By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 4K UHD TVs are being adopted faster than HDTVs

Tagged games:

Lawlight said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea but why would anyone even buy a 4k tv if they have a perfectly good hdtv and they dont care about 4k?

And yes 4k has been out for a few years but only recently became available at an affordable price for the mass market. Without sacrificing in many places that is. A few years ago, 4k tvs costed over 20k...

I already told you - big brands are only putting out 4K TVs these days. I used this example, if I go out wanting to buy s Samsung TV for example, I'd only see 4K ones on the market.

But that doesnt explain why would they even want a new TV in the first place if they already have a perfectly good hdtv and dont care about 4k...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Lawlight said:

I already told you - big brands are only putting out 4K TVs these days. I used this example, if I go out wanting to buy s Samsung TV for example, I'd only see 4K ones on the market.

But that doesnt explain why would they even want a new TV in the first place if they already have a perfectly good hdtv and dont care about 4k...

Maybe because there old set isn't working anymore. Or want a bigger TV. The point is that 4K is the default that you will be getting.

I'm ready for 8k.

4K is so 2017-2019. It's been done to death and it is time to move on.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Lawlight said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Maybe because there old set isn't working anymore. Or want a bigger TV. The point is that 4K is the default that you will be getting.

For that many people? Doubt it...

Yea 4k is the one that people will be getting but I doubt its cause the reasons you suggested. People dont spend money to upgrade for nothing... If people dont care about 4k like you suggested, this many people wouldnt be buying them in the first place and just stick with their current hdtv. In order for people to want to upgrade, most people want a reason and that reason atm is having a resolution that is 4 times their current one at an affordable price... 

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

shikamaru317 said:
Based on their projections around 90m 4K tv's will have been sold in the US by 2019, when PS5 and Scorpio 2.0 are likely to release. I reckon PS5 and Scorpio 2.0 will be aiming for native 4K on all games.

They'll almost certainly be capable of it. The Pro is releasing at a relatively low price in 2016, and it's already closer to 4k than 1080p (doubly so in terms of actual image quality, based on what we've seen of the up-scaling tech Sony are using), and i expect the Scorpio in 2017 will be hitting a native 4k more often than it doesn't, again likely at a relatively cheap price.

I think the real question is if developers will actually target a native 4k. If consumers are happy enough with the Pro's constructed 4k, we might see Sony and MS take that tech and develop it further as an alternative. If you could create a 90% accurate 4k image with a 1800p one, and then use the freed up resources for better graphics or frame-rates, i could see that being the 9th gen standard.

I wonder if some developers might still opt for 1080p. I'd personally prefer better mage quality, but 1080p will still be a very common content standard in 2019. I could see someone developers still opting for it, and just going all out on the visuals. 

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Lawlight said:

Is there demand for 4K content though? My guess is that people are buying 4K TVs because why not? I'm looking at Harvey Norman's website and Samsung only have 1080p TV on sale - the rest are 4K ones. The only 4K content that I foresee growing is games.

That would be a bit silly to spend hard earned money on a 4k TV because why not? They could easily spend that money on something else if they don't care for 4k content. And those who are spending money on a 4k TV surely would want to see 4k Content to see what the upgrade can deliver.

And there are plenty of 4k content that is growing. There are quite a few channels on Youtube that have 4k viewing options, Virtually All Netflix Originals are in 4k and tons of movies that are currently avaliable and are coming out also are coming in 4k. You surely can't expect Content to outpace the devices that are able to play them in terms of growth right? We need the devices to sell and then the content will come for them.

You are forgetting that 2160p streaming is NOT better than 1080p bluray.

Trentonater said:
Captain_Yuri said:

That would be a bit silly to spend hard earned money on a 4k TV because why not? They could easily spend that money on something else if they don't care for 4k content. And those who are spending money on a 4k TV surely would want to see 4k Content to see what the upgrade can deliver.

And there are plenty of 4k content that is growing. There are quite a few channels on Youtube that have 4k viewing options, Virtually All Netflix Originals are in 4k and tons of movies that are currently avaliable and are coming out also are coming in 4k. You surely can't expect Content to outpace the devices that are able to play them in terms of growth right? We need the devices to sell and then the content will come for them.

You are forgetting that 2160p streaming is NOT better than 1080p bluray.

K and? 4k streaming is better than 1080p streaming... And 4k bluray is better than 1080p bluray... In a 4k display that is

shikamaru317 said:
Zekkyou said:

They'll almost certainly be capable of it. The Pro is releasing at a relatively low price in 2016, and it's already closer to 4k than 1080p (doubly so in terms of actual image quality, based on what we've seen of the up-scaling tech Sony are using), and i expect the Scorpio in 2017 will be hitting a native 4k more often than it doesn't, again likely at a relatively cheap price.

I think the real question is if developers will actually target a native 4k. If consumers are happy enough with the Pro's constructed 4k, we might see Sony and MS take that tech and develop it further as an alternative. If you could create a 90% accurate 4k image with a 1800p one, and then use the freed up resources for better graphics or frame-rates, i could see that being the 9th gen standard.

I wonder if some developers might still opt for 1080p. I'd personally prefer better mage quality, but 1080p will still be a very common content standard in 2019. I could see someone developers still opting for it, and just going all out on the visuals. 

I would prefer it if the new checkerboard upscaling takes off instead of native 4k personally. If native 4K becomes the main focus graphics quality is going to stagnate for awhile. From what I've seen checkerboard upscaled games on PS4 Pro look just fine, combine that with a noticeable upgrade in graphics quality on PS5 and Scorpio 2.0 and I'll be happy. 

I'm not sure which i'd rather. It's no secret that i'm pretty big on image quality (and I've been playing at a native 4k in most games on my PC for a few months now), but as you say, we'd likely see a stagnation in console graphics, and that might extend to PC too (since consoles, at least right now, tend to be used as the graphical baseline). That'd be pretty disappointing.

Lrdfancypants said:
I'm ready for 8k.

4K is so 2017-2019. It's been done to death and it is time to move on.

http://mashable.com/2016/09/03/cheap-8k-tvs-are-coming-chinese-brands/#aPTtg5BZmZqM

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/2/12349954/8k-broadcasts-start-japan-nhk

Yup, 4K is the new 720p

celador said:
Surprised really, the difference is great but not as dramatic as the jump from standard to HD.

Probably get one for next gen, should be some attractive prices around by 2019/2020

Actually, if you go look at 4K HDR vs 4K vs  1080p, I think you would be surprised. If you look at the Z9D next to even the X940D which are both 4K HDR TV's the difference is unbelievable. 4K and high quality HDR is a much bigger jump than 480 4:3 to 1080 16:9. 1080 to 2160 is nothing special though without HDR. 

pray4mojo said:
What I don't understand is the marketing. Back when high definition was coming out, it was marketed as HD. Then when those 720P and 1080i tvs were in homes, they decided to lie to people by telling them they didn't have "full" hd, which was 1080P. After everyone went out and got themselves "full" hdtvs, then they decided to sell 2160P sets as "ultra"... even though they already told them 1080P was "full".

Here is the definition of full.

containing or holding as much or as many as possible; having no empty space.

not lacking or omitting anything; complete.

If full means holding as much as possible, then 1080P is the highest resolution mankind will ever produce and therefore, 2160P is pointless.

This is why Sony decided to drop out of the group and call market their TV's as 4K, and now 4K HDR. The whole HD, Full HD, Ultra HD naming is rediculous. 4K, 6K, 8K, ect. is the way it should be.

foodfather said:
A meaningless stat since 4k tvs are cheap, same price roughly as regular hd yet 4k content is no way near being adopted as high as blurays.

There where actually really cheap 1080p TV's back in the mid 2000's, they where just the highly superior rear projection TV's that died out to the crappy LCDs we have today. People where confused by the 3000 to 4500 hour bulb life and thought their TV was broke after 3 - 5 years, when in reality all they had to do was call up their manufacturer and get the 1st free replacement bulb which was standard on almost all of these TV's from respectable brands. 

It is tragic that we only have LCD/LED/OLED with crappy 20ms+ response times, and lower image quality, when we could have much higher image qulaity and as low as 4ms response times if we still had SXRD. A great example of consumers failing, and dragging down tech.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL