By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4Pro: Secret Sauce Confirmed

GribbleGrunger said:
Lrdfancypants said:

I can't see my sig. What's it doing?  Hopefully it speaks highly of me.  

It's just a bold blackline downstrike and annoying as hell!

Ok, I'll keep looking for it. 

I never was good at hide and seek. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
So the secret sauce actually turned to be true? Lol, Sony really isn't letting the haters enjoy their time this gen

It's fun when something I post ironically turns out to be a reality.

The PS5 Exists. 

BraLoD said:
GribbleGrunger said:

It's fun when something I post ironically turns out to be a reality.

I was even laughing on people making fun once again on a secret sauce, then it's actually true.
Sony is no fun.

I don't understand. Won't sauce damage electronics?

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

BraLoD said:

I was even laughing on people making fun once again on a secret sauce, then it's actually true.
Sony is no fun.

Well, to be fair, we knew the GPU had modifications but it was largely forgotten. I added 'secret' to the last thread I started because I knew it would resonate with people who would understand it as in inside joke. But the ironic thing was that it wasn't a 'joke' and now I get to post the follow up, which makes it a double irony!

The PS5 Exists. 

Lrdfancypants said:

I don't understand. Won't sauce damage electronics?

Oh, man, that is so GODDAMN brilliant.

Yes, that's the glitch.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Mafioso said:

Here comes the evangelism. All praise Mother Sony for an AMD feature that surely fans will make out to be some Sony master sauce creation.

The real question is how useful it would be seeing memory bandwidth and other areas of the system hasn't changed much And You Are ultimately shader limited. Not much . No, this doesn't the GPU twice as powerful.

Seriously, what is the problem? I don't see anyone saying this makes the PS4pro GPU twice as powerful. It seems to me that ANY positive PS4 news upsets a certain demographic on this site.

You noticed!

SWORDF1SH said:

You noticed!

It's getting quite ridiculous but what can you do? Laughing about it is the only thing really.

The PS5 Exists. 

"The only casualty in the move to 4K comes from the omission of anti-aliasing - you get 2x MSAA on the base PlayStation 4, while the rich pixel density and post-processing means that it isn't really required at all at 4K."

"On paper though, the technical accomplishment here is impressive. VooFoo has quadrupled resolution over the base PS4 version, and it has done this using a GPU that only has 2.3x the compute power of the older hardware and only 25 per cent more memory bandwidth. Either the base PS4 is being significantly underutilised (in which case we would expect an improvement on its 2x MSAA) or there's something more going on behind the scenes."

My money is on underutilised instead of secret sauce. The game doesn't look as demanding as other 60fps PS4 games and the game engine is optimized for mobile devices. 

So if it only uses/needs 50% of the PS4 power for 60 fps in 1920x1080 (with MSAA off), there is no secret sauce needed to get to 60 fps in 3840x2160 on the PS4 Pro... it is normal GPU scaling.

Turkish said:
globalisateur said:
It's a feature also available on the RX 480

Mafioso said:

Here comes the evangelism. All praise Mother Sony for an AMD feature that surely fans will make out to be some Sony master sauce creation.

The real question is how useful it would be seeing memory bandwidth and other areas of the system hasn't changed much And You Are ultimately shader limited. Not much . No, this doesn't the GPU twice as powerful.

Eurogamer literally says the features are not available on AMD GPUs

"the new instructions certainly support Mark Cerny's assertion that the PS4 Pro possesses graphics features not found in AMD's current Polaris line of GPUs"

Eurogamer didn't say that FP16 was the new stuff in Pro not available in Polaris. FP16 is available on Polaris:

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-polaris-10-full-slide-deck-leak/

Conina said:

"The only casualty in the move to 4K comes from the omission of anti-aliasing - you get 2x MSAA on the base PlayStation 4, while the rich pixel density and post-processing means that it isn't really required at all at 4K."

"On paper though, the technical accomplishment here is impressive. VooFoo has quadrupled resolution over the base PS4 version, and it has done this using a GPU that only has 2.3x the compute power of the older hardware and only 25 per cent more memory bandwidth. Either the base PS4 is being significantly underutilised (in which case we would expect an improvement on its 2x MSAA) or there's something more going on behind the scenes."

My money is on underutilised instead of secret sauce. The game doesn't look as demanding as other 60fps PS4 games and the game engine is optimized for mobile devices. 

So if it only uses/needs 50% of the PS4 power for 60 fps in 1920x1080 (with MSAA off), there is no secret sauce needed to get to 60 fps in 3840x2160 on the PS4 Pro... it is normal GPU scaling.

No. All Pro games we have seen until now show us that 2.3x more GPU is roughly enough to to 2x more pixels, not 4x (because you also need bigger resolution texture and higher resolution effects etc).

If it was underused on the base PS4 they would have used 4xMSAA and not 2xMSAA.