By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A quick question about hardcore and causal gamers

I hope you built your computer....

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
I hope you built your computer....

Yep, every single one (apart from the laptops of course).

Why? 

your mother said:

I don't know what constitutes hardcore or softcore,

I believe it is based on the amount of skins and/or clothings you see.

Other than that, it's pretty much relative definition. If you buy 10 games and you like 9 of them, you're hardcore. If you buy 10 games and only play 1 occassionally, give me the money for 10 games and I'll pick 5 games that you'll love. :) (just so you can be "hardcore") 

well I was just worried for a second that you were one of those "gamers" that pay a few grand on a pre-built "gaming" computer. Building PC's are the only way to go...I don't really have much money to spend, but my $700 PC gets me pretty far.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
well I was just worried for a second that you were one of those "gamers" that pay a few grand on a pre-built "gaming" computer. Building PC's are the only way to go...I don't really have much money to spend, but my $700 PC gets me pretty far.

Actually, I *kinda* lied...

You see, I used to build my own computers, and have enough parts to build seven more computers (I collect "stuff", although the fastest one I can build from the spare parts is an Athlon 3000+), but the last purchase, I went to the local computer mall and chose my components, then had a guy assemble it for me while I waited (and watched to make sure he would assemble it the way I like it - cable routing and all that). We had a good chat, and after 1.5 hours I walked away with my fully assembled computer, built to my specs, and the entire assembly job only cost me 19USD. Not bad, and for me, worth the little extra - saved me the hassles!

But pay for the "prestige" of a boutique system when you know you can source the same components for less? Never! 

And your $700 should be giving you good results, especially if you bought/sourced/assembled your computer anywhere within the past six months.

Around the Network

Going by the responses here I'm casuardcoral. Hahahaha!

I bought PLENTY from used game stores yet there are times when I'm satisfied with my small library of current gen titles.

I can spend literally days (and nights) playing games to the point of exhaustion but sometimes I don't play my games (any of 'em) for about a week's time.

I'm critical in my purchasing decisions (in general outside of gaming) but yes I also buy games solely based on boxcover (SNES Shadowrun showed me this was a good move) and brand name (GBA DBZ: The Legacy of Goku I & II showed me this was a bad move).

I can buy and enjoy "hardcore" "adult" violent games and then be not adversed to playing online parlor games, Nintendogs, and Yoshi's Story.

I love a good challenge but sometimes there are times when controls (such as in most popular fighting games) go over my head due to the complexity.

I love fresh innovation and new experiences and then other times I got a thirst for the retro and tried and true.

In all honesty I think the terms are arbitrary 'cause you could get a dedicated Madden player who plays it to death and beyond yet not care about anything else and an ol' granny who buys a lot of games but only in certain 'touch generations-esque' genres.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

im a casual gamer...and spider-man 3 is a casual game also!!! u see casual people purchase casual things....spider-man 3 was a movie and casual people wanted to play as spidey....^_^....but anyway...do u still think hardcore people are buying the xbox 360, ps3 and the wii now or is it casual gamers now???