By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PSA : SSD users, if you don't use hibernation, reclaim your SSD space by using this command

Captain_Yuri said:
vivster said:
I'm in a position where I have too much SSD space but only 32 gigs of RAM. Is there a way to increase the size of my file?

Delete System 32. It has tons of processes that are just resource hogs. Most aren't really important anyway

So I tried this but now my computer won't turn on, what do I do??

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Delete System 32. It has tons of processes that are just resource hogs. Most aren't really important anyway

Wire $100 to my paypal account followed by fapping and it will fix itself.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

sethnintendo said:

What is the difference between hibernation and sleep? I don't leave my PC running when I'm not using it. I even have sleep mode disabled.  I know I could easily look it up but perhaps others that visit this thread don't know the difference either.

Hi. Sleep mode keeps the system on, but in a low power suspended state. If the power is cut, it loses the suspended state. With hibernation, the entire session is written to the drive with the hiberfil.sys file. This lets the PC be fully powered down, and turned back on later to the same state, even if a long time has passed. A while back, sleep mode was notoriously flaky and not very efficient, but has seen huge improvements both in hardware design as well as operating system implementation, which leaves little useful need for hibernation with most users. Disable the hibernation, and you gain the equal amount of disk space of your amount of RAM.

Captain_Yuri said:
ktay95 said:

This sounds like a scam... is this a scam??

If not what's your PayPal??

ktay95 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

madarchod69@hotmale.com

He helped me, you can trust him.

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Would a random internet stranger whom you never met try to scam you? I believe not!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JRPGfan said:
vivster said:
I'm in a position where I have too much SSD space but only 32 gigs of RAM. Is there a way to increase the size of my file?

It only takes as much space as it needs to serve the funktion, anymore wouldnt give any benefit.

And the benefit of hibernation as it is, isnt even worth the use of it (imo).

If you mean your page file? then yes there is.

system properties -> advanced tab -> performance settings -> virtual memory pool "change button".

Set it to whatever you want.

At 32gb of ram increasing a page file would be the most reduntant thing to ever consider doing on a PC I think, literally would be the last thing he could ever want to do realistically, all you really need with any mid range PC now is to leave a small page file just for legacy programs which insist on dumping some of their code there.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Arkaign said:
vivster said:

Is this a troll lol. Hibernation is nearly useless, and a larger one wouldn't do it any better haha.

So you say I'm stuck with too much space? I have 256 Gigs for my OS but I really only need 100 because my games and downloads go on different disks.

Maybe I should sell my PC and buy one with a smaller harddrive to make use of this cool trick?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JRPGfan said:

Even if your not a SSD user, you should use that command, imo. hibernation is meh, turn it off instead.

I also think you should get 8-16gb ram, and turn off the page file.

Even if you had 64Gb of Ram it is never recommended to turn off the page file.

Some programs will use the Page-File as a "scratch disk" regardless of how much Ram you have and some legacy programs/games require it to even function.

With that said, you can reduce your page file so it only takes up a couple of Gigabytes.

Disabling System Restore, Limiting your Recycle Bin's maximum size, Disk Cleanup after an update and using CCleaner can save a ton of space on your SSD as well.

You can also use a program called "Tree Size" to see where all your drive space is being used.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--