By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I just played the Horizon Zero Dawn demo

I went to EGX today. Even though I just spent a few hours in the afternoon, I managed to play all the games I wanted. After playing Yooka Laylees, I went to queue to play Horizon. But I couldn't work it out how to join the queue. Feeling really stupid I asked an elderly lady who was wearing a PS t-shirt what I needed to do to play the game. She said that there was one spot available, and she just let me in. No queue, nothing . There was a 15 minutes presentation in which according to Sony we were shown a trailer that hasn't been released yet . After that I played the demo for 15 minutes. The game is just gorgeous. It's so pretty. I'm really really excited now. My friend couldn't believe that I managed to play the game, when he went there to book a slot, everything had already been booked for the day. I also managed to play 30 minutes of Final Fantasy XV, Disonoured 2 and Little Nightmares. All great games. Today was a really good day. If you're not hyped about Horizon ZD, you should be. 

Update :

Sorry guys, I wrote this OP almost 01AM, so I was kinda sleepy. By no means the only quality of Horizon is the Graphics. The game seems to be running smothly, the controls are renponsive and intuitive. It's a lot easier to pin down the machines in order to hack them than I expected. WIth that said, the gameplay has element of every other big open world game that we are so used to.  You can collect parts of the machines you kill to craft items; you kill animals to eat; when you enter a patch of tall grass, you character crouch to hide; and when you mount the machine, it controls pretty much like a Zelda game when Link rides Epona.

I really had fun playing the demo. But when I saw the gameplay demonstration on a big HDR TV, it was so impressive. The Sony guy even pointed out that the game was running on a standart PS4, and that it would look even better on the PS4 Pro. That's why I just wrote about the graphics. 

Games such as Final Fantasy and Little Nightmares that have gameplays that are so different from the norm are easier to talk about after playing for 30 minutes.  I've never played a Final Fantasy like FFXV before. Hell, I don't think that there is a game that plays like FFXV. It's like if Monster Hunter, Final fantasy and a Visual Kei band decided to have a baby. The combat is very fast paced, but with a lot of depth. You use the d-pad to select 4 diferrent weapons and/or spells on the go. I had three different type of swords allocated there, which of them were effetive against a different type of monster. When you hold R1, the d-pad is used to activate you party members abilty. When running out of MP, you need to run/hide until you recover, then charge again. It truly felt like hunting on Monster Hunter, but the combat is alot more chaotic (That's good, not bad). I really like the similarities between both games. 

The part of demo I played I had to accepet requests to kill monsters in the desert  in order to pay for the repair of my car. When I finally managed to get it repaired and had the option to take it for a ride, someone tap my shoulder to say that my time was up.   

I enjoyed both FFXV and Horizon. However if I had to write about them after playing for such short period of time, I would talk about different aspects of the games. The ones that caused a big impression.  That doesn't mean that one game is better than the other, or that graphics are more important than gameplay.  I hope that clarifies. 

Around the Network
danielrdp said:

I went to EGX today. Even though I just spent a few hours in the afternoon, I managed to play all the games I wanted. After playing Yooka Laylees, I went to queue to play Horizon. But I couldn't work it out how to join the queue. Feeling really stupid I asked an elderly lady who was wearing a PS t-shirt what I needed to do to play the game. She said that there was one spot available, and she just let me in. No queue, nothing . There was a 15 minutes presentation in which according to Sony we were shown a trailer that hasn't been released yet . After that I played the demo for 15 minutes. The game is just gorgeous. It's so pretty. I'm really really excited now. My friend couldn't believe that I managed to play the game, when he went there to book a slot, everything had already been booked for the day. I also managed to play 30 minutes of Final Fantasy XV, Disonoured 2 and Little Nightmares. All great games. Today was a really good day. If you're not hyped about Horizon ZD, you should be. 

Could you be a bit more spesific for us who dont enjoy games purely based on how it looks?

All right OP, I'm jelly, but I also wouldn't mind a bit more descriptiveness. How was the gameplay? Does Aloy control smoothly? Is the combat fun? I also wouldn't mind some impressions of FFXV.  Sounds like you had an awesome day, though. 

Is always a great sign when people plays a game and the only thing that impress them enough to talk about it are the graphics.

As if the videos and pictures weren't enough to have already clear that the game is pretty.

Does she have metal hands? Cuz dat rope burn..

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
KLXVER said:
danielrdp said:

Could you be a bit more spesific for us who dont enjoy games purely based on how it looks?

Realistically, there's no way to really take much away from only 15 minutes with a demo. The graphics are naturally gonna leave the biggest impression, because you didn't have enough time to actually familiarize yourself with the mechanics.

Trunkin said:
KLXVER said:

Realistically, there's no way to really take much away from only 15 minutes with a demo. The graphics are naturally gonna leave the biggest impression, because you didn't have enough time to actually familiarize yourself with the mechanics.

Doesnt change the fact that he told us to be excited about the game based on the graphics alone.

KLXVER said:
Trunkin said:

Doesnt change the fact that he told us to be excited about the game based on the graphics alone.

Or maybe his recommendation is based on all factors of the game but he decided to just say the most impressive thing to keep it concise?

I mean what do you want to know? It's an open world game. You run around using analog sticks. There is a map and you can do and look at stuff. Apparently the gameplay was polished enough to not lose any unnecessary words about it. How big of a gameplay impression would you get from a 50h open world game within 15 minutes?

For example: Just Cause 3 has great gameplay for 15 minutes and then it sucks.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Slightly jelly...

Then talks nothing about the gameplay or core mechanics eg controls....