By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ruh-Roh - Will Sony be dwarfed by Apple's iPhone 7 conference?

superchunk said:
Hynad said:

Who are you trying to fool? You make it quite clear you approach all this with an obvious agenda:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8054514

lol really... I was calling out that guy's silly out of context post.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8054534

Huh? even if my post WAS out of context your post was ten times more out of context, two wrongs do not make a right.

But I fail to see how me pointing out the hypocrisy of some in thatthread (without making a direct allegation) as regards to that particular topic is out of context at all, unlike your strange move towards Mobile Games.

The thread was about an eighth generation home console and the media it can play, my post was about an eighth generation home console and the media it can play. Your post was randomly about a Super Mario IOS Game.

Anyway time for me to sleep and escape the madness.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
superchunk is VGC's hero of the day. All hail the mighty blob!

I notice all those that were stating 'different markets, etc' are not in here with any data to suggest I was wrong.

I agree that you lose a lot of coverage on mainstream news sites by announcing a new console revision the same day as (literally minutes after) iPhone 7 but I don't think iPhone 7 is going to steal a lot of its exposure on gaming sites.

PS4 Pro seems to get the spotlight on many sites so I think they're fine. Consoles only reach mainstream media when a new generation of hardware is announced anyway.

Eurogamer

Gamereactor

Gamesradar

Giant Bomb

IGN

PC Gamer

Polygon

PS4 Pro has just been added to Amazon for preorder. If that does well, I don't think Sony will have many regrets

Mike_L said:

I agree that you lose a lot of coverage on mainstream news sites by announcing a new console revision the same day as (literally minutes after) iPhone 7 but I don't think iPhone 7 is going to steal a lot of its exposure on gaming sites.

PS4 Pro seems to get the spotlight on many sites so I think they're fine. Consoles only reach mainstream media when a new generation of hardware is announced anyway.

<snip>

PS4 Pro has just been added to Amazon for preorder. If that does well, I don't think Sony will have many regrets

Yeah - OP was never suggesting gaming websites would focus on a phone over console. Just overall media coverage.

superchunk said:
Mike_L said:

Yeah - OP was never suggesting gaming websites would focus on a phone over console. Just overall media coverage.

No. I know. Hence the "I agree that you lose a lot of coverage on mainstream news sites [...]"

I'm just arguing that it probably won't hurt Pro and Slim sales that much.

Besides: "I notice all those that were stating 'different markets, etc' are not in here with any data to suggest I was wrong."
With this comment you tried to call out people who pointed out to you that a lot of potential PS4 Pro customers probably visit gaming sites now and then. So here I am showing you that PS4 Pro news indeed reached those sites.

Eurogamer

Gamereactor

Gamesradar

Giant Bomb

IGN

PC Gamer

Polygon

Around the Network

Your reccomendations don't show anything. Yes, the Iphone, which sells about 50 million units per quarter, or 200 million per year, vs the PS4s 15-20 million per year, got more attention. This would have happened regardless of which day the Apple conference was on. The Sony meeting (not even a conference) wouldn't have gotten a bazillion stories in the press regardless of which day it was on. PS4 news = interesting to a small part of the population. Iphone news = interesting to a huge part of the population. Wether Sony's meeting was today or in a week or a week ago wouldn't have changed jack shit. The announcement of the PS4Pro, which wasn't even surprising, as it has been heavily rumoured since april (so much so that we got the precise spec sheet back then) wasn't going to light the tech press on fire so that each outlet would write 2 stories (each) about how the PS4 Pro has one extra USB port or whatever. This is why your conclusion makes no sense. You assume that it would've been different to a notable degree had the dates been changed.

Burden of proof lies on you, as you are the one making a claim. So you have to show the data suggesting you were right. We can't prove a negative. You might as well ask us to give you data disproving that there is an invisible teapot with all the lottery numbers ever written on it, flying around earth. Shocker, you can't! Doesn't mean that said teapot is real.

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:
Your reccomendations don't show anything. Yes, the Iphone, which sells about 50 million units per wuaryer, or 200 million per year, vs the PS4s 15-20 million per year, got more attention. This would have happened regardless of which day the Apple conference was on. The Sony meeting (not even a conference) wouldn't have gotten a bazillion stories in the press regardless of which day it is one. PS4 news = interesting to a small part of the population. Iphone news = interesting to a huge part of the population. Wether Sony's meeting was today or in a week or a week ago wouldn't have changed jack shit. The announcement of the PS4Pro, which wasn't even surprising, as it has been heavily rumoured since april (so much so that we got the precise spec sheet back then) wasn't going to light the tech press on fire so that each outlet would write 2 stories (each) about how the PS4 Pro has one extra USB port or whatever. This is why your conclusion makes no sense. You assume that it would've been different to annotae degree had the dates been changed.

This is not a troll thread.

That's the worst part.

Jranation said:
Fei-Hung said:
Classic Wii situation again. Whilst MS and Sony fight over specs and TF, Ninty goes or pulls iPhone out of their hat.

Then sony and MS Follows? 

Follows with a price cut.  except the reason is eachother not Nintendos console.  

I firmly believe Nintendo won't target the PS4/X1 market.  Instead they'll try win back the Wii audience.  

Mike_L said:

No. I know. Hence the "I agree that you lose a lot of coverage on mainstream news sites [...]"

Besides: "I notice all those that were stating 'different markets, etc' are not in here with any data to suggest I was wrong."
With this comment you tried to call out people who pointed out to you that a lot of potential PS4 Pro customers probably visit gaming sites now and then. So here I am showing you that PS4 Pro news indeed reached those sites.

<snip>

Yeah - long term sales will be unaffected, absolutely true. However the comment on different markets to me is silly justification. The point is that Sony wanted mass media coverage. They wanted local news, radio stations, CNN, The Today Show, etc anyone who runs a tech segment to make mention of PS4 Pro. However, with Apple having event on same day that is out of the question as those media outlets will focus on the bigger fish. Reachign the IGNs and GameRadars of the world was never in question. But what about news.google.com's tech page? (see my post above) What about CNN tech page?

superchunk said:
Mike_L said:

Yeah - long term sales will be unaffected, absolutely true. However the comment on different markets to me is silly justification. The point is that Sony wanted mass media coverage. They wanted local news, radio stations, CNN, The Today Show, etc anyone who runs a tech segment to make mention of PS4 Pro. However, with Apple having event on same day that is out of the question as those media outlets will focus on the bigger fish. Reachign the IGNs and GameRadars of the world was never in question. But what about news.google.com's tech page? (see my post above) What about CNN tech page?

Again, I agree completely that an announcement of a new iPhone will always take the mainstream media spotlight over a new console revision.

But regarding bold: When has news of a new console revision ever reached "local news, radio stations, CNN, The Today Show, etc"? The point that I'm (and others are) trying to make is that news about PS4 Pro wouldn't have reached mass media coverage whether there was a new iPhone announced or not.

And actually, PS4 Pro is on CNN's front page and on CNN Money.