guy who has actually beaten him over the past few years. Ronda Rousey winning was fine on its own. If they had one predictable finish where a top guy/girl won and one where someone new got a big moment, that would have been ok. Having two people now going to Wrestlemania to face people they've already faced at Wrestlemania... well, kind of hard to get excited for that.

Maryse and Miz vs Beth Phoenix and Edge was the match of the night, which kind of says it all.

Yeah, I probably exaggerated on that lol

And ya the Maryse/Miz VS Beth/Edge match was a highlight for me too (though like you mentioned, that wasnt saying much).

I guess the next major PPV event will be the Crown Jewel Elimination chamber event. Wonder how they'll screw that one up.

Well, by having it in Saudi Arabia for one thing. I don't know if I'm 100% against that, but it puts a cloud over the whole thing. 

I'm guessing they'll have a chamber match to see who faces Charlotte (or Becky although I think Rousey vs Lynch makes more sense), and for who faces Lashley. Could be good. I think Lesnar v. Reigns is the match that has to happen at Mania and Becky vs  Rousey could be good if they go that way, which makes more sense than Charlotte vs Rousey. Hopefully they'll use the other two matches to get some newer faces big moments.

Again though, this left a bad taste in my mouth.Hopefully next show is better.