By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC highest Settings

Wel, i doubt that PC pic is really maxed myself.
(It being from GAF doens't do much to convince me either)

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
torok said:

I just question which advantages the Pro brings to 1080p TVs. Maybe downscalling to simulate a super AA?

It's already been revealed that several developers will be offering a settings menu in their PS4 NEO/Pro version,
where the player can choose if they want "near" 4k resolution, if they want 1080p w/ max FX, or 1080p w/ max FPS.

---------------------------------

The Deus Ex comparision honestly is pretty distinct, the volumetric lighting (?) from the lamps, and reflections of all that in wet ground.
Still, the PS4 NEO version looks very nice, to be fair, this is very early version which can be further optimized and so on.

----------------------------------

JRPGfan said:

HTupolev from neogaf explains how this is possible (the gpu punching above its weight class).

"The checkerboard refers to a special sample grid that frames are rendered on; whatever resolution you want at your output, your checkerboard frame has to render half that many pixels.

Imagine rendering all of the red pixels, and then reconstructing the green ones:

So PS4 NEO supposedly has dedicated HW to faciliate this sort of thing, that reduces the load on the GPU.  Unclear if the entire process is off-loaded onto special hardware (in other words, that it is 100% free), or if the dedicated HW still "works with" the normal shader/computer cores.  Also interesting would be whether the technique would be beneficial on PS4 OG (or Xbone for that matter), even without dedicated hardware.

mutantsushi said:
torok said:

I just question which advantages the Pro brings to 1080p TVs. Maybe downscalling to simulate a super AA?

It's already been revealed that several developers will be offering a settings menu in their PS4 NEO/Pro version,
where the player can choose if they want "near" 4k resolution, if they want 1080p w/ max FX, or 1080p w/ max FPS.

So PS4 NEO supposedly has dedicated HW to faciliate this sort of thing, that reduces the load on the GPU.  Unclear if the entire process is off-loaded onto special hardware (in other words, that it is 100% free), or if the dedicated HW still "works with" the normal shader/computer cores.  Also interesting would be whether the technique would be beneficial on PS4 OG (or Xbone for that matter), even without dedicated hardware.

I believe so. They still need to render more pixles than 1440p is though.

I wonder if the same is possible on PC graphics cards in the future? it would probably be labled a "cheat" since theyre running only half as many pixles but if it allows budget 4k on pc as well... Id be all for it.

CGI-Quality said:
contestgamer said:

This comparison makes NO sense. On the PC the ability to pirate games can save users thousands of dollars PER YEAR. So yes, the box itself is more expensive, but users can make up the difference within a single year and thereafter its all savings. A high end PC is much more economically sound than a PS4.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with a graphical comparison. At all.

Also, Denuvo pretty much killed PC piracy, unless waiting a year is reasonable. Anyone saying otherwise is full of BS or playing just indies or japanese ports.

Just Cause 3 isn't cracked yet. ROTR just last month, Doom was cracked just this week. Denuvo is actually being pretty hard to beat and as soon as they start cracking one version, they launch a new one.

mutantsushi said:

The Deus Ex comparision honestly is pretty distinct, the volumetric lighting (?) from the lamps, and reflections of all that in wet ground.
Still, the PS4 NEO version looks very nice, to be fair, this is very early version which can be further optimized and so on.

----------------------------------

Yes, I didn't saw the settings for games like ROTR. Don't think it will be the rule, but it's a welcome add-on.

Checkerboard rendering basically closed the gap it needed to reach 4K. The new model is a bit more than 2 times more powerful, but it actually needs to push 4 times more pixels, so it basically made it work nicely. The image is a bit softer than a native 4K frame, but still looks damn close while saving 2X in performance.

Around the Network
torok said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with a graphical comparison. At all.

Also, Denuvo pretty much killed PC piracy, unless waiting a year is reasonable. Anyone saying otherwise is full of BS or playing just indies or japanese ports.

Just Cause 3 isn't cracked yet. ROTR just last month, Doom was cracked just this week. Denuvo is actually being pretty hard to beat and as soon as they start cracking one version, they launch a new one.

Denuvo hasnt really killed much, ironically this games focus, Tomb Raider which was protected by Denuvo has been available to pirate for months now. Yeah some games havent been cracked, but 99% of the video game market either doesnt use Denuvo or does and has been cracked. We're talking about a handful or two games which havent been cracked.  PC piracy still saves people thousands od dollars even if they did want to buy the occassional Denuvo protected game

I wish I had a 4K/HDR monitor. I have no idea what the differences look like.

The PS5 Exists. 

I can't tell the difference

contestgamer said:
Bandorr said:

You are basically suggesting theft is easier, so it is better. That is illogical at best.

I'm saying the PC provides far more economical value than the PS4 once you factor in piracy. I'm not making a value judgement of the act itself, but of its economics, which makes the PC a much cheaper choice in the long run.

...and a burden to the gaming industry.

Hunting Season is done...

CGI-Quality said:

Newer (and better) images:

PC 4K Native:

PS4 Pro

That skeleton took an arrow to everything but the knee!

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....