By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is important to you in a Fighting game?

What is important to you in a fighting game? What makes you choose your current favorite fighter over others if you have one? If CAPCOM or SNK or NAMCO BANDAI announced that the next installment to their popular fighting Ip's would receive only one version - No DLC, No updates, just one full package that they plan to sell for the rest of that generation or at least untill the next installment. What features do you expect outof that package?

A second Question:

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being casual friendly and 10 being very technical,deep and strict, where do you stand in regards to learning curve of a fighting game? Some people believe that fighting game's have gotten to technical and require too much time and energy to be able to enjoy especially if you're jumping into a series that has been going for some time, while others enjoy that kind of climb.

Around the Network

The best feature of the game I'd want to be playing would be the title screen, as long as it reads "Ultra Street Fighter 4" or "Super Smash Brothers Melee" I'm fairly sure I would be perfectly happy with that package!

On the scale of 1-10 I'm somewhere in the middle maybe more towards the more technical end of things, I love being able to pull off Blanka's ultra 1 after >+KKK through someone (keeping the charge during the hop and on the change of direction) in USF4 but I am not a huge fan of wave dashing fests of Smash Bros Melee.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Chaotic fun like in Smash Brothers.

A big learning curve and a good skill gap, this two are as importan as gameplay and smoothness of the movement.

Characters I want to play. I didn't get SF5 because there's no T Hawk or E Honda. I'm fine with USF4 until then.

I also didn't buy Smash because it has no Toad in it. But I finally relented when Bayonetta was announced.

Around the Network

Really, that control isn't taken away from me for long periods of time.

A solid story mode that makes sense and sets the stage well.

And that the gimmicks are reasonably intuitive.

over 25 characters
very fun to play- don't need to be a pro to enjoy
Have the words "Street Fighter" or "Smash Bros" in the title

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Nothing in particular. If they are really releasing full package, I expect quality.

And I am perfectly happy as it doesn't go all in into 1~2 or 9~10 range. Although, at the moment, I don't expect I will play any fighting game other than King of Fighters.

Xxain said:

What is important to you in a fighting game? What makes you choose your current favorite fighter over others if you have one? If CAPCOM or SNK or NAMCO BANDAI announced that the next installment to their popular fighting Ip's would receive only one version - No DLC, No updates, just one full package that they plan to sell for the rest of that generation or at least untill the next installment. What features do you expect outof that package?

A second Question:

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being casual friendly and 10 being very technical,deep and strict, where do you stand in regards to learning curve of a fighting game? Some people believe that fighting game's have gotten to technical and require too much time and energy to be able to enjoy especially if you're jumping into a series that has been going for some time, while others enjoy that kind of climb.

What is important to you in a fighting game?

Its easy to approach, and fun to learn the battle system with. This typically means, good story mode, and solid training mode.

Once thats done, there need to be local multiplayer, a solid online ranking system.

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being casual friendly and 10 being very technical,deep and strict, where do you stand in regards to learning curve of a fighting game?

around 5-6.

That its called Tekken.

Seriously though...

I believe everyone that plays fighting games, whether they know it or not; have a natural flow to how they play. Some are defensive, some are offensive some are cheap (This is a legitimate fighting strategy) some are spammers. Now whatever the players inclination said player will gravitate to the character(s) that best compliments their natural play style.

Now I'm a defensive type, so in a game like Tekken, I'll gravitate towards a character like Paul. Cause he has punishers that deal a lot of damage since I'll usually always start an attack from a defensive position.

As for technicality in fighting games, well..... fighting games have never been simple. I feel that the problem with them today is that they have too many characters. With so much to choose from its harder for a player to find that character that best compliments his/her play style. But they are there.

Fighting games happen to be my favorite genre (even though I'm really only interested in tekken). I just feel that of all the fenders out there they are the purest form of gaming. You literally train at it, you get better, polish ur reflexes to a fine point and cast your lot against the world. It doesn't get better than that.

And as for what feature I would want them to ship their ultimate game with? Versus mode (local and online) training mode and a new mode called wagering mode. i don't care about story mode or any other filler they can put in the game.

A lack of wagering mode (which will just be a part of online play) is something i feel fighting games just need to have.

Imagine setting up a lobby with a three losses and you are eliminated type rule and with a $5 real money buy in. Winner takes all type thing. Or having sponsored lobbies on a weekly basis. The Nike trophy, where there will be a free to enter lobby created with a cash prize of like $1000 at the end of it. And while the contestants are in the character and stage select screens everyone else watching would be seeing video ads streamed to them. And you can select feed of which fighters you want to watch.

Shit like that would revolutionize the genre. And fighting games is the only genre that can effectively pull off something like that.