By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4pro: Digital Foundry Hands On (Looking Good)

The Pro's value is amazing for 400$.

But i wish Sony used the power for more FPS instead of a higher resolution.

Why rush 4k, everything still looks amazing in 1080p, i'd honestly love a locked 60fps 1080p standard for gen 9 instead of "4K" 30fps.

If consoles stay at 30fps next gen i will probably build a high end PC and just use the PS5 for exclusives.

Around the Network

PS4 Pro has a giant bottleneck. When will they talk about that? Also XOne S upscales games to 4k too.

Pemalite said:

The CPU shouldn't be holding anything back though in a console, it's a fixed quanitity, it's not like the game will demand twice the CPU resources that are not available, which limits framerates.

But it can, it does and it probably will continue to. Yes there are fixed tasks that a CPU does in a game engine. Let'ssay the mist important part of that to rez are draw calls. Physics and so tasks can actually run at a lower frame count than its draw calls to the GPU.

But if say the cpu uses 20% of its power to manage draw calls at 30fps, it would need to double that to manage draw calls at 60fps. there is just no way around that. it's calling up a scene twice as fast. 

Now I don't know exactly how much of the CPU in a console handles draw calls, but I do know that as far as frame rates go, it's one of the biggest limiters cause physics and AI can be calculated at a different fps as long as it's fixed. draw calls and animation, sound....etc will have to go in sync with whatever framerate the gpu is set to hit tho. 

Uabit said:
PS4 Pro has a giant bottleneck. When will they talk about that? Also XOne S upscales games to 4k too.

What is this bottle neck?

and as for ur xbox comment..... i dont even know where to start. So instead I'll just say; yes you are right. wonder why Sony bothered making a more powerful box. being that the original PS4 is still about 40 percent more powerful than the XB1s andyet the xb1s can handle 4k. 

Uabit said:

Albert Penello would be proud of you.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Pemalite said:

The CPU shouldn't be holding anything back though in a console, it's a fixed quanitity, it's not like the game will demand twice the CPU resources that are not available, which limits framerates.

But it can, it does and it probably will continue to. Yes there are fixed tasks that a CPU does in a game engine. Let'ssay the mist important part of that to rez are draw calls. Physics and so tasks can actually run at a lower frame count than its draw calls to the GPU.

But if say the cpu uses 20% of its power to manage draw calls at 30fps, it would need to double that to manage draw calls at 60fps. there is just no way around that. it's calling up a scene twice as fast. 

Then let's be honest. It's the developer at fault here.
If you only have 4 slices of cheese and promise a slice to all 5 children, you don't make that promise do you?

Besides, a bottleneck for one game is not a bottleneck for another game, all games have different requirements, those requirements can change depending on the scene/level/match.
For example, in any RTS game, the CPU load is always minimal/non-existent at the start of a match, the load then leans heavily in favour of the GPU... However as the match progress's and there are hundreds of units on screen, then that load will shift to being CPU bound.

Some games require minimal use of the CPU, some require more, but the fact is, if a developer is building a game that is pushing the originional vision of the game past the hardware's capabilities and thus compromising the experience, then they are at fault.

Intrinsic said:
Now I don't know exactly how much of the CPU in a console handles draw calls, but I do know that as far as frame rates go, it's one of the biggest limiters cause physics and AI can be calculated at a different fps as long as it's fixed. draw calls and animation, sound....etc will have to go in sync with whatever framerate the gpu is set to hit tho.

It's a significant amount, but not as much as you think. It really depends what API the developer is using.. And contrary to popular belief, the consoles have multiple API's that they can use.

As for animation and sound and such, they aren't tied to the framerate, well. Not always, it's a choice the developer makes.

For example in Halo 5, despite the game running at 60fps, if you watch the animation of various objects (I.E. Animated textures) and the spartans in the distance, the framerate is more like 10fps for those objects.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Quite good indeed. Hope to hear more Pro news considering the early returns look good so far.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay