By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favorite Genre and Why

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Action-adventure for me. The combination of action elements -- timed challenges, real-time combat -- with adventure elements -- exploration and problem-solving -- is, for me, the perfect formula.

Amen brother

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Do we need to continue discussion now?

You do know what I mean from the beginning .  

Ask yourself the same question (if you knew from the beginning, you wouldn't have had to say anything in the first place).

I know what you meant, but it wasn't the correct way of how it's separated. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Old school style JRPG. By old school I mean the classic sincere heart felt deep story games as opposed to Saturday morning cartoon inspired JPop filler that's more prevalent today.  

The heart breaking traumatizing stories, the sweeping orchestrated soundtracks, the endearing characters that become your family, the breathtaking hand drawn art. So much tragedy and drama. Shakespearean tales of friendship, betrayal, love, hate, good vs evil, inner conflict, and sacrifice. The emotionally charged dialogue choreographed with perfect delivery alongside the slowed camera pans and zooms and symphony and choir crescendos and slow string instruments.  The plot twists that take everything you think you know about the world and smash it into a million shards with revelations you never saw coming. The endless horizon of the world map as you soar through the skies on a dragon or airship in search of another hidden world while losing yourself in the clashing symbols of inner resolve enforcing adventure inspiring theme music.  And of course the exploring and constant upgrading of gear at every new town and dungeon on your path to becoming a level 99 god with best in slot gear and ultimate weapons. And you CAN BE OVERPOWRED if you want because its single player offline and it will never be patched or nerfed on a daily basis.

No other genre can shake your soul and leave you emotionally empty and yearning for something you can never change for months after completion. My soul still shows the scars of the multiple revelations of Xenogears many years later.

Take Ni no Kuni. A LOT of love went into that game, a true gem in the modern investor infected Call of Duty/Madden/Halo/Gears era that only care about record profit quarter after quarter.  The production value of the OST of a game like Ni no Kuni or Xenoblade Chronicles alone has more weight and value than any entire COD title.

I was there for the 16/32 bit era when JRPGs were #1 before gaming went mainstream, dude bro competitive online, and overly monetized by bloated conglomerate greedy Hollywood action budget AAA fucks like EA and Activision who won't look twice at any IP or genre that won't sell 100 trillion copies to the simpleton masses in 3 seconds.

Final Fantasy. Lunar. Lufia. Wild Arms. Breath of Fire. Dragon Warrior. Secret of Mana. Chrono Trigger.  Illusion of Gaia.  Xenogears.  Xenosaga. Grandia. Tales of *. Phantasy Star. Radiant Historia. Earthbound. Albert Odyssey. Suikoden.  Kingdom Hearts.  Ni no Kuni. Star Ocean

I'll never let go.

"No effect.  They have turned to stone of their own will"

"It was the hull of colossal spacecraft... estimated to be at least 10,000 years old"

"Fiiiiiiioooooooooorrrrrraaaaaaaaa!"

"H..how?! The power of a god cannot be overcome!"

"Shion...set my.....sisters free"

There are so many lines I can recall from so many games that cause numb chills and goosebumps still. 

Platformers. Why? Because they're more "gamey" than most other genres.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Action-adventure for me. The combination of action elements -- timed challenges, real-time combat -- with adventure elements -- exploration and problem-solving -- is, for me, the perfect formula.

I can't really say it better myself.

Aside from Adventure games the genre I almost equally like really is on the other side of the spectrum; the so-called 'construction & business management' genre, better known by the names of 'simulation' and 'city builder'. I like the endlessness and the sandbox nature. I like planning, managing and setting up things and design your own cities, themeparks, zoos, whatever in a quiet non-hostile environment. No objectives. I don't like the games that aren't a sandbox in this genre though, they're useless to me, with really only one exception. I'm still waiting for an 'airport builder'. A lot of these games become personal evergreens, and I play them for decades on end.

Around the Network
Azuren said:

Topic is in the title guys. What's your favorite genre and why? 

Mine is Soulslike. Until this genre came out, I couldn't quite describe what my perfect game was. Before that, all I could ever say was "I really like Ocarina and Majora", everything else is ranged from "hate it" to "Soul Reaver 2". Even my previous favorite game of all time (Shadow of the Colossus) wasn't perfectly to my liking, and I constantly daydreamed about changes I would make to it. 

Then Demon's Souls came out and... I hated it? I had a strange relationship with it. I got to the Defender and sort of lost hope. Looking back on it, I feel like I cheated myself out of several years of loving Souls.

When Dark Souls came out, I gave it a try. I couldn't get very far, and the controls felt awkward to me. I ended up bringing it back, despite having purchased the collector's edition. I regret it. 

When Dark Souls II came out, I gave it another shot. I could feel in my bones that this series was somehow made for me, but I had yet to open the door to it. I played momentarily at a friend's house and felt that sense of camaraderie you get when socializing with other Souls fans. My friend and I took turns trying to fell the Troll in the beginning, and I liked it. The small taste didn't entice me enough to buy it right away, though. I ended up purchasing it digitally on PS3 some time later, but I never got past the first Dragonrider. I never felt that sense of camaraderie that I had at my friend's house; only an overwhelming sense of oppression as I trudged through invasion after invasion. It really turned me off.

It wasn't until more information had come out about Bloodborne, and I was compelled to look up a good argument for a typical list war. My discovery was Bloodborne and the very near release date (compared to other games I was waiting for anyway). I pumped myself up for it, and researched multiplayer (which I'd never known about before). A handful of coworkers got it with me, and we tackled it. 

As a group. 

It was the single most satisfying feeling I'd ever gotten from a game. We tag-teamed it down, solo'd certain parts on our own, and run Yarnham through four times in a row for four consecutive Platinums. Hell, my Platinum screenshot has my friend Victor photobombing me by walking infront of me while using the clasp gesture. Bloodborne had become my favorite video game ever. 

Then Heather bought Scholar, and I looked at it with fire in my eyes: I was going to wreck this game, too. I ended up finding a group of players that we added to our "Souls Raid", and there was never a dull moment. We spent even more time on Scholar than we did Bloodborne thanks to the spell collecting trophies. It wasn't until NG++ that we finally ended it and celebrated with a ridiculous Fight Club (DUAL BONE FIST ONLY; PRETEND YOU'RE FROM DBZ).

A few of us turned to Demon's Souls immediately after, and it made it easy to team up since we were probably the only people in the world laying down Blue Eye Stones. We wrecked the whole thing, and it was amazing.

We all began to run Dark Souls 1, but some of us moved on to other games, so we didn't get far a at all. Bloodborne DLC was right around the corner, so we didn't want our playthrough to be interrupted. After  we finished The Old Hunters, we got Salt And Sanctuary as a pre-game to Dark Souls III and hit it with a Platinum. When Dark Souls III finally came out, we absolutely destroyed it. It was like a nonstop beatdown until we all got our final rings and posed for group photos in our screencaps. 

And now here I wait again, knowing that my playthrough of Dark Souls would be interrupted by Ashes of Ariandel. I also impatiently await word on the Vita version of Salt and Sanctuary, hoping it has its own trophies. One day I'll Platinum Dark Souls. Maybe I'll also run the PS3 DS2 as well. I've got so much work ahead of me  and I love it. 

Really cool story and it's fascinating how it took so many tries until you started to love the series.

So basically what you do is that you group gank single guys 3v1 all the time in these games?

But what co-workers do you have that you all together bought a game like Bloodborne? That's so awesome.

What do you mean with "the troll" in the beginning of Dark Souls 2?

Have you played Lords of the Fallen? I love that game.

For me jrpg, because the first one was ff vi, and was the best i ever played, and till today nothing changed

RPGs

Why?
-the typical RPG lasts around 30-100+ hours so you get more for your money
-the stories are a lot more deeper and thought of than other genres
-there's usually a lot more characters and personalities to enjoy than other genres
-the gameplay is a lot more complex as there is more than one thing to do like , crafting, cooking, collecting, foraging, synthesising, building.
-the engaging of enemies takes a lot more than simply pressing shoot(like in a FPS) a lot of the time you need strategy.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Wow so much RPG love. Like every single post. Yet shooters over shadow everything. Sad.

One of my favorite fan trailers when someone asks me to define what a JRPG is like:

https://youtu.be/5icsrI84aws

Teh feelz

A good JRPG is like Castle in the Sky in a sea of SpongeBobs and Tom and Jerry in this era.

1st favorite genre Western RPG. Because of immersion, to escape reality. And because the proggressive nature of the RPG character build systems are addictive and requires you to think, which is satisfying. (Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout, Dark Souls, Dragon Age, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Dragon's Dogma)

2nd most favorite genre would be RTS thanks to Age of Empires II, Dune 2, Lords of the Realm II

3d should be action-adventure like Red Dead Redemption, Witcher 3 (to me it's not an RPG), Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Zelda

4th Turn based strategy (Warlords II, Heroes of Might & Magic, XCOM, King's Bounty, Age of Wonders)

5th First person shooters (Half-Life 2, Doom, Battelfield, Bioshock)

6th Simulation (Mount & Blade: Warband, Kingdom, Pirates, Anno1404, which is mixed genre game though)

7th Action-RPG (Titan Quest, Grim Dawn)

8th Hack'n'slash (God ov War, Castlevania, Dante's Inferno)

9th Classic adventure/Point & click (Conquests of Camelot, Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within)

10th Platform (Wonderboy)

11th Coin-op Arcade/Shootemups (Gunsmoke, Black Tiger, Boulder Dash, Gauntlet)

12th MMORPG (Dark Age of Camelot, Elder Scrolls Online)