By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
CosmicSex said:
he says that myopia is at 40% now due to smart phones... but good luck trying to get those banned. Anyway, I don't buy it at all. Sony says its only for ages 12+ and thats fine. Not for small kids and not for like 8 hour runs.

He references a rat experiment where the where in the 'VR Environment' (what the fuck does that acutally mean anyway) and part of their brains shut down. This is actually a testament to how immersive this tech is. It means that while in this environment, you brain isn't receiving outside stimulus.

He goes on to say that this is probably fear mongering /thread

There is an Oculus Rift for rats ? Wow how did they manage to shrink it down like that ? Does it also have tiny headphones and a tiny xbox controller ? Or did they solve the locomotion control some other way ?

Around the Network

Yeah okay... this seems like its just fear mongering right? by someone with a anti sony agenda?

Normchacho said:
Instead of just guessing, why don't we actually do some research.

This is what the professor of Optometry at UC Berkley had to say about it.

Nearsightedness, or myopia, is where close objects appear clear, but objects far away look blurry. It has been on the increase in recent years. One study in the U.S. found that nearsightedness in those from age 12 to 54 rose from 25 percent in 1971-1972 to 41.6 percent in 1999-2004. There’s a lot of evidence linking this trend to near work, such as reading or using a computer.

The damage occurs when a child focuses on something near for long periods of time, so it’s understandable that some may fear VR headsets will add to the problem. The screen is just two inches from the user’s eyes. But the technology is more complex than that.

“Let’s contrast a kid using a VR headset compared to a kid using a smartphone. When they use the smartphone they typically hold it very close to them and so they have to focus their eye close,” explains Prof. Banks. “You might think that with the VR headset they’d have to do the same thing because the image is close to the eye, but [VR headsets] have optics in the setup that make the stimulus effectively far away, so, in terms of where the eye has to focus, you have to actually focus fairly far away to sharpen the image in the headset.”

So VR should be less damaging to the eyes than reading or using a Smartphone. It even goes on to explain later in the article that VR could be used to diagnose or even treat certain eye problems.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/is-vr-safe-for-kids-we-asked-the-experts/amp/

^ this basically proves it.

Netyaroze said:
CosmicSex said:
he says that myopia is at 40% now due to smart phones... but good luck trying to get those banned. Anyway, I don't buy it at all. Sony says its only for ages 12+ and thats fine. Not for small kids and not for like 8 hour runs.

He references a rat experiment where the where in the 'VR Environment' (what the fuck does that acutally mean anyway) and part of their brains shut down. This is actually a testament to how immersive this tech is. It means that while in this environment, you brain isn't receiving outside stimulus.

He goes on to say that this is probably fear mongering /thread

There is an Oculus Rift for rats ? Wow how did they manage to shrink it down like that ? Does it also have tiny headphones and a tiny xbox controller ? Or did they solve the locomotion control some other way ?

lol

Normchacho said:
aLkaLiNE said:

This differs from televisions, PC monitors or cell phones how?

The difference is that VR is probably better for your eyes. 

You actually believe VR is better for your eyes? I can barely play my 3DS with 3D on without getting dizzy and my eyes start stressing.

The thing your failing to understand is that VR isnt just straining on your eyes, it also doesnt seem good for your brain. If you enjoy playing games for short periods of time than go for it. Iv heard doctors say VR is bad and iv heard doctors say VR is fine. The point is you only have 1 set of eyes that once damaged your in for a good life and your brain, well i dont need to tell you how important that is to you.

I wont be buying VR on the base of many reasons not just health, and im a huge Valve fan. No thanks, im not going to play a guinea pig. I am just pointing out some issues that many people will probably bypass. Hype and marketing can make people buy anything without taking in the the concerns and future issues.

JRPGfan said:

Yeah okay... this seems like its just fear mongering right? by someone with a anti sony agenda?

Normchacho said:
Instead of just guessing, why don't we actually do some research.

This is what the professor of Optometry at UC Berkley had to say about it.

Nearsightedness, or myopia, is where close objects appear clear, but objects far away look blurry. It has been on the increase in recent years. One study in the U.S. found that nearsightedness in those from age 12 to 54 rose from 25 percent in 1971-1972 to 41.6 percent in 1999-2004. There’s a lot of evidence linking this trend to near work, such as reading or using a computer.

The damage occurs when a child focuses on something near for long periods of time, so it’s understandable that some may fear VR headsets will add to the problem. The screen is just two inches from the user’s eyes. But the technology is more complex than that.

“Let’s contrast a kid using a VR headset compared to a kid using a smartphone. When they use the smartphone they typically hold it very close to them and so they have to focus their eye close,” explains Prof. Banks. “You might think that with the VR headset they’d have to do the same thing because the image is close to the eye, but [VR headsets] have optics in the setup that make the stimulus effectively far away, so, in terms of where the eye has to focus, you have to actually focus fairly far away to sharpen the image in the headset.”

So VR should be less damaging to the eyes than reading or using a Smartphone. It even goes on to explain later in the article that VR could be used to diagnose or even treat certain eye problems.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/is-vr-safe-for-kids-we-asked-the-experts/amp/

Say what you want mate, i didnt make this clip and i am not Red Dragon who is actaully a PC gamer.

Azzanation said:
Normchacho said:

The difference is that VR is probably better for your eyes. 

You actually believe VR is better for your eyes? I can barely play my 3DS with 3D on without getting dizzy and my eyes start stressing.

The thing your failing to understand is that VR isnt just straining on your eyes, it also doesnt seem good for your brain. If you enjoy playing games for short periods of time than go for it. Iv heard doctors say VR is bad and iv heard doctors say VR is fine. The point is you only have 1 set of eyes that once damaged your in for a good life and your brain, well i dont need to tell you how important that is to you.

I wont be buying VR on the base of many reasons not just health, and im a huge Valve fan. No thanks, im not going to play a guinea pig. I am just pointing out some issues that many people will probably bypass. Hype and marketing can make people buy anything without taking in the the concerns and future issues.

JRPGfan said:

Say what you want mate, i didnt make this clip and i am not Red Dragon who is actaully a PC gamer.

Two totally different technologies that work in two totally seperate ways. The 3DS uses a parallax barrier, which simply blocks certain parts of the image from getting to your right or left eye (think of those pictures where the image changes as you move it from left to right). VR uses actual Stereopsis, which is the way our eyes naturally see 3D images. To suggest that VR will cause eye damage because the 3DS can give people headaches would be like suggesting that looking at things in the real world is bad for your eyes.

Here's a good piece about how VR could effect your eyes

https://www.quora.com/How-bad-are-Virtual-Reality-headsets-for-your-eyes

The top answer has a great breakdown of what could be damaging to your eyes and how severley VR suffers from these issues. The overall answer is that while VR headsets aren't great for your eyes, they aren't as bad as say...a smartphone. Lens distortion seems to be the biggest concern, because your eyes try to correct the distortion and that can cause eye strain. But overall they aren't any more harmful for your eyes than any other consumer electronic we've been staring at for the last 30+ years.

Which I assume is why you don't own a smartphone and never watch TV up close or with the lights off, right? Oh, better stop using your computer too, being that close to a bright display for so long is way worse for your eyes than VR.

As far as VRs effect on the brain, do you mean things like this?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/11/12443026/virtual-reality-exoskeleton-paraplegic-oculus-rift

Becuase I've never seen any evidence to suggest that VR would be bad for your brain.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
vivster said:
Luckily my eyes are already basically dead.

lol

Could you elaborate?

Well, according to this forum they have some serious problem seeing the greatness of consoles.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If you use it 8 hours a day you probably have to adjust a bit to normal accommodation and convergence again instead of ignoring stereographic distance cues and always focusing in the distance. I doubt that will take longer than adjusting to a sudden increase in brightness.

Staring at stereograms, making my own software to create them including a 3D interactive landscape to fly through magic carpet style only enhanced my ability to see stereograms everywhere, even just looking at a keyboard. My eyes still work fine, apart from wearing glasses since I was 6.

Normchacho said:
Azzanation said:

Two totally different technologies that work in two totally seperate ways. The 3DS uses a parallax barrier, which simply blocks certain parts of the image from getting to your right or left eye (think of those pictures where the image changes as you move it from left to right). VR uses actual Stereopsis, which is the way our eyes naturally see 3D images. To suggest that VR will cause eye damage because the 3DS can give people headaches would be like suggesting that looking at things in the real world is bad for your eyes.

Here's a good piece about how VR could effect your eyes

https://www.quora.com/How-bad-are-Virtual-Reality-headsets-for-your-eyes

The top answer has a great breakdown of what could be damaging to your eyes and how severley VR suffers from these issues. The overall answer is that while VR headsets aren't great for your eyes, they aren't as bad as say...a smartphone. Lens distortion seems to be the biggest concern, because your eyes try to correct the distortion and that can cause eye strain. But overall they aren't any more harmful for your eyes than any other consumer electronic we've been staring at for the last 30+ years.

Which I assume is why you don't own a smartphone and never watch TV up close or with the lights off, right? Oh, better stop using your computer too, being that close to a bright display for so long is way worse for your eyes than VR.

As far as VRs effect on the brain, do you mean things like this?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/11/12443026/virtual-reality-exoskeleton-paraplegic-oculus-rift

Becuase I've never seen any evidence to suggest that VR would be bad for your brain.

Fair points however I don’t see staring into a screen 2inches from your eyes be a good thing neither is stopping your eyes from blinking. It seems to be getting mixed results online where some doctors claim it’s not good for you and some claim its ok for you. I don’t think we have studies of using VR for years and the after effects and I don’t really want to play the Guinea pig for these new devices. I know VR is an old idea however these VR devices are new and I don’t want to play the risking game on them. For the price its being sold at all the warning labels on it, it’s personally not worth the risk for me. I wish Valve spent their money on making Half Life 3 instead of Vive.

I also game for long periods of time, I’m not a casual gamer who plays in short bursts.

I brought up the 3DS as an example of new tech and what it can do to you. A lot of people complained about getting dizzy afterwards and we didn’t find out until after we dropped out dollars on it. I see VR being no different and shouldn’t just slide of the hook because it’s Valve, Sony and Microsoft behind it. I’ll wait a couple years and see how people are once actual studies are done on the average customer.

It’s just me. If VR suits you than go all in. It’s clearly not for me.

You only have one set of eyes, use them wisely.