By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is no 4K Bluray on PS4 Pro the biggest BS Sony pulled yet?

kowenicki said:
nanzano said:

The Answer is obviously NO . For a gaming console the disc player is only relevant if it compromise or not the size of the Games which is not the case anymore since ps4 and X1 have launched. So 4KBD is  irrelevant as a feature when it comes to determine if a console product is good or not. I don't think 0.1% of poeple playing at 4k on pc with 4k monitor and tvs want a 4kBDplayer,why? Because they SIMPLY DON'T CARE!

Jesus.

How many people had a stand alone blu ray player before the PS3?  Was that also because they simply didnt care?  There are VERY few stand alone players, Sony doesnt release one until next year for instance.

Look.

I am all about streaming, but the BS being spouted on here and the shifting of stance to accomodate this odd decision is laughable.

There is NO DOUBT that if it was the other way around MS would be being murdered on here today.

Actually I did forget that Sony would be looking to sell a stand alone player.  It makes more sense that Sony sell a stand alone player and reap more profit that way then put that player within the PS4 Pro and probably just break even ot slight hit.  It really could be just a conflict of interest with sony divisions.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
It sucks for those who have collected many 4k Blu Ray disks. It definitely doesnt sound like the best choice for a 4k TV. For gaming its great. I had no plans on buying a Xbox Slim but now im considering buying one due to the player.

No it doesn't.  Just buy a 4k player.  Or those who have already have a collection more than likely already have a 4k player.  Don't make up false issues in an attempt to bolster your false argument.

I'm a bit surprised about the no UHD player get the internet to totally write off the Pro.
I'm not in the market for one myself, but almost never watch DVD's or Bluerays on the PS4 (and don't own a 4k TV)
But sure, if its that important for every one else besides me it sounds like Sony made a bad design choice

Since they own and license the technology, Sony probably know a thing or two about Blu-ray's market share in the consumption of 4K content.

This... I was on the "Sony failed" boat, but with this reason I think I will disembark now...

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

aLkaLiNE said:

So what the hell happened to all those people behind the digital future movement? Where they at?

Anyway, this isn't really a big deal. It still plays 4K content, and from the research I've done, I haven't actually found a reason why the regular blu Ray drives can't be patched to support 4K UHD blu Ray because as far as I understand, there is no extra tech required to read the different layers on a blu Ray and you could certainly fit a 4K film on a 90GB triple layer disc. I've half thought about predicting such a patch forth coming in fact. Probably an issue of greed that the consortium of vendors would be embarrassed to admit that we don't in fact need any UhD player as legacy hardware could just be patched.

One other thing people can easily enough deduce here is that these mid gen consoles were not supposed to be here in time for 4K I think.

I think that Microsoft was only ready to announce the slim but caught wind that Sony was going to release a more powerful console and soon. This is why at E3 they super prematurely "revealed" the Scorpio with no set specs, no demos, not even a glimpse of the console - it was basically just a sheet saying "it will probably have this". They did that because they threw something together last minute to try and pre emptively one up Sony. Scorpio probably was supposed to be the next gen Xbox. At the time of reveal, Sony was way too far into finishing up PS Pro to up the specs or add in other hardware features, specifically 4K blu Ray. But again, I think that can be patched in to certain newer disk drives. So, honestly, this is one of those times where I'm going to patiently wait it out, and if I'm proven right no one will know except maybe anyone who remembers this post. But we'll see. Sony is in the driver seat, ps Pro isnt a reaction to Scorpio, it's the other way around, so I'm not going to mull over things that were inevitably too late to change or include regardless, and Ps Pro still plays nice on 4K in every other aspect so... We'll let the market decide the Pros fate (-: I'll be picking mine up around launch.

edit - Andrew House claims it can't be upgraded via firmware. Still can't find a reason why. Pretty sure they use the same kinds of discs, just with more layers for more storage.

You are absolutely right about the Scorpio. Just more MS talking out their rear to react to the PS4Pro. It's most likely the next gen Xbox and no one will care either way with the Pro coming first and the PS5 comic right behind the Scorpio.

The lack of 4K Blu Ray is irrelevant since the original PS4 has no 4K support period and that will remain the best selling model. Most people don't even have a 4KTV so Sony is smart not to include it.

No one is buying sn XOS for 4K and the console is not selling better overall with the feature.  Bottom line is the internet is being over dramatic as usual. First people b*tched about a console upgrade and bow they are b*itching about one aspect of the console lol.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
kowenicki said:

Its not a bad design choice, how can it be, it saves money.  Its a good design choice... for Sony.

Thats not the issue.  The issue is Sony using its market dominance to omit it. Its a bad design choice for the consumer, there is simply no way to say otherwise and not look foolish or biased.

Sony currently look like they are saying, "ah well, you can always buy our streaming service or buy our dedicated player"

It saves money - then it isn't a bad design choice for the consumer.

You mean it is a bad design choice for the people wanting a 4K player combined with a console year this year.

I don't want a 4K blu-ray physical media player - thus it is a good design choice for me.. since it is cheaper.

You can't sweep everything under the rug as "it is bad for the consumer" when it isn't. It is bad for a select group of people. That question is how big is that select group of people.

I'd say - not very big.

Exactly plus what movies are even in 4K? I already have tons of Blu Ray movies and Civil War (the biggest movie of the year) is not in 4K. It makes no sense to include a feature that most won't even be able to use. Plus the slim PS4 is still the primary model and will remain that way. 

kowenicki said:
LivingMetal said:

No it doesn't.  Just buy a 4k player.  Or those who have already have a collection more than likely already have a 4k player.  Don't make up false issues in an attempt to bolster your false argument.

"We have a product for people who want to watch 4k blu-rays, it's called a Sony dedicated player, thank you". Sounds familiar.

No.  Should it?

No, not really. Physical distribution for movies and TV shows is going to the way of the dodo. Let's be real here; streaming services are taking over. That being said, It's highly likely Sony is going to either introduce their own 4K movie streaming service, or make the option available through the PS Store. I rarely watch movies on my PS4, and if for whatever reason I decide to watch a 4K Blu-Ray down the road, well then I guess that's what purpose my XB1 S will serve.

Turkish said:

They practically force people with 4K tvs to buy an Xbone S or Scorpio now, I certainly would if I got meself one of them shiny Oled tvs with HDR. Not to mention Scorpio is 6Tflopz so games will look better on it(probably native 4K), that's a given with 1.8tflopz of difference and after yesterday's talk of temporal solutions etc.

PS4P should've been 499 with better specs and the new Bluray drive included. The console is meant for the hardcore anyway, why not go all in?

Seriously tho, no support of the newest medium and one they have such vested interest in, is so un-Sony like. Sony was always on the forefront of new technology and I've never seen them cheap out like this.

Absoltely not, this crappy sub woofer that I bought on sale for my entertainment system is.  First tech I have bought from Sony in a long time, maybe since my walkman in the 80's besides the PS4.

I regret being cheap. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

LivingMetal said:
Azzanation said:
It sucks for those who have collected many 4k Blu Ray disks. It definitely doesnt sound like the best choice for a 4k TV. For gaming its great. I had no plans on buying a Xbox Slim but now im considering buying one due to the player.

Or just purchase the competition player which is cheaper than current players on the market.  You do know a lot of people rent movies from places like Red Box and Netflix.  For someone like myself who prefer disc over streaming, Sony pretty much make the decision easy for me which system I will be upgrading,