By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I don't care about your fanmade games being taken down.

There's this recent article that says, "Nintendo threatens diehard fans; Sega hires them".  Basically the article criticizes Nintendo for taking down these games, while Sega is praised for encouraging fanmade games and even goes on to say that Sega hired them to make ports on to smart phones.  That's all good and dandy, but there's that backseat driving element in this article.  Like it calls out Nintendo for not being more encouraging towards their fans.  The article finishes off by statinging: "Don’t threaten your biggest fans, Nintendo. Enable them. Their creativity benefits your brand, whether you realize it or not, so stop trying to shut it all down. These fans just might have the shakeup your games need right now."

First off, I support Nintendo in enacting their rights to take these games down.  For any fan that's making these games, they have to know that's what's going to happen.  Apparently Nintendo has taken down 500 plus games already having to do with their IP so they should know to place such effort or even money into something that'll never come back to them.  And what's worst is that they're citing other companies that play ball and let these fans do what they want to do with IP that's not theirs.  News flash, Nintendo is not those other companies, Nintendo certainly is not Sega.  Fortunately or not, Nintendo marches to the beat of their own drums.  They are strict with what their business model is and any deviation be it natural or fan caused will get them into arms to have it their way and the backlash is uncalled for.  It's not.  Games like AM2R is still available through other means.  And I get he anger, for the creators, that's time, money and passion.  For fans of those games, it's another game taken down that they can't play(though they actually can because internet).  It's like, enter at your own peril.  Beware of Dog.  No lifeguard on duty.  Yet, it seems like a hell storm after another big project gets shut down. 

Nintendo should be praised for not being like the others in this aspect.  Don't even get me started on their youtube policy.  BTW, it's genius.

UPDATE: So the thread topic is: I don't care about your fanmade games being taken down.  But the big concern is whether or not Nintendo is praiseworthy for it.  Quick answer: I praise them for it, because it's a big move and one that's not liked.  Pretty ballsy if you asked me and one that deserves a little praise seeing how so many people are at arms about it.

Around the Network

Which company is still in the hardware business?

Nintendo, not Sega. If nintendo allowed this, people would take a game and add an "addition" to make it their "own" game. Give someone an inch and they demand a mile.

if someone copy pastes SSB4 but adds big tits and a Sonic skin, is that his game? yes? no?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Ka-pi96 said:
They should be praised?

Why the fuck should they be praised?

While I can agree they don't deserve to be criticised for protecting their copyrights and fans really should expect that from any company I see no reason whatsoever to praise them for it.

How Nintendo was praised for raising innovation for wii, innovations in the 3d space, how they were praised for handheld for so many generations, how Nintendo stays Nintendo despite the trends of the world and so fort.  Their fight to keep their IP as wholly theirs is not yet seen as a positive.  Where you have so many companies that embrace, cater to, or even survive by outside advertisement to profit, Nintendo does not.  There may be pros and cons to this kind of structure within Nintendo, but despite this, they are again novel and solo in this movement.  No other company is as demanding and militant about their stance as Nintendo and operate accordingly.  Do I mean praised as in the best plan in the world, no.  But being the bulwark that goes against the wave is still something to gawk at, no matter the devastation that lay in wait.

Yes, we know that Nintendo is not one of the cool companies that's not threatening its fans. You really don'the have to remind us.

Also is this a parody thread? That last paragraph sounds like it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ouroboros24 said:

How Nintendo was praised for raising innovation for wii, innovations in the 3d space, how they were praised for handheld for so many generations, how Nintendo stays Nintendo despite the trends of the world and so fort.  Their fight to keep their IP as wholly theirs is not yet seen as a positive.  Where you have so many companies that embrace, cater to, or even survive by outside advertisement to profit, Nintendo does not.  There may be pros and cons to this kind of structure within Nintendo, but despite this, they are again novel and solo in this movement.  No other company is as demanding and militant about their stance as Nintendo and operate accordingly.  Do I mean praised as in the best plan in the world, no.  But being the bulwark that goes against the wave is still something to gawk at, no matter the devastation that lay in wait.

So you think they deserve praise solely for being different? Just being different isn't really praiseworthy though.

You forgot the picture.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

Nintendo has every right to control and manage their IPs the way they see fit but that's not necessarily praiseworthy.

I can't help but respect Zun's business model, for instance, more than Nintendo's. There are hundreds of thousands of fanmade Touhou works in Japan because the creator encourages his fans to capitalize on his IP to help them realize something. That didn't seem to affect the performance of Zun's own Touhou games. To the contrary, he became even more recognized.

Of course there is the fundamental difference that waterfalls of money are being risked in Nintendo's projects as opposed to Zun's little indies. But I think if Nintendo relaxed a little and gave their fans a bit more freedom, the benefits could outweigh the negatives.

What I see most is that fanmade games are a wildwest like issue.  There's really no law other than Nintendo flagging these independent creators.  It's so much that the fight is carried along by Nintendo and when Nintendo does fight, it's a "f the man" mentality.  No one wants to bat for big brother Nintendo.  I can't say much about Zun because this is the first time I've heard of them tbh.  But my main point here, is that everyone seems to be towards a laissez-faire attitude towards content creators and branded IP.  And it goes beyond just fanmade games, it's this idea that IP should be free and those who own them should be cool and let it pass.  Sega for instance, how far are they willing to let fanmade be okay?  Is it when streets of rage 5 comes out and it's downloaded a million times for free?  Sure they're a cool company now, but they aren't like Nintendo where IPs are mostly all golden.  Who gives an Ace about Sonic when there's like 100s and they all fall flat.  What was it, someone get the number, but 500 dcma claims put down.  500 is not a small number.  From Zelda, to Pokemon, to Mario, Metroid, Earthbound, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and the list goes on and on.  They pile and if those numbers continue and Nintendo were "cool" it would be bad.  Companies put down money to make their IP as they are and if you're Nintendo, you wanna keep your money makers confined to your own whims. 

Touhou games are those company that isn't in the level of a Nintendo, whose structure seems to benefit from fanmade games(as I'm guessing), but again, that's why Nintendo I think should be praised.  They're a whole different sort of entity where they're looked down at for being the way they are and acting they way they are, but ultimately sticks to their guns and never pulls back when they think they're right.  I personally think that's praiseworthy. 

And yes, the future is uncertain.  Perhaps we'll see these fanmade games come to light under the nintendo banner, but as of yet, Nintendo has not answered that call.  We all know when Nintendo isn't ready, nothing imperfect will be release, ie Zelda.  Perhaps they have a plan for these games.  Nintendo knew about Uranium for a very long time and the game took like 9 years to develop.  They could have stopped it a long time ago, but the waited until it was done.  Who knows and I'm with you in the issue of "relaxed".  But, as they are, they are certainly praise worthy for their actions, if only because they're sticking to their story.

vivster said:
Ka-pi96 said:

So you think they deserve praise solely for being different? Just being different isn't really praiseworthy though.

You forgot the picture.

To say that fork is Nintendo is to call nintendo a Zynga.  Nintendo is a world leader in technology and always in constant scrutiny in a sea of other giants like Sony and Microsoft.  When those other giants walk and Nintendo chooses to tip toe, it makes them unique.  Not just unique for unique sake, but because Nintendo is a giant and those tip toes get them to their destination in a whole different way. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Ouroboros24 said:

Did you not read in how I praise them?   Not just for being different, but because of the consequence their difference brings.  Always under scrutiny, always looking like the idiot for idiotic choices they make.  Certainly taking down fan games is a negative, but praiseworthy in their actions to defy the common norm, and it's not like it's a easy choice.  That's all.  If say Trump were to be president, it's stupid and probably a negative, but I praise the guy for getting to the party.  Get it?

vivster said:
Yes, we know that Nintendo is not one of the cool companies that's not threatening its fans. You really don'the have to remind us.

Also is this a parody thread? That last paragraph sounds like it.

Thank you for being the first "That guy" that doesn't really add to the topic.   We needed you.  *wink*

Ouroboros24 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Did you not read in how I praise them?   Not just for being different, but because of the consequence their difference brings.  Always under scrutiny, always looking like the idiot for idiotic choices they make.  Certainly taking down fan games is a negative, but praiseworthy in their actions to defy the common norm, and it's not like it's a easy choice.  That's all.  If say Trump were to be president, it's stupid and probably a negative, but I praise the guy for getting to the party.  Get it?

There is nothing to add because you're not ready to listen.

There is nothing praiseworthy about executing your rights. It's a neutral action. We can however laugh at them for being so commited to shit on their fans' work.

And then we laugh again about people who actually defend consumer unfriendly practices.