By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog: PS4Pro Is The Future - We’re Removing The Smudge From Your Glasses

Sony’s technical wizards talk us through the benefits of PS4 Pro and the future of video game visuals.

One of the nicest things about Sony’s PlayStation 4 Pro announcement event was how intimate it was. The conference was a smaller and more modest affair than I’d expected, and afterward it gave way to an open-plan mini show floor where developers hung out in front of their games showing them off and chatting openly about just how Sony’s new addition to the PlayStation range benefits their games.

Directly behind the stage were three screens showcasing the work of Naughty Dog, a studio that’s well known for mind-boggling feats of technical achievement. The company has been Sony’s go-to technical powerhouse for a while now – so just how have they found the transition to and working on PS4 Pro?

We pulled aside Naughty Dog’s Christian Gyrling to find out more. Gyrling is clearly excited about the new technology, and after serving as a lead programmer on Uncharted 4 has been tasked with heading up PS4 Pro development of PS4 Pro patches for both that game and The Last of Us Remastered.

As we chat, he beams at the impressive-looking demo where Uncharted 4’s Chapter 3 and Chapter 12 swipe back and forth between Pro and non-Pro modes. The difference seems to be the type that’s harder to quantify on a stream or a screen grab, but that offered by HDR in particular is profound.

http://www.vg247.com/2016/09/12/ps4-pro-and-hdr-this-is-the-future-were-removing-the-smudge-from-your-glasses-says-naughty-dog/#disqus

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Yeah, would be weird if PS4Pro was the past...

padib said:
I don't like the phrasing "PS4Pro is the future".

It's going to make games look better. Great. But there will be other options we are aware of, and they are PC and Xbox Scorpio.

Only a certain mind could read that as "The future of all gaming".

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Or that is was a poor choice of words

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

I mean... what else would it be?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

The...future?

To grade answers so far.

The PS5 Exists. 

CaptainExplosion said:
Naughty Dog has since lost my respect for dumping Crash and Jak, so I don't trust their word here.

Serious? Surely not. Unless something's upset a few people today.

The PS5 Exists. 

padib said:
vivster said:

Only a certain mind could read that as "The future of all gaming".

Only a certain mind? Sounds like you are calling me a fanboy. You also did that in our other convo.

Do you think you're smart somehow by making hints that you pretend only you and a select few (with certain minds) might understand? You are not as smart as you try to pretend by making your sly hints. We see through you. I see through you, you're so obvious. No, you're not so smart that we don't understand.

You want to be sly, go play mafia. If I want to say that something was written badly, I fully reserve the right without having to suffer some guy on the internet pretending like I have a special, sensitive mind.

The wording is bad. Don't make it sound like I'm bad for interpreting it that way. Not only a certain mind would read it that way, it's how it's written.

"We're removing the smudge from your glasses" Oh can it. Don't tell me I'm special for thinking that's written pretentiously.

It's called an "analogy."  Gamers and PlayStation supporters are going to interpret this in a better light.  Non-PlayStation support are going to feel indifferent about it or downplay it.  To be expected.

CaptainExplosion said:
Naughty Dog has since lost my respect for dumping Crash and Jak, so I don't trust their word here.

And the Uncharted series has earned and received critical success since.