By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony downplays GTA4 extras, no one buying it

Via Destructoid:

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-downplays-gta-iv-s-extras-but-nobody-s-buying-it-78354.phtml

According to SCEA's VP of Product Marketing, Scott Steinberg, the episodic content offered to Xbox 360 owners is nothing to get worked up about: 

"[Microsoft] spent the GNP of several small Latin American countries to get that [content], and if you've ever played San Andreas...there's a lot of game to Grand Theft Auto and there's going to be a lot of game to Grand Theft Auto IV to the point where I think most people will have that Grand Theft Auto experience on the PS3, day and date, same core game shipping on the 360. Perhaps they'll be shipping some episodic content in the fall, but there is a whole lot of product shipping on the PS3 in April and I personally don't think there's going to be a huge percentage of folks who jump into downloadable content for another price when they're still playing through the core product."

Scott then goes on to remind us about Sony's own bag of exclusives, and what they possible mean to those who not only have a PS3, but also to those who are still hesitant about taking the Sony plunge: 

"I think PlayStation fans know the Grand Theft Auto experience on the PS2 is how they grew up playing Grand Theft Auto," he continued, "and when you combine GTA IV with MGS 4 and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, all the exclusive content that we've got going forward, I think that goes from tipping point to shoving point for consumers who are on the fence, wondering what platform should I buy. I think the clear exclusive message that we have is that the PS3 is where, not only do you get Grand Theft Auto, but you'll get MGS, you'll get Gran Turismo and these are also brands that have moved hardware units. It's the elite of the elite products that actually enable hardware to be sold with software and we'll have three of them."

Spindoctor Steinberg at work! 

Around the Network

Yeah... Microsoft payed 50 mil for some hubcaps and two new missions... right...

yeah,i think his right about buying the ps3 not only for gtaiv but for the other great exclusivite like mgs4 or gt5,thats a good reason

In a sad way he's right. Even if Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is poor in terms of simulation racing, it will sell on name alone. However as I understand Rockstar are releasing very good DLC somewhere in the region of 6 - 8 hours extra. PS3 wont have full stroyline. They wont release more GTA's like PS2 had. DLC is how they do this one.

selnor said:
In a sad way he's right. Even if Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is poor in terms of simulation racing, it will sell on name alone. However as I understand Rockstar are releasing very good DLC somewhere in the region of 6 - 8 hours extra. PS3 wont have full stroyline.

no from what I have heard its mostly all side missions nothing to do with the story or some missions that enhance areas of the story like Nico taking over LC.

The main story will be the same and complete throughout both versions.

Plus I doubt the DLC will be the reason that the 360 version moves more copies of the game.  Thats like saying that Motorstorm only started selling well due to it's DLC.  

DLC will not be the driving factor, at most its the fact that theres a touch over 6 million more 360s sold then the PS3.

BTW, if you played a GT game you would realize that even its racing is darn near perfect. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

@selnor

Gt 5 prologue is poor in terms of Simulation Racing??

& I though Xbots could stoop no lower

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

ssj12 said:
selnor said:
In a sad way he's right. Even if Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is poor in terms of simulation racing, it will sell on name alone. However as I understand Rockstar are releasing very good DLC somewhere in the region of 6 - 8 hours extra. PS3 wont have full stroyline.

no from what I have heard its mostly all side missions nothing to do with the story or some missions that enhance areas of the story like Nico taking over LC.

Plus I doubt the DLC will be the reason that the 360 version moves more copies of the game. Thats like saying that Motorstorm only started selling well due to it's DLC.

DLC will not be the driving factor, at most its the fact that theres a touch over 6 million more 360s sold then the PS3.

BTW, if you played a GT game you would realize that even its racing is darn near perfect.

Here you go. This I posted in another thread but applies here.

Hey everyone. My mate got a copy of GT5 P bout a month ago but he went on holiday before I could play it.

However now I have, here's what I can tell you.

I have roughly spent 3 hours on it. Mostly online.

The graphics are the best in any driving game period. There are however some noticable little things that detract. Some pop up is present on trackside detail. No tyre marks at all.(Not reffering to the marks that are there pre race. There's no marks made by your car tyres.) And there was talk of this game being native 720p but upscaled to 1080p. Well in replays it's definately 1080p. But in game there is some noticeable jaggies which doesnt appear in other true native 1080p games. Also I think as other sites have mentioned the replays are certainly not 60fps. I think 30fps. But ingame is def 60fps. Only other thing is slight tearing occasionally.

Gameplay wise It's actually hard to see what Polyphony are making. Obviously damage is non existant. We found it mainly posed a problem online. It reminded me of banger racing. The trouble is you always get cheats online. And when you enjoy simulation racing where overtaking is an art/precision it's ruined by prats. With no real cosequence for trying to plough into the side of someones car to take him off at the corner It meant everybody within 6 inches of each other was taken strait off by the guy coming up the inside who used everyone else as a brake. Then happily drives off miles in the lead. Even an internal damage system like steering, suspension gearbox etc, would have stopped this happening. It makes the online as un simulationy as you can get.

Singleplayer though is a bit better. still sometimes if your going slower than the AI cars rather than go off the racing line to take you they will smack right up your tail. Not very amusing. Of course this makes blocking them pointless as they don't care.

The controls and feel of the cars though is spot on. When you drive with no other cars around you it really is something special. I would say as good as Forza 2's. But with added graphical bling.

I suppose that because Forza 2 got what so many racers couldnt get right it's hard not to compare the online. But at this time it's a shame that GT5P online is marred by prats. Simple consequence would stop it, and make it prper racing.

In the Jap version there is 5 tracks(2 from GT4)but 10 layouts. and 37 cars. from what I could see.

If you love simulation lets hope by the time we get GT5 that Polyphony address the niggles with AI, and add some form of damage to make online feel like a real race instead of a derby. There is talk of naybe a download for GT5P that's for damage. It's supposed to be a tester for the full game.(heres hoping).

Graphics 9.0

Gameply 8.0

Sound 9.0

Lating appeal 6.0

Overall 7.5

Although best looking driving game. It has some poor elements that need adressing. Simulation racing has passed just the graphics stage. Polyphony need to know this.

My thoughts are with this game being played as a simulation. Hence GT5P's caption'Real Driving Simulator'

I've been as honest as I can 

darthdevidem01 said:
@selnor

Gt 5 prologue is poor in terms of Simulation Racing??

& I though Xbots could stoop no lower
^^^^^^^^I'm no fanboy Darth vader wannabe. See post above. If your blind to videogames because of your love for Sony then thats your problem. Dont dish when you dont know me. I'm always honest in games. 

selnor said:
ssj12 said:
selnor said:

Plus I doubt the DLC will be the reason that the 360 version moves more copies of the game. Thats like saying that Motorstorm only started selling well due to it's DLC.

Here you go. This I posted in another thread but applies here.

Hey everyone. My mate got a copy of GT5 P bout a month ago but he went on holiday before I could play it.

However now I have, here's what I can tell you.

I have roughly spent 3 hours on it. Mostly online.

The graphics are the best in any driving game period. There are however some noticable little things that detract. Some pop up is present on trackside detail. No tyre marks at all.(Not reffering to the marks that are there pre race. There's no marks made by your car tyres.) And there was talk of this game being native 720p but upscaled to 1080p. Well in replays it's definately 1080p. But in game there is some noticeable jaggies which doesnt appear in other true native 1080p games. Also I think as other sites have mentioned the replays are certainly not 60fps. I think 30fps. But ingame is def 60fps. Only other thing is slight tearing occasionally.

Gameplay wise It's actually hard to see what Polyphony are making. Obviously damage is non existant. We found it mainly posed a problem online. It reminded me of banger racing. The trouble is you always get cheats online. And when you enjoy simulation racing where overtaking is an art/precision it's ruined by prats. With no real cosequence for trying to plough into the side of someones car to take him off at the corner It meant everybody within 6 inches of each other was taken strait off by the guy coming up the inside who used everyone else as a brake. Then happily drives off miles in the lead. Even an internal damage system like steering, suspension gearbox etc, would have stopped this happening. It makes the online as un simulationy as you can get.

Singleplayer though is a bit better. still sometimes if your going slower than the AI cars rather than go off the racing line to take you they will smack right up your tail. Not very amusing. Of course this makes blocking them pointless as they don't care.

The controls and feel of the cars though is spot on. When you drive with no other cars around you it really is something special. I would say as good as Forza 2's. But with added graphical bling.

I suppose that because Forza 2 got what so many racers couldnt get right it's hard not to compare the online. But at this time it's a shame that GT5P online is marred by prats. Simple consequence would stop it, and make it prper racing.

In the Jap version there is 5 tracks(2 from GT4)but 10 layouts. and 37 cars. from what I could see.

If you love simulation lets hope by the time we get GT5 that Polyphony address the niggles with AI, and add some form of damage to make online feel like a real race instead of a derby. There is talk of naybe a download for GT5P that's for damage. It's supposed to be a tester for the full game.(heres hoping).

Graphics 9.0

Gameply 8.0

Sound 9.0

Lating appeal 6.0

Overall 7.5

Although best looking driving game. It has some poor elements that need adressing. Simulation racing has passed just the graphics stage. Polyphony need to know this.

My thoughts are with this game being played as a simulation. Hence GT5P's caption'Real Driving Simulator'

I've been as honest as I can 

ok.. now get back on the topic. this is not a GT thread

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@selnor

Well I am definetely less a fanboy than you Xbot

Why would a person in love with SONY claim the best game of last year was SMG & own nintendo consoles..

Besides you saying GT 5 prologue is POOR a simulation racing games just shows your bitterness towards it, probably because it will outsell Forza 2

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey