By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files For Another Projector Patent (Uneven Surfaces This Time)

Emily Rogers apparently posted this two days ago:

Toshiba, Megachips, and Macronix are all involved with the Nintendo NX.

Megachips is the co-assignee of this patent (per Serenitynow on NeoGaf).

For the record I think Toshiba is providing the internal flash memory for NX, and Macronix would be supplying the cartridges.

So Megachips is the projector provider?

I dunno if this is a great idea to be honest, I can't see myself using it a lot. It's one of those things that sounds neat when you first hear it but when you think about it certain red flags start popping up. It would also probably be very poor resolution. This would also probably make the system $50 more expensive. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Emily Rogers apparently posted this two days ago:

Toshiba, Megachips, and Macronix are all involved with the Nintendo NX.

Megachips is the co-assignee of this patent (per Serenitynow on NeoGaf).

For the record I think Toshiba is providing the internal flash memory for NX, and Macronix would be supplying the cartridges.

So Megachips is the projector provider?

I dunno if this is a great idea to be honest, I can't see myself using it a lot. It's one of those things that sounds neat when you first hear it but when you think about it certain red flags start popping up. It would also probably be very poor resolution. This would also probably make the system $50 more expensive. 

For $50 extra you won't get much of a projector, unless you believe the blatant lies some of these pico projector sellers are using. Plus indeed the cheap ones have 320x240 resolution and are best suited to 10" - 20" screens. Which doesn't stop them from advertising this

Reality (from a user review)

They usually disappear and pop up again somewhere else, never any real model number or brand or anything. $50 pico projectors are a scam.

I have the AAXA LED ($114 now), fun toy, 960x540, useable to 30-40" or so in a darker room. Picture quality is bad but for the size and price it's still a neat toy. My wife uses it to project pictures onto canvas for painting, which is what most of these picor projectors are good for. I would never use it to game on.

Most are missing the point of the projector. It's not to display a beautiful HD image of the game, it's an interface. IE, imagine a keyboard projected on a table that you can type on. But something more Nintendo-y and fun.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Most are missing the point of the projector. It's not to display a beautiful HD image of the game, it's an interface. IE, imagine a keyboard projected on a table that you can type on. But something more Nintendo-y and fun.

Hmm, good point. That would explain the patent better. If so, they can get away with having a proper, but basic and cheap projection version. Maybe the price will not be too high afterall.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

That's pretty neat, though I would be using the TV as a screen, rather than a projector

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Platina said:
That's pretty neat, though I would be using the TV as a screen, rather than a projector

Perhaps an option to have the capability project the handheld portion without having to purchase a dock for the home console.

Although, typing this made me realize how that could go against them.

It would be interesting to see if it's interactive like this:

http://youtu.be/9J7GpVQCfms

lynksseus said:
Platina said:

Perhaps an option to have the capability project the handheld portion without having to purchase a dock for the home console.

Although, typing this made me realize how that could go against them.

It would be interesting to see if it's interactive like this:

http://youtu.be/9J7GpVQCfms

If this was indeed on the handheld, it would have to be a separate attachment, as if you move your hands when pressing buttons, the whole screen would move

Could work, but will have to wait and see what the official reveal would be

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Won't be built-in. See Moto Z and it's mods to see what NX could do.

TheLastStarFighter said:

Oh! That would make more sense. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Oh! That would make more sense. 

So, you turn on this projector. And aim the handheld onto the table. Or put it down, to type stuff out. Why not jsut use the the handheld you're already holding? If it's just to display your image. Good luck holding still, for other people.

Jranation said:
Soundwave said:

I'm kinda mixed on this. With TVs being so cheap these days and many households having multiple TVs, it kinda seems like a solution in search of a problem, sort of like the Wii U tablet was. 

That said, sure in a pinch I guess it could be useful and yes it could promote "social gaming". It could also drive teachers at school bat shit insane with kids projecting images onto schoolyard walls at reccess. 

On the other hand, I'm not sure if a portable console + detachable controllers + LCD screen + built-in projector can all be put together in one box for under $250. 

Could be looking at $299.99 for this thing. 

Somehow that reminds me of Pokemon Go........ XD Imagine people doing that on the streets! I also wonder how the battery life would be. It will probably recommend to play near a power point..... which does restrict stuff but provide safety from people playing anywhere. 

Outside projecting wouldn't work right. Daylight would screw any good use out of this.