By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Iphone 7 is the biggest joke I have ever seen, cost as much as two PS4 Pros, no headphone-jack

It just feel like old technology..

Apple is facing accusations that it copied Chinese innovations in the iPhone 7. Indeed, China’s smartphone manufacturers released dual-camera systems and handsets without headphone jacks long before Apple did. And the stickers and animations that Apple is adding to iMessage look like a direct knockoff from China’s WeChat. This is quite a twist from the days when Apple accused the Chinese of copying its inventions. The reality is that America’s most innovative company is no longer the world’s most innovative company.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
torok said:

Well, we can't really compare the slight problem of needing the packed-in adaptor to use your phone with a situation where the device is exploding in people's hands, pockets, hurting little kids, being forbidden on planes. One is an engineering decision, other is the lack of competence from engineers. I'm surprised that people still want this phone instead of their money back. It's a badly designed crap, there's no other way to put it.

Well... It actually wasn't the Note 7 that exploded on that kid's hand. It was something else I believe. But the removable of the headphone jack is nonsense and it is a more of an inconvience for a longer period of time than the Note 7 Situation. Yes those batteries were badly engineered hence why Samsung is replacing the phones with batteries that don't suck. The phone itself isn't badly enginnered and its Camera even beats the iphone 7's camera in virtually all comparisons.

No one is denying the Note 7 isn't a disaster but it is a disaster that will be replaced soon enough. What won't is the lack of a headphone jack. Yes you get an adapter but it is an incovience for the life of the device. You can't charge it while listening to music and considering it effectively requires you to unplug and replug when you want to listen/charge, it will decrease the amount of times the port will allow you to plug and unplug before it dies. So essentially, it cuts the life of the port by a lot since there is always a certain amount of times you can unplug/plug a connection into a port. Oh and of course, people will lose the adapter since it is so tiny and will have to get replacement ones. On top of that, Apple will require companies to get a license license for lighting port in order to make wired headphones to work with the iphone 7 which will increase the price of the wired headphones if you want to use the lighting port.

It's a nuisance, but who hell sits stationary listening to music while their phone is tethered to a wall jack? Like what is this? 1986? To be honest this issue is hugely overblown. 

iPhone 7 is a good phone. I have a Galaxy S7 Edge, which is basically the only phone that really can compete head to head with it, and the iPhone 7 has several advantages. Android phones may have better specs on paper, but they rarely perform better than Apple phones in actual usage. Apple makes killer mobile chips and really tunes to the metal, whereas Android phones often are drowned in bloatware shit. 

Googled it and yeah as expected:

iPhone 7 *crushes* Samsung's Note 7 when benchmarked (and it won't explode either, lol):

http://bgr.com/2016/09/19/iphone-7-vs-note-7-specs-speed-test-video/

PS4 pro is a joke too seen from the eyes of PC gamers and there's still people who are gonna buy it so...

Captain_Yuri said:
torok said:

Well, we can't really compare the slight problem of needing the packed-in adaptor to use your phone with a situation where the device is exploding in people's hands, pockets, hurting little kids, being forbidden on planes. One is an engineering decision, other is the lack of competence from engineers. I'm surprised that people still want this phone instead of their money back. It's a badly designed crap, there's no other way to put it.

Well... It actually wasn't the Note 7 that exploded on that kid's hand. It was something else I believe. But the removable of the headphone jack is nonsense and it is a more of an inconvience for a longer period of time than the Note 7 Situation. Yes those batteries were badly engineered hence why Samsung is replacing the phones with batteries that don't suck. The phone itself isn't badly enginnered and its Camera even beats the iphone 7's camera in virtually all comparisons.

No one is denying the Note 7 isn't a disaster but it is a disaster that will be replaced soon enough. What won't is the lack of a headphone jack. Yes you get an adapter but it is an incovience for the life of the device. You can't charge it while listening to music and considering it effectively requires you to unplug and replug when you want to listen/charge, it will decrease the amount of times the port will allow you to plug and unplug before it dies. So essentially, it cuts the life of the port by a lot since there is always a certain amount of times you can unplug/plug a connection into a port. Oh and of course, people will lose the adapter since it is so tiny and will have to get replacement ones. On top of that, Apple will require companies to get a license license for lighting port in order to make wired headphones to work with the iphone 7 which will increase the price of the wired headphones if you want to use the lighting port.

The thing is, these kinds of threads always existed on VGC, headphone jack removal or not. Your criticism is fair, and people should vote with their wallets if that's a concern.

I am not buying the 7 because in reality, it's a 6SE, the proper iPhone 7 got internally delayed because it wasn't ready (anyone follow tech blogs know about those leaks), so we got this placeholder and they couldn't name 6SS for obvious reasons.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Captain_Yuri said:

It's a nuisance, but who hell sits stationary listening to music while their phone is tethered to a wall jack? Like what is this? 1986? To be honest this issue is hugely overblown. 

iPhone 7 is a good phone. I have a Galaxy S7 Edge, which is basically the only phone that really can compete head to head with it, and the iPhone 7 has several advantages. Android phones may have better specs on paper, but they rarely perform better than Apple phones in actual usage. Apple makes killer mobile chips and really tunes to the metal, whereas Android phones often are drowned in bloatware shit. 

We do have portable batteries for a reason... And many do such as during car rides with Aux and car charger...

And I just said a couple of posts ago that apart from the headphone jack, I like the iphone 7 and etc. And yea, Android does have its own issues but no one ever said anything about that because those issues don't matter to most people and the phones, while performance wise isn't as good as iphones, still performs super well. But what does matter is the headphone jack hence why you see this uproar in pretty much every site because that is one thing that will matter to most people.

I am not gonna say this will affect the sales to a zomg degree but I do hope that with the next itteration, Apple brings back the headphone jack because if the iphone 7 had it, it probably been another home run.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

LurkerJ said:
Captain_Yuri said:

The thing is, these kinds of threads always existed on VGC, headphone jack removal or not. Your criticism is fair, and people should vote with their wallets if that's a concern.

I am not buying the 7 because in reality, it's a 6SE, the proper iPhone 7 got internally delayed because wasn't ready, so we got this placeholder and they couldn't name 6SS for obvious reasons.

It's a pretty decent upgrade anyway to be honest. The chipset benches the same basically as the Apple A9X which is fucking amazing because that chip could only be in the pizza-sized iPad Pro as of last year. The camera is better, a lot better if you get the Plus. Both models also get an average hour of extra battery per day which is fairly significant in daily usage. 

I went with Galaxy S7 Edge, simply because I badly needed a new phone last June and couldn't wait, but if I had waited I'd be quite happy with the iPhone 7. The dongle thing is a piss off, but really seeing as how it comes with the phone, it's not as big of a deal. 

Soundwave said:
LurkerJ said:

I am not buying the 7 because in reality, it's a 6SE, the proper iPhone 7 got internally delayed because wasn't ready, so we got this placeholder and they couldn't name 6SS for obvious reasons.

It's a pretty decent upgrade anyway to be honest. The chipset benches the same basically as the Apple A9X which is fucking amazing because that chip could only be in the pizza-sized iPad Pro as of last year. The camera is better, a lot better if you get the Plus. Both models also get an average hour of extra battery per day which is fairly significant in daily usage. 

I went with Galaxy S7 Edge, simply because I badly needed a new phone last June and couldn't wait, but if I had waited I'd be quite happy with the iPhone 7. The dongle thing is a piss off, but really seeing as how it comes with the phone, it's not as big of a deal. 

I think the jump from the 6 to the 6S was better. 

I got 3D Touch screen that only got better with iOS10 and I got always listening Siri, which is amazing. I can't count the times in which I was already tucked under the bed sheets just to remember that I forget to set an alarm, then the always listening Siri came to the rescue. I keep from my phones far from my bed and shouting "Hey Siri, wake me up in 7 hours" is useful

With the 7 you get nice updates everywhere in your phone, but no brand new features like 3D touch or always listening Siri, and no fresh design. So I am fine with the 6s, which still performs better than all phones available excluding the iPhone 7. There is that water-resistence feature, which apparently, works waaay better than advertized, but I don't care about that. So I am waiting for the iPhone 7 proper before deciding which smartphone I'll get next.

But the PS4Pro is not a super computer in your pocket.

The good thing about outrageously expensive phones (iPhone isn't the only outrageously expensive phone), is that it makes any price for a console look affordable.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

kowenicki said:
I'm no lover of apple but why on earth are you comparing an iPhone and a ps4?

ridiculous and pointless comparison.

because people compare PS4 Pro to Smartphone upgrades