By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumour: Nintendo NX To Feature A Split D-Pad And Share Button

Einsam_Delphin said:
SuperNova said:

Lets play Video games also has a new Report detailing the devkits dimensions and port locations.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-nx-handheld-dimensions-layout-info-lack-of-region-lock/#comment-1082

Appearently the devkit is 205x92x25 mm without controllers and 281x91x25 with them. The controllers attach to the device kind of like the old Apply lightning cable used to, with little hooks securing the connector.
They also state no region lock.

How credible is this site? I've never heard of them before, and their poor drawings certainly don't help things lel.

As for the size they're touting, it is quite close to the 3DS XL which has dimensions of 156 mm wide x 93 mm high x 22 mm thick, but even without controllers attached it's still significantly wider, probably too much so to fit in your pocket, and definitely too much with the controllers attached. The reason for that extra width despite the same height and thickness can only be that 6.2 inch screen. It alone is almost the size of a 3DS XL, so they gotta increase how wide it is so there's space for the buttons. I strongly believe such a screen size isn't worth the loss of portability, so I'm hoping this isn't true.

If the rumors are true, then that loss of portability would need to happen. It would be more a tablet then a handheld. At least in portability.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
SuperNova said:

Lets play Video games also has a new Report detailing the devkits dimensions and port locations.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-nx-handheld-dimensions-layout-info-lack-of-region-lock/#comment-1082

Appearently the devkit is 205x92x25 mm without controllers and 281x91x25 with them. The controllers attach to the device kind of like the old Apply lightning cable used to, with little hooks securing the connector.

How credible is this site? I've never heard of them before, and their poor drawings certainly don't help things lel.

As for the size they're touting, it is quite close to the 3DS XL which has dimensions of 156 mm wide x 93 mm high x 22 mm thick, but even without controllers attached it's still significantly wider, probably too much so to fit in your pocket, and definitely too much with the controllers attached. The reason for that extra width despite the same height and thickness can only be that 6.2 inch screen. It alone is almost the size of a 3DS XL, so they gotta increase how wide it is so there's space for the buttons. I strongly believe such a screen size isn't worth the loss of portability, so I'm hoping this isn't true.

Lets play Videogames is a fairly new site and it's run by the former destructoid UK team, so these are legit journalists. They formed lpvg when Destructoid decided to axe the UK devision because of budget cuts.

As for the dimensions, keeping in mind that this is allegedly a dev kit, the screen would either have to be almost feakishly long at about 80x180 - 190 mm for them to make sense or if it had WiiU dimensions (inkeeping with earlier rumors) be 80x140mm and have around 3 cm of unused space on each side on the screen.

This seems very wierd to me. Also according to this, at least the dev kit is bigger than the WiiU gamepad (ecept in height) and would be very elongated.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

If the rumors are true, then that loss of portability would need to happen.

Why?

SuperNova said:

Lets play Videogames is a fairly new site and it's run by the former destructoid UK team, so these are legit journalists. They formed lpvg when Destructoid decided to axe the UK devision because of budget cuts.

As for the dimensions, keeping in mind that this is allegedly a dev kit, the screen would either have to be almost feakishly long at about 80x180 - 190 mm for them to make sense or if it had WiiU dimensions (inkeeping with earlier rumors) be 80x140mm and have around 3 cm of unused space on each side on the screen.

This seems very wierd to me. Also according to this, at least the dev kit is bigger than the WiiU gamepad (ecept in height) and would be very elongated.

Oh yeah you're right, no way they'll use a freakishly long screen, and there should be no reason for the NX minus detachable controllers to be bigger than it's screen, certainly not according to the images they drew. Could mean they just made up the dimensions without checking if they were logical, but also could just mean the dev kit is wider for some reason, but then what did they base their drawing off of? Something doesn't add up here!

Einsam_Delphin said:
SuperNova said:

In my opinion, something in the 5" range would be better.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

In my opinion, something in the 5" range would be better.

Actually, after thinking about it, I'm stupid! Somehow I didn't consider the detachable controllers and how they can aid portability, I mean it's so obvious! Just detach them and put em flat in your pocket infront or behind the NX (like a bookshelf) so you're increasing thickness not width. I know I can fit both a 3DS and a 3DS XL in my pocket afterall. So that's actually another benefit of detachable controllers, letting you have a bigger screen without portability loss.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

If the rumors are true, then that loss of portability would need to happen.

Why?

SuperNova said:

Oh yeah you're right, no way they'll use a freakishly long screen, and there should be no reason for the NX minus detachable controllers to be bigger than it's screen, certainly not according to the images they drew. Could mean they just made up the dimensions without checking if they were logical, but also could just mean the dev kit is wider for some reason, but then what did they base their drawing off of? Something doesn't add up here!

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I don't know, early dev kits can look pretty atrocious and maybe they needed additional space for cooling or something (inkeeping with the Eurogamer rumor about active fan cooliing). But then what are they basing their diagrams on?

Also just having a handheld that is almost 30 cm wide with controllers attached? I don't really see it. If anything I expect the NX (if it is indeed what these rumors imply) to be LESS bulky and slightly thinner and smaller than the gamepad....

You guys need to give it up with a "pocket" thing. This is not designed to go into your pocket. If you want that, that's what a 3DS is for, which Nintendo is supporting until 2018.

This is a tablet sized device and it has to be tablet sized.

A Tegra X1 would melt the inside of a 3DS in two hours or kill the battery in the same time, which ever comes first. This system was always going to be in the same ball park size wise as the Wii U tablet.

Modern thermals demand it, it's a simple as that. The chip needs room to dissipate heat, also if you want battery life longer than 90 minutes, you need a very large battery here, 8000 MaH probably minimum, 10,000 MaH more likely. The battery alone could be the size of a 3DS XL. 

Dunban67 said:
"share button" to share to You Tube??? Don t think so

Oh, it's true. Nintendo will just own all vids that go through the NX AND make all the money from them. Fair use be damned.

Nintendo is such a wonderful mess sometimes.

Soundwave said:

You guys need to give it up with a "pocket" thing. This is not designed to go into your pocket. If you want that, that's what a 3DS is for, which Nintendo is supporting until 2018.

This is a tablet sized device and it has to be tablet sized.

A Tegra X1 would melt the inside of a 3DS in two hours or kill the battery in the same time, which ever comes first. This system was always going to be in the same ball park size wise as the Wii U tablet.

Modern thermals demand it, it's a simple as that. The chip needs room to dissipate heat, also if you want battery life longer than 90 minutes, you need a very large battery here, 8000 MaH probably minimum, 10,000 MaH more likely. The battery alone could be the size of a 3DS XL. 

You need to give up talking as if you know anymore about what the NX than anyone else. Plus as the very rumors you're believing in just said, the NX would be the same size as a 3DS XL (when closed) only wider, so the possibility of it fitting in ones pocket is still very much real.